Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,985 times

Advertisements

I finally got a chance to check out Whole Foods downtown.

you know that sound effect in movies that plays when the angels appear, it goes like: "LaaaaaaaaaaAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Well that sound effect was playing in my head the entire time I was there, the place is like an oasis paradise within a paradise, I wish it had a built in apartment so I could live in the upstairs and be there all the time... I am serious! You all are soooo lucky to have this store here... (yeah I know it is expensive but perfection often is!) it rocks!

(FYI I usually shopped at trader joes & local organic or asian groceries in california. Also I found a new-something-farmers market store down the street from me here that is solid. But wow! whole foods! LaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHH!)

oh yeah. had to be said.

lllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,378,145 times
I agree!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,065,664 times
It wears off after a while. I like wf also, but mainly shop at Central Market for the better pricing and convenience. Even the HEB at Slaughter.Escarpment is somewhat of a CM "light".

But I encourage all out of towners we encounter to go there when they ask about things to do while in Austin, just for the experience you describe. Interesting that it's part grocery store/cafe, part tourist attraction. It's definately one of Austins' finest achievements from not only a cultural standpoint but as an example of the many fine companies that started here from scratch.

If I lived in a downtown condo I'd probably be there 3 times a week, but the shock and awe wore off after my third trip in. Enjoy your pink cloud while it lasts!

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM

468 posts, read 1,220,985 times
Hm. I'll go there to chat up the girls regardless of buying groceries... Laaaaaaaaaaa! Ah, so lovely.

Is central market one store or are there multiple locations?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM

98 posts, read 295,359 times
It is one of my favorite places in Austin. Yes, I used to be the tourist just walking around in aw.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 AM

I think there are several locations for Central Market. I like that place as well.
Did you know there is ice skating on the roof above Whole Foods in the Winter? It's small but neat!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Yeah the roof of the downtown WF is cool! So is the cooking school there.

I prefer WF to Central Market, because I just can't get over the Ikea-style "walk through the whole store" routing at Central Market. It's like an insult to your intelligence... at least WF is laid out so you can go where you want without having to take shortcuts or walk through the entire store. I do like the outdoor stage and music at the Central Market north.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,113,789 times
I am a Central Market person. We shop at both the north and south location. It is funny how people tend to strongly prefer either WF or CM. (And there are the Trader Joe's fanatics!!)

I remember when there was just one Whole Foods in the whole world!! I cheer them on as an Austin-grown success story but they are not where I shop.

But the headquarters is a great store.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah the roof of the downtown WF is cool! So is the cooking school there.

I prefer WF to Central Market, because I just can't get over the Ikea-style "walk through the whole store" routing at Central Market. It's like an insult to your intelligence... at least WF is laid out so you can go where you want without having to take shortcuts or walk through the entire store. I do like the outdoor stage and music at the Central Market north.
OMG! They have cooking school there? Has anyone ever taken a cooking class there? If so, how was it?

I love the outdoor stage when they have live music at CM North.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,113,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
OMG! They have cooking school there? Has anyone ever taken a cooking class there? If so, how was it?

I love the outdoor stage when they have live music at CM North.
Central Market has a great cooking school too! Austin is a great place for foodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin