Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,756,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
San Antonio is by and large filled with a very uneducated, unmotivated, and complacent population. It's also very provincial and insular...people here are by and large are very limited in their life outlooks and experiences. San Antonio is also very poor, and the majority of job oppportunities are for lower skilled professions that do not require higher education (and no, higher education does not include vocational schools, as so many in SA assume). In regards to college educated individuals, SA is clearly lacking.

Austin is a much younger, more vibrant, and more educated city with a blossoming tech industry, and will eventually surpass San Antonio in regards to regional significance (personally, I think it has already). UT provides a continual influx of highly educated individuals (who often stay in Austin), which in turn attracts corporate entities which look for young professional talent. San Antonio has Trinity, but other than that, none of the instutitions of higher education are prestigious or highly regarded.

In regards to the roads, well, it's south Texas. Don't expect a freeway system as sophisticated as what you'd find in Dallas or Chicago or New York. Personally, I find San Antonio's roads to be horrendous; full of potholes, untimely repairs, and a road system that is too "small town" for a city of it's size and magnititude. In fact, that's how I'd characterize San Antonio - a small town city with a small town mentality. If you're looking for sophistication and culture, look elsewhere.

Granted, Austin is not the de facto capitol of culture of Texas, that's Dallas. But if you want to live around upwardly mobile people and seek out and active cosmopolitan vibe, stay away from San Antonio. It's very uncultivated and unsophisticated. Austin, on the other hand, has large numbers of educated people, is cosmopolitan (due to the large numbers of people from OUTSIDE Texas who relocate there), and is generally more health conscious.

Between Austin and SA, there's no comparison. Austin is a superior city, and I think most Texans would agree.
I wouldn't tell this to the many well educated people I know who live and work in San Antonio. Austin is a cool city, but I don't agree that it's the be all and end all of Texas Cities or towns, for that matter.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 82,578 times
Quote:
San Antonio is by and large filled with a very uneducated, unmotivated, and complacent population. It's also very provincial and insular...people here are by and large are very limited in their life outlooks and experiences. San Antonio is also very poor, and the majority of job oppportunities are for lower skilled professions that do not require higher education (and no, higher education does not include vocational schools, as so many in SA assume). In regards to college educated individuals, SA is clearly lacking.

Austin is a much younger, more vibrant, and more educated city with a blossoming tech industry, and will eventually surpass San Antonio in regards to regional significance (personally, I think it has already). UT provides a continual influx of highly educated individuals (who often stay in Austin), which in turn attracts corporate entities which look for young professional talent. San Antonio has Trinity, but other than that, none of the instutitions of higher education are prestigious or highly regarded.

In regards to the roads, well, it's south Texas. Don't expect a freeway system as sophisticated as what you'd find in Dallas or Chicago or New York. Personally, I find San Antonio's roads to be horrendous; full of potholes, untimely repairs, and a road system that is too "small town" for a city of it's size and magnititude. In fact, that's how I'd characterize San Antonio - a small town city with a small town mentality. If you're looking for sophistication and culture, look elsewhere.

Granted, Austin is not the de facto capitol of culture of Texas, that's Dallas. But if you want to live around upwardly mobile people and seek out and active cosmopolitan vibe, stay away from San Antonio. It's very uncultivated and unsophisticated. Austin, on the other hand, has large numbers of educated people, is cosmopolitan (due to the large numbers of people from OUTSIDE Texas who relocate there), and is generally more health conscious.

Between Austin and SA, there's no comparison. Austin is a superior city, and I think most Texans would agree.

Oh man, I was under the misguided impression that my wife and I were well educated due to our own achievements. I guess I have an out-of-state transplant to thank However, I do see your point. I didn't know wearing pants was more than merely a suggestion until I traveled outside the state

On a serious note, my wife and I have lived in both cities for years at a time (we currently live in Austin). We love them equally. We love Austin for its progressiveness and access to the outdoors. We love SA for its rich cultural neighborhoods and friendliness. Oh, and one more thing...I miss those SA palm trees lining the streets!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,358,777 times
Quote:

Hmmm. San Antonio has a medical school (which Austin does not) and 5 Universities. Doesn't really sound like an uneducated, uncultivated and unsophisticated city to me! Add to that a pretty good symphony, museums, shopping and I will disagree with your opinion. Austin, smaller, is equally wonderful.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,077,041 times
Quote:
Am I living under a rock or are you? Have you traveled or had experiences outside of south Texas? I'm entitled to my opinion.

Yes, born in Nola, lived in SF bay area for 10 years, 2.5 in SoCal, 2 yrs in Bergen County , NJ, also lived in Indiana, Ohio, Berlin and Austin. After all that San antonio is a definitely a hidden introvert of a gem of a city

Austin is the newly rich just think where the city was 25 years ago when it was still cool

Old 04-18-2009, 10:09 AM

484 posts, read 1,588,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I've walked around both cities central downtowns and SA's is waaayy bigger.
It's a lot more spread out..yeah.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,160,361 times
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. And I grew up in San Antonio. I'm leaving after finishing my Masters.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,767,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Sure I compared the Chron to the Current. Chron runs the same ads 5 times upside downside and all over the place to fill in space. My favorite is the one in SF and creative loafing in Atlanta. Gambit in NOLA is not bad either
Not true at all, wrong-wrong-wrong on so many levels. You could take the music and film sections of the Chronicle alone and completely fill the Current... wanna give it a whirl? I have last weeks Current and Chronicle. Loads more content; more creative writing and things to talk about; unbiased reviews, etc. For this and other reasons, I Just can't take you seriously anymore... your comparisons between these two towns border on outright lunacy... you bring no meat to the table. Like I said, if you're talking music, boutiques, indie, films, bars w/personality, green, coffee shops, breadth of festivals, pedestrian friendliness, et. al., you might was well be comparing Austin to Del Rio, El Paso, or Amarillo. I'm guessing pretty much everyone in Texas knows that; maybe you didn't get the memo, or didn't do anything when you were in Austin, your loss. Don't get me wrong... I'm not one of those trying to trump everything up; just calling a spade a spade.

Quote:
Man you living under a rock on this one. there are tons of perople outside of Texas who relocate to SA. This has been going on since the end of WWII. t Austinites are the only one that believe that Austin is the superior city
Those people you speak of relocate to San Antonio primarily for the lower cost of living (much more budget friendly houses), jobs (why most people move really), and because of the military influx, IMO. It's a much more retirement friendly, blue collar city. I know it's why I did and why others I've spoken to did. On a side note, that was before I got a property tax bill (yikes!). Austin is even worse in that regard for sure.

I never suggested that Austin was a 'superior' city though I personally like it more as my attitude is very 20s/30s progressive, and I love the hip music/film scene. The music scene is actually unparalleled in most of the country, never mind when compared to S.A. That's what make the bars/clubs/venues what they are!

Since we're passing judgments, I believe *some* people who live in San Antonio (such as yourself), have a huge inferiority complex. It is my belief that those like you spend the majority of their time trying to convince people (inc. yourself) that San Antonio is a better city while Austin needs no spokesperson as it pretty much speaks for itself (I'm just doing my civic duty but I'll leave you alone after this post). S.A. may be the better city for you, and for certain things (just like Austin), but not the majority of reasons you've mentioned. Faaaar from it. If you wanna sound credible, you should be selling S.A. for its down home feel, Hispanic culture, Historic value to TX, and for major attractions/family fun like the Riverwalk, NBA, Seaworld, Six Flags, Alamo, etc. Next thing you're gonna portend that S.A. is the music capital of the world.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 04-20-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,128,063 times
Quote:
Man you living under a rock on this one. there are tons of perople outside of Texas who relocate to SA. This has been going on since the end of WWII. t Austinites are the only one that believe that Austin is the superior city

let him believe what he wants.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Not true at all, wrong-wrong-wrong on so many levels. You could take the music and film sections of the Chronicle alone and completely fill the Current... wanna give it a whirl? I have last weeks Current and Chronicle. Loads more content; more creative writing and things to talk about; unbiased reviews, etc. For this and other reasons, I Just can't take you seriously anymore... your comparisons between these two towns border on outright lunacy... you bring no meat to the table. Like I said, if you're talking music, boutiques, indie, films, bars w/personality, green, coffee shops, breadth of festivals, pedestrian friendliness, et. al., you might was well be comparing Austin to Del Rio, El Paso, or Amarillo. I'm guessing pretty much everyone in Texas knows that; maybe you didn't get the memo, or didn't do anything when you were in Austin, your loss. Don't get me wrong... I'm not one of those trying to trump everything up; just calling a spade a spade.

Those people you speak of relocate to San Antonio primarily for the lower cost of living (much more budget friendly houses), jobs (why most people move really), and because of the military influx, IMO. It's a much more retirement friendly, blue collar city. I know it's why I did and why others I've spoken to did. On a side note, that was before I got a property tax bill (yikes!). Austin is even worse in that regard for sure.

I never suggested that Austin was a 'superior' city though I personally like it more as my attitude is very 20s/30s progressive, and I love the hip music/film scene. The music scene is actually unparalleled in most of the country, never mind when compared to S.A. That's what make the bars/clubs/venues what they are!

Since we're passing judgments, I believe *some* people who live in San Antonio (such as yourself), have a huge inferiority complex. It is my belief that those like you spend the majority of their time trying to convince people (inc. yourself) that San Antonio is a better city while Austin needs no spokesperson as it pretty much speaks for itself (I'm just doing my civic duty but I'll leave you alone after this post). S.A. may be the better city for you, and for certain things (just like Austin), but not the majority of reasons you've mentioned. Faaaar from it. If you wanna sound credible, you should be selling S.A. for its down home feel, Hispanic culture, Historic value to TX, and for major attractions/family fun like the Riverwalk, NBA, Seaworld, Six Flags, Alamo, etc. Next thing you're gonna portend that S.A. is the music capital of the world.

These misconceptions are getting old. San Antonio is a white collar city, it has the largest financial industry economy in Texas, Tourism is the 5th largest..

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 04-22-2009 at 12:25 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Well if your argument is 'spread out' or then sure... the majority of Austin's hip night life is concentrated in the aforementioned areas. But in terms of both quantity and quality, I don't think S.A. can even be an honest comparison... and like you, I have lived in both cities both very recently. It's a literal night and day difference. For the weeks that I've lived here in Austin, weeks w/o attractive festivals were further and fewer in between. It's one thing to argue for mainstream corporate attractions in S.A. such as Seaworld, Six Flags, Fiesta, Riverwalk etc. or 'entertainment' as you loosely put it, which could be a wide range of things, but strictly speaking bars, nightlife, theater, music, coffeeshops, film, pediestrian friendliness, and all things otherwise indie/anti conglomerate, you might as well be comparing Del Rio to Austin quite frankly!

Be proud! Most of those cultural events that I mentioned are mostly all nationally renown. Austin is the arguably the alternative/indie rock capital of the good 'ol U.S. of A, and with that goes a great bar/venue atmosphere. Nothing bar-wise or musically comes remotely close to that in S.A even with the riverwalk, unless you're talking Hispanic culture which isn't condescending, it's COOL.

Ultimately boils down to different strokes for different folks but San Antonio has a much larger corporate retail feel to it. Maybe you like Fiesta better, I prefer South by Southwest or Austin City Limits Music Festival. Maybe you like the Riverwalk better, I like the Warehouse district off 4th or SoCo more. Maybe you like Regal Cinema more, I like Alamo Drafthouse and the Dobie. Maybe you like Starbucks more, I like Spider House, maybe you like Toys R Us, but I like Toy Joy, Maybe you like Sam Goody, but I prefer Waterloo/Cheapo, Maybe you prefer Blockbuster, but I prefer I Luv Video; u say Spurs, I say Horns, you say wings, booze, and blues, I say Antones... the list goes on and on.

The cool thing is that the two cities are so close folks can enjoy both of what they have to offer! Hopefully you come to see me more though as I hate the drive

Edit: I forgot to mention to your reference to advertising. Have you ever compared the 210SA or Current to the Austin Chronicle? HUUUUGE difference.

Cheers!

I guess this person hasn't heard of Southown Arts district, So Flo, N. St. Mary's, E Houston, Lo Soya, Commerce Streets are lined with clubs. It's not just the Riverwalk that has nightlife. San Antonio has all that Austin has and probaby more of it, other than being the live Music capital.

Southtown Arts District.
http://www.southtown.net/

So Flo Arts district
http://www.southflores.com/smartfair.php (broken link)

LaVillita Historic Arts district

http://www.lavillita.com/

The Riverwalk is not all hispanic flavor, San Antonio has German and Japanese historic structures downtown and on the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk is more sophisticated and sixth street is mostly hole in the wall bars.

Does Austin have a Arts district like San Antonio's? S.A. has several, Southtown, Soflo, market Square.

http://www.southtown.net/images/header_performance.jpg (broken link)

Eating out in Southtown, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/dining/index.html - broken link)

1Sage Ristorante2Acapulco Drive In3Azuca Nuevo Latino Restaurant4El Mirador Mexican Restaurant5La Foccacia Italian Dining6Rosario's Mexican Cafe Y Cantina7Casa Chiapas8China Latina9Madhatters Tea House & Cafe10Guenther House11Blue Star Brewing Co.12The Filling Station13El Sol Bakery14Cascabel15Southtown Cafe16King Willie's Barbecue17Presa St. Grill18Taco Haven19Church Bistro and Theatre20Eagle's Nest Cafe21Jupiter Jazz & Java ABar AmericaB
La Tuna Ice House and GrillC
Holden's 101D
Joe Blue's

http://www.southtown.net/images/dining.gif (broken link)
http://www.southtown.net/images/galleries.gif (broken link)

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 04-22-2009 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin