Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a home in Lakeway.There are things we really like about it, and things we aren't sure about. To those who live there: what is the best part about living in Lakeway? What things are not so great?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,209 times
Lakeway is very family oriented, has very good schools, is far enough out of the city but still close enough to go in for shopping restaurants (20-30 mins), it has become a community centered around families and when the new hospital is built Lakeway will be self-sufficient, great views in many areas and of course the lake!

Drawbacks- Homes are more expensive and usually on smaller lots, lack of good restaurants (non chain), some shopping with the new galleria but still lacking, 360 and 71 during traffic or rain can be a nightmare, there is almost no diversity in Lakeway. Taxes are high if you are retired and have no kids.

We were in Lakeway for 10 months before we moved out to Spicewood. Lakeway is great for a community oriented atmosphere (walk the streets talk to neighbor’s….kids are close enough to walk to each other’s homes)....we really enjoyed living there, however we love Spicewood! We still have a great community with many family activities but we don't hear our neighbors anymore and yet we know them and see them everyday, we can see every star in the sky at night, we sit on just over an acre and have a view of the lake (unless it keeps going down and then???), people in Spicewood are not as concerned with material things as in Lakeway IMO, but we don't have sidewalks to walk the dog, riding bikes can be a hassle due to the steep hills and curvy roads with no sidewalk, you must like deer as they will become your pets as they eat your landscaping.

If you are looking for lake activities and getting out of Austin then Lakeway is a great choice. There are several other areas as well but my favorites are Spicewood and Lakeway.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
My mother-in-law lives off Hudson Bend on the Lake. My father-in-law lives at the golfball in the sky in Lakeway. My sister-in-law lives in Lakeway... The biggest thing I hate when we visit them is that shopping is "far" away. In Dallas, it takes 2-3 minutes to get to shopping. Here, it can take more than 20 minutes. That's far to me.

My husband and I chose to move to Bee Cave because the shopping is within 5-10 minutes and you can get a newer home for less than Lakeway. Plus, Bee Cave has the lowest tax rates in the area. We could afford $50k more house in Bee Cave than in Steiner Ranch because of tax rate alone!! And the views are fabulous!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Thanks for the input! One thing we are concerned about is finding a community of friends. We will be moving from out of state, and with no children in school, we will need other ways to meet people. Lake way apparently has a busy community center with classes and interest-oriented clubs. Do Spicewood and Bee Caves have similar offerings or other ways of getting acquainted?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
We looked at a house on the water in Lakeway this week.

Letting the kids even play in the yard seemed very unsafe -- probably a 50 drop down to the water, as the houses are sort built into some cliff sides, and that seemed to be case with a lot of the housing there.

But since you do not have kids, I suppose that would not be too great a concern.

Other than that, the town layout seemed a little "Stepford," but I guess that beats run-down and dysfunctional.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Pao's Mandarin House!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Do Spicewood and Bee Caves have similar offerings or other ways of getting acquainted?
I can't answer for Spicewood as I'm not as familiar with the area as I should be, but each time I drive out there, that 9 miles to get to the first community, from 620 and 71, irritates me, and I turn around....

However, Bee Cave has a lot going on. The main thing is you'll meet people through your HOA, go to the meetings. Also, they have this outdoor venue called the Backyard with many activities going on. They're also rebuilding this in Bee Cave so it's going to be brand new. They are also building a 100 acre park. From what I've read and have heard, there should be hike and bike trails along with regular park stuff. Many Bee Cave people use the Lakeway Center.

Hope that helps a little. Go to the cities' websites.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Also, they have this outdoor venue called the Backyard with many activities going on. They're also rebuilding this in Bee Cave so it's going to be brand new.
You say this like it's a good thing (that it's going to be brand new). At least it will still exist, though. (Wish I hadn't missed the last show at the original location, with Willie. Heck, wish I hadn't missed the FIRST show at the original location, with Willie.)

Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You say this like it's a good thing (that it's going to be brand new). At least it will still exist, though. (Wish I hadn't missed the last show at the original location, with Willie. Heck, wish I hadn't missed the FIRST show at the original location, with Willie.)
From what I understand, it's going to be a much better place with more amenities, so I would consider that a good thing. I prefer new over old anyday.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Oh, heck, let's tear down the Alamo and build something new! And shiny! With amenities! And a HOA to keep out the riffraff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin