Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,117,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Well, since I've already decided upon Austin, I was hoping to specifically discuss some of the cultural and traditional differences between Austin and San Antonio, especially with insight from those of you who have lived in both cities. Although I agree that Austin is no San Francisco or Manhattan in terms of diversity, but in Texas atleast, I think Austin proves to be very diverse in many ways excluding racial. Austin is unique in that it is largely liberal in a very conservative state, people are VERY friendly (you can strike up a friendly conversation with almost anyone, anywhere), it's a very educated city without being pretentious, and lastly, there's a definitive and distinguishable "sharpness" among many Austinites that one can find difficult to find in your average San Antonian, where people are overwhelmingly very ignorant and proud of it.

In San Antonio, it seems as though life revolves around Bill Millers barbeque, greasy Mexican food, the Spurs, country and tejano music, and a once-a-year tragedy known as Fiesta, which is heavy on Mexican culture, but seems to mishmash the prevalent "Anglo" bubba culture as well. It's like nothing I have ever experienced in my life. San Antonio is definitely by far the most uncultured and hick city of the ten largest US cities. I guess, if you haven't lived here and experienced it first hand (while also living OUTSIDE of San Antonio and Texas) you wouldn't understand.

And you think San Antonio is diverse? The city is sixty five percent Hispanic, and the the rest is white, with a small smattering of black and Asian residents. In San Antonio it seems as though you're either a "Jose six-pack" or a "King of the Hill country-fed Bubba". Not to mention gobs unjustified city pride and a pretty pervasive rejection of anything that challenges what San Antonians know (San Antonio). Yes, there are people who don't fit this mold but a large number of people there do, so it's very difficult to find transplants or more the more educated.

I don't see a same-ness among many Austin residents, though. Rather I see a community of people trying to be DIFFERENT, and reject media-fed popular trends...it's everywhere. The music, the style of dress, even the success and large following of non-chain mom n' pop restaurants and grocery stores. It's truly one of the most unique cities in this country.

hmm okay, these gripes sound familliar with another forumer in here, hah. Anyhow, San Antonio metro is 53% percent hispanic not 65%, where do you get your stats? San Antonio is 9th largest U.S hispanic market in the nation, 1.2 million, Los Angeles region is number #1 at 46%, 8.2 million. San Antonio, " Military City USA," the center of military medicine, among many other things, is filled with transplants that have lived all over the world. I recommend you open your windows and let all the B.S. out, At least on the San Antonio perspective. I think your air fresheners are about to give out!
HISPANIC MARKET RESEARCH - HISPANIC ADVERTISING AGENCY - BUYING POWER OF LATINOS - HISPANIC MARKETING - LATINO MARKETING

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 05-04-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Austin metro is nearly 33% percent hispanic and growing, so your not all in the clear by moving there, based on your gripes.
http://www.austinhispanicalmanac.com/Preview_Pages_2009.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM

I think if Austin had a four time NBA world championship team, Austin would be Spurs country as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is what I was trying to say but perhaps was not clear.

Heavy rains wash fecal choliform and other contaminants off of the land and into the creeks, polluting them. That same water runs downt he creeks and into the lakes, polluting them. Heavy rains over a large area can result in flooding and concentrations of these contaminants in the Lake Travis

I have had a sailboat on Lake Travis since 1981, so I too pay attention to what is happening out there with the water levels and safety advisories. I have gotten several ear infections and a badly infected cut on my foot from swimming in Lake Travis. Regardless, most of the time I consider it safe.

However, when you have parties like this photo in Devils Cove July 4, you can pretty much count on the water being polluted and unsafe.

Water recreation and safety
I would never be anywhere near one of those floating parties. But really - a concentration of stationary boats like that will cause little pollution other than trash. Safety is a legitimate issue - since so many of those boaters are drinking and the boats are so close together.

On a day in day out basis Lake Travis water quality is excellent.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I would never be anywhere near one of those floating parties. But really - a concentration of stationary boats like that will cause little pollution other than trash. Safety is a legitimate issue - since so many of those boaters are drinking and the boats are so close together.

On a day in day out basis Lake Travis water quality is excellent.
Are you kidding? There is no place for those people to go to relieve themselves except for the lake. Few of those little boats have room for a portable toilet, so where do you think it goes?

P.S. Best wishes... R

See my Public Profile for lots of useful information that I have been compiling about the Austin area.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...rn-551431.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-04-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM

20 posts, read 65,042 times
Default Variety of folks

Austin's demographics and ethnic make up are considerably different than San Anonio's. Austin certainly has a much larger Asian, Middle Eastern, and Multi-national make up. San Antonio has a much greater percentage of Hispanics. There is just a much broader cross-section of people in Austin.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Are you kidding? There is no place for those people to go to relieve themselves except for the lake. Few of those little boats have room for a portable toilet, so where do you think it goes?

P.S. Best wishes... R

See my Public Profile for lots of useful information that I have been compiling about the Austin area.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...rn-551431.html
I understand that. But the lake, even a cove, has millions of gallons of water. It is nothing compared to a neighborhood swimming pool.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I understand that. But the lake, even a cove, has millions of gallons of water. It is nothing compared to a neighborhood swimming pool.
When you get that many people packed into little devils hollow, it is very much like a swimming pool.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIgrad View Post
Austin's demographics and ethnic make up are considerably different than San Anonio's. Austin certainly has a much larger Asian, Middle Eastern, and Multi-national make up. San Antonio has a much greater percentage of Hispanics. There is just a much broader cross-section of people in Austin.

They are actually pretty close. San Antonio is a military hub which attracts people from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin