Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Last time I checked, the U.S. govt just approved nearly a trillion $'s worth of spending to be used to improve roads, bridges, healthcare, infrastructure, etc. That is the money tree I am referring to. You might realize that if you read anything else besides the Statesman.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Your sarcasm is unwarranted.

How sad that you consider the US taxpayer a 'money tree', but you're not alone. Stimulus money HAS been approved- but has been accepted by Perry? If so, I hope it goes to road maintenance and improvements- not more toll road boondoggles.

By the way, I do read the Statesman....and the WSJ, WP, Infowars and other internet news outlets. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,886,513 times
Quote:
It does affect me because I live around 35 - the highway that SH-130 was suppose to relieve. Still waiting for that relief.
Maybe a sign on I-35 saying <<GO THAT WAY>> would help to get more people onto 130?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,026,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Your sarcasm is unwarranted.
was that sarcastic? Dunno. I just assume people aren't being sarcastic. Being facetious, now that I can pick up on. If you read the Statesman, you will see they fill certain sections with other journalist's work from papers such as the Wash. Post, WSJ, LA Times, etc. Therefore, I never doubted you were reading other papers - intentionally or not.

I-35 is already a boondoggle btw. Maybe, just maybe.. the SH-130 tollroad was built because they knew I-35 was going ot be demolished/renovated and an alternate route needed to be in place. This would be giving too much credit, though.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times
ACRE: Transportation Commission NOT using stimulus funds where most needed

"The Texas Transportation Commission controlled the stimulus purse and, as evidenced by two-thirds of the $1.2 billion for new roads going to tollways, they had a clear preference."

Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM

593 posts, read 1,379,690 times
Big Trucks will ALWAYS be on I-35 because they have to deliver all of their goods/products to bars/resturaunts/hotels downtown, warehouses along that corridor, and let us not forget all the strip malls and auto retailers up and down 35.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM

207 posts, read 859,509 times
A friend of mine's father worked on the original plans for this (toll) road back in the 80's. So there was some forethought into the problem Austin would eventually face. The original idea was for a loop around Austin to give people that were just passing through an option to get around downtown. According to the website, the section between 183 and 35 in South Austin is still under construction. Until this section is done there probably won't be any alleviation of pass-through traffic.

I live close to where 45 and 130 come together and worked at Slaughter/35 until about 3 months ago. 130 was a godsend when I had to travel close to rush hour. It was worth a couple bucks per day to not have to sit in downtown traffic.

71/290 was not the fastest way for me to get over to 130. I used some back roads to go behind the airport and over to 130. These roads were much less traveled. Sure, they weren't a straight shot but there wasn't traffic either like I would have to deal with on 71.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,263 times
We live in New Braunfels, our "children" and grandchildren are in Dallas. We use 130 just to get around Austin's terrible traffic, which we inevitably hit at rush hour. Many a trip pre 130 we would sit at a standstill cursing I-35, and although 130 is longer mile-wise, it is worth it's weight in gold to us in making an obnoxious drive less so--it may take the same time (or not) but at least we are moving stress free! We even bought a toll tag, as we hit this as well as the length of Dallas Tollway. It saves a few pennies, and certainly speeds things up.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times
An update: I was driving on SH130 down to Manor from where it starts up north, and what should I see but, within one mile, heading north, 3 semis. Those were the only ones I saw, but I have now seen 4.

Just to be honest about it.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 04-10-2009 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin