Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,656 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to the Austin area later this year from Missouri, and will be visiting shortly to try and determine what area we would like to live. The main criteria we are looking for in a neighborhood is in, or close to a golf course community.

Internet research has lead us to Forest Creek and Teravista in Round Rock. Mainly due to the reasonable annual packages, and reasonably priced homes. My concern with these two, is the amount of play they receive. I'm just guessing they are extrememly busy? Does anyone have any experience at either of these courses? I realize slow play happens, but I wouldnt want to join a club where it is a daily occurence.

I also plan on looking at a few private clubs. River place, Twin Creek, and Onion Creek. The membership is of course higher, but these courses are in my price range, and might be worth it if it's easier to get on. My research has shown you can live near these clubs under the 350k, which is about as high as I want to spend. I hate to become a slave to my mortgage, or my club dues.

Airport proximity is a factor as well due to business travel. We would like to keep the commute to 40 minutes or less.

Can any one comment on any of these clubs or neighborhoods? Or possibly recomend any others that might be similar?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,626 times
Avery Ranch has a nice club/course and you could try the Blackhawk area too.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I live sort of close to Forest Creek and Teravista ( in between, actually) but don't golf. My neighbor does and he's golfed at Star Ranch/Forest Creek and Teravista. I guess I could send his wife an email for details. I don't know about slow play or any of those terms, but there are always people out on the course. You should be able to find something for 350k and under at either Forest Creek or Teravista, but some parts of FC have VERY large, nice homes/large lots and mature trees so not sure if some may be over that (but I'm going strictly by looks, not #'s). If you choose one of the Round Rock neighborhoods, it's about 30 minutes to the airport via toll road, more if you hit traffic. But, the toll roads being new, there really is hardly anyone on them at present.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Avery Ranch has a nice club/course and you could try the Blackhawk area too.
+1 for Avery Ranch(no surprise). 21-28 miles to the airport, depending on route--easy 40 minutes by the toll road. I'm a weekday golf member and don't notice the crowds since I usually play in the afternoon. The course is actually open for daily-fee play but members get early reservation priority. Full memberships are also available to include weekend play but AR is not a 'country club' so you are actually paying for golf and not amenities that you might not use. Keeps the costs down. There is tennis in AR(five courts) but no tennis staff or clubhouse. Golf clubhouse is small, nice, good grill and special events facility. Super GPS system on the carts to help us newbies to the course. Homes here range from below $300k to over $600k. Still a bit of new construction as well as homes that are 5-6 years old. Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks for your replys. I will definately check them out. Especially Avery Ranch. I too am really just in it for the golf. Country club amenities come second to me. I really just prefer a challenging course in good condition. I think the main advantage to a club would be the comraderie. It's nice to have a decent size group who like to get together and play. Golf leagues are usually fun as well.

Love Roses, if it's not too much, please email your neighbor. We will be visiting this weekend, but unfortunately golf is not on the agenda . Really something that takes several visits to determine anyway.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM

76 posts, read 423,963 times
My husband plays Forest Creek quite frequently on the weekends, and I doubt he would play there so much if slowness were a consistent problem. When the days are longer, he sometimes even plays 9 holes afterwork -- walking -- until sunset. We have friends that have a house between 17 and 18, and the area is just beautiful. As for the drive to the airport, FC has easy access to the 130 toll road that takes you right to ABIA and will easily be 40 min or under for commute time.

It is important to note that FC, Terravista and Avery Ranch are public courses. Onion Creek, Twin Creeks and River Place are private. You can join Forest Creek Golf Club Austin, Texas Golf - Forest Creek Golf Club - Austin Golf, Golf Tournaments, Lessons & More, but FC Country Club, which was formerly only an event venue, is being turned into an actual Country Club (tennis, pool, restaurant) separate from the golf club. It's confusing, so maybe a resident or member can clarify.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Email sent. He's a buyer at Golfsmith so I figure he'd know some good areas, plus my neighbor has become a golf widow because he loves the game so much

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Forest Creek is a STEAL for the quality/play/toughness of the course. Depending on where you want to live w/in the community the prices range from okay for a Golf community to HOLY CRAP! are you serious???? As far as the amount of play, well it's no secret in the active Austin golf community, but you are usually able to get on on any day, as long as you have a 1-2 hour start window during peak days.

Teravista is a can't lose. Awesome course, ammenities are top notch, lay-out is great, practice facilities are up there as well. The homes start in the WOW, no really give me the real price - range. I've never had a problem getting on at Teravista within 30 minutes of the time I've wanted. But, at $65 during the week (at the time, don't know what it is now) that's probably why.

Avery Ranch, first of all for a golfer is a MUST. The practice facillities are TOP NOTCH. The course is 99% of the time immaculate. And the clubhouse/grill area is awesome, friendly and almost entirely centered around golf. Home prices, well...they are priced accordingly to a hot property. Even in this climate.

Other properties you might want to look at, Greyrock (formerly Circle C) in SW Austin. Just a hair behind Avery Ranch, and it's all down to the parking problems they have. There is Shadow Glen in Manor (10 minutes from I-35/Parmer area), that course is a freakin' hard course. Homes there are a steal and the "club" fee's for joining are pretty good. A little further out is the hardest course out there including the Barton Creek courses, which is Wolfdancer at the Hyatt Hillcountry Resort, just outside of Bastrop. If you buy a home in The Colony (5-min's away) you get a complimentary 1-yr membership to Wolfdancer. If you want a challenge, my friend there it is.

Blackhawk is another course that's unassuming, but can be really hard when the wind is blowing, and the homes are moderately priced to OH MY FREAKIN' GOD! But do not live ON the course, unless you like replacing windows and such. Fairways are no problem if they're by the tee...but nothing by the greens or middle of the fairways. Or invest in a net company.

Here is a link to the area golf, that might help for the available courses (most are muni, but some are really, really nice). Welcome and play away!

Golf512.com

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the great review. I'm excited to check them all out. Sounds like we can't go wrong with any of them. Since they are all pretty nice, it will likely come down to where we find the right house.

Thanks again to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin