Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 PM

161 posts, read 575,176 times

Advertisements

I' am a single 24-year old service member in the Navy who is separating next July and is looking for a change in scenery and an exciting place to go to school. I like San Diego, a LOT, (especially compared to where I grew up in the Midwest) but despite all of the pros of living out here, the cost of living is simply not worth it for a young man like myself who would probably have to work two jobs while going to school just to make it out here. Also, despite the fact that people in SD are pretty friendly compared to the rest of California, there is still something about them (I can't quite put my finger on it) that I just don't like. I do have some really good friends out here, but I really want to live somewhere where people are more friendly and interactive, and I have heard that Austin was just as friendly and fun for a single college student as any other major city in Texas, or in the country for that matter. Unlike in Cali, I have quite a few relatives / family members that live in Texas, and Austin is only 11 hours from my immediate family in Missouri. Anyway I heard about the auesome live music and night life scene. I' am definitely interested in attending UT, but I have to finish my associates (I have about 30 units left to go) before I could transfer. Are there good community colleges in Austin that have good transfer rates to UT? A former co-worker (who just happens to be an Austin native) told me that Austin has one of the top community colleges in the country; of couse I would need a little confirmation on that. I also heard that the restaurants and outdoor activities in Austin were fantastic. I' am a big fan of watersports and according to what I have heard, there are a few really big lakes in and around Austin. Also, it seems like Austin isn't that far from the Texas coast. Anyway, based on what I have put out here, would a move to Austin be a smart choice? Any help or further info. on the Austin area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 PM

80 posts, read 251,757 times
Austin Community College is the one that you'd want to check out. They have several campuses spread out all over Austin, so accessibility doesn't seem to be a problem. And their credit hours used to transfer to U.T. -- I took some summer courses there that did. But you'd have to check with U.T., because their standards have gotten absurdly high. It is very, very difficult to get into U.T., BTW. I happened to get in when it was still strictly merit-based.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,552,207 times
ACC is very helpful (as is UT) in helping you find out which courses will transfer (I suspect it's something they do so often they could do it in their sleep). There are also other four-year colleges in Austin that you might want to look into, depending on what your major is.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
Austin Community College is the one that you'd want to check out. They have several campuses spread out all over Austin, so accessibility doesn't seem to be a problem. And their credit hours used to transfer to U.T. -- I took some summer courses there that did. But you'd have to check with U.T., because their standards have gotten absurdly high. It is very, very difficult to get into U.T., BTW. I happened to get in when it was still strictly merit-based.
Accessibility is definitely a plus for me. As for UT, has it gotten harder to get into because so many people want to go to school there? Also, what other universities are located in and around Austin that I could go if UT ends up not being an option?

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,552,207 times
St. Edward's University

Concordia University

Southwestern University

Texas State University

Tarleton State University

That's a handful in and around the Austin area. But by all means, check out UT, too!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
St. Edward's University

Concordia University

Southwestern University

Texas State University

Tarleton State University

That's a handful in and around the Austin area. But by all means, check out UT, too!
Thank you! I will check out all of these schools. I definitely don't want to get all my hopes up on one school!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM

80 posts, read 251,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
As for UT, has it gotten harder to get into because so many people want to go to school there?
Well, a couple of reasons. People want to go there because it's a top-flight university. However, laws have changed mandating that U.T. accept the top 10% of each H.S. The problem with that is that if you have a low-performing H.S. where the top 10% have a C average, they are going to be accepted over someone who has an A average in another H.S. but who didn't make the top 10%. So, it's not just strictly merit-based anymore, if that makes any sense, and the best-performing students don't get in anymore.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
Well, a couple of reasons. People want to go there because it's a top-flight university. However, laws have changed mandating that U.T. accept the top 10% of each H.S. The problem with that is that if you have a low-performing H.S. where the top 10% have a C average, they are going to be accepted over someone who has an A average in another H.S. but who didn't make the top 10%. So, it's not just strictly merit-based anymore, if that makes any sense, and the best-performing students don't get in anymore.
Well, hopefully if I do move to Austin, attend CC, and get my associates, I can transfer into UT. If not, I will look into the other schools. Whatever path I take, I' am sure that I would enjoy being in Austin, right? Although I haven't heard too much about the city, everything that I have heard so far has been good.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,807,051 times
I believe you'd enjoy Austin. Wherever you choose, best of luck to you. I'm a military mom, so that's close to my heart.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM

468 posts, read 1,223,324 times
I dont get the feeling that UT gives austinites much upward mobility, at least locally, compared to going to a UC school in CA. So maybe it depends more on your career path. Unless you "just want to have fun". But, I'm new to austin so I'm still feeling it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin