Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think it would be a waste of time to call it in. The authorities don't have time to try and chase down a moving automobile over something like this. I seriously doubt that they would bother.

I also have my doubts that it should be a crime. I grew up in a family with 7 kids and most cars did not even have seat belts. Does that make my parents criminals? If so then most of our parents would be.
That's because our parents didn't know any better and they were just not available. And if your parents (or mine) were to do it now, then yes, that would make them criminals.

And I don't mean for cops to come and chase them down. But I figured if they had a license plate they could send them info or a warning or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Some states' car seat laws are really ridiculous. Can you imagine telling your 7-year-old, 79lb kid he/she needs to sit in a child car seat so you can drop him/her off at school in front of their friends?

On the other hand, there's absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't wear a seatbelt.
A car seat is not required at that age - a booster is. And yes, I absolutely can imagine telling my 7 year-old that she has to be in one. Sorry if she doesn't think it's "cool." What if wearing a seatbelt wasn't "cool." Would you be OK with not letting him/her not wear one when s/he starts driving?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,693,423 times
Just talked to my cop buddy. He says that, if anything, call 911. They are unlikely to send out a car to track down the vehicle, but if there is a car in the area, they might keep an eye out for them. He says that there are several officers that make it a point to look for these vehicle, since they have had to deal with the after effects (unharmed adult, mangled and/or dead child) too many times.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,380,071 times
I think that is totally unfair.

What about large families that have no choice but put all their kids in a small car? Sometimes those car seats take up too much space. Also, many kids may have to sit on their brother/sisters lap.

I don't think it's my resposibility to report anyone for that.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,068,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
A car seat is not required at that age - a booster is. And yes, I absolutely can imagine telling my 7 year-old that she has to be in one. Sorry if she doesn't think it's "cool." What if wearing a seatbelt wasn't "cool." Would you be OK with not letting him/her not wear one when s/he starts driving?
I have a seven year old, he is in a booster, he doesn't like it, but that's the breaks.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post

What about large families that have no choice but put all their kids in a small car? Sometimes those car seats take up too much space. Also, many kids may have to sit on their brother/sisters lap.

Can we assume that you haven't had young kids in your life recently?

All children under the age of five must ride in a car in a car seat, children under the age must ride in a rear-facing car seat. Currently, there is no law in Texas about kids over the age of five or about booster seats but generally kids need some sort of booster seat so that lap belts will properly restrain them.

This is the law. And it is necessary for safety. After drowning, the most common cause of death for young children is accidents, auto accidents are a component of that. I have friends with as many as twelve children, they either take two cars or drive their extended van (like a hotel shuttle) with every child in a car seat, booster, or lap belt.

Forget worrying about crime rates or how many sex offenders live in your neighborhood, seat belts, booster seats, and car seats keep kids safe period!

I know, it wasn't always like that, my little brother used to ride around in the back of our station wagon, but the laws are there for a reason -- to protect children from needless death. Talk to a highway patrol officer, EMS or ER doctor if you think that they aren't needed. They can set you straight.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post

And I think it's horribly irresponsible to jeapardize your children's life. Get a bigger car, or skip the trip or get a babysitter.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,542,637 times
Actually there is a reason for the 8 years/ 80 lbs rules in WA. The National Transportation Safety Board recommends those standards because most cars are built with seat belts to properly protect a person who weighs that much and is at least 4 ft 9 inches tall. Any shorter and the seat belts will not properly protect a child and actually hit in the wrong part of the body in an accident, potentially damaging internal organs and causing death. Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in children ages 2 to 14 according to the NTSB. So not really that stupid and definitely supported by research. And since it's the law, kids don't feel stupid because they have absolutely zero choice in the matter.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,659,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Sorry, I'd never even heard of a booster seat before. I became a stepfather to my wife's 9-yr-old boy, so I never had to deal with this issue. I was envisioning a large kid squeezing into some kind of little child car seat.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM

593 posts, read 1,380,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Can we assume that you haven't had young kids in your life recently?

All children under the age of five must ride in a car in a car seat, children under the age must ride in a rear-facing car seat. Currently, there is no law in Texas about kids over the age of five or about booster seats but generally kids need some sort of booster seat so that lap belts will properly restrain them.

This is the law. And it is necessary for safety. After drowning, the most common cause of death for young children is accidents, auto accidents are a component of that. I have friends with as many as twelve children, they either take two cars or drive their extended van (like a hotel shuttle) with every child in a car seat, booster, or lap belt.

Forget worrying about crime rates or how many sex offenders live in your neighborhood, seat belts, booster seats, and car seats keep kids safe period!

I know, it wasn't always like that, my little brother used to ride around in the back of our station wagon, but the laws are there for a reason -- to protect children from needless death. Talk to a highway patrol officer, EMS or ER doctor if you think that they aren't needed. They can set you straight.

Thanks. Just for the record, I am STRAIGHT.

Seriously though, I was just making the argument for those people with large families. I know it is a choice to have a large family. It is also their choice to drive around with their children or dogs loose in the backseat.

I have children also. I have two cars and enough car seats for my kids but I'm not going to worry about other peoples' kids if they don't seem to care about their childrens' safety. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin