Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times

Advertisements

Greetings all.
DW and I(and Katie-girl, the Scottie) are settling into our sixth week as residents of Avery Ranch. We are fortunate to have a lot backing to the 'green belt' and enjoy the wildlife and natural surroundings. Our Katie-girl(the Scottie) seems overly excited by the half-dozen or so deer that frequent the natural area behind our house. Of course, she has never met them 'up close and personal' and therein lies my question: Would we expect her to become familiar enough with deer to relax and watch them or do most dogs bark and go nuts at the relatively close 'visits' by the beautiful creatures? Typically, they pass by twice a day(sometimes more) and Katie is quiet if she spies them through the window but throws a fit if she is in the back yard and can see them through the wrought iron fence.

Just wondering if any 'dog whisperers' out there can shed some light on the ongoing dog and deer saga. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM

124 posts, read 564,028 times
hmmm. my dogs never spied the deer in the front yard, but they loved the squirrels, racoons and possums (is that right?) and occasional slithery. They never seemed to get tired of them. Small dog brains only learn so much? I did teach them the word "squirrel" in one day. Any time I said it they ran to the window. LOL

Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 AM

76 posts, read 235,970 times
More than likely your dog will continue to bark at them but may get bored with it over time. If you're wanting her to stop barking you need to correct her when the deer are around otherwise it will more than likely persist. Basically that will teach her you are in control of it and there isn't anything to worry about.

I find that smaller dogs tend to be alot more territorial and vocal than larger breeds and being that this is a new area for Katie, she is still adjusting to the environment. I'm sure she feels the need to make sure everyone knows that is her area.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 AM

198 posts, read 500,815 times
We walk in an 1100 acre royal park several times a day and there are 2 herds of deer, Red and Fallow, that live in the park. 99% of the dogs walking in the park are off lead and they ignore the deer completely, both big and small dogs. When we first moved here with our lab, she took one look at them and moved on, there were too many other good "smells." So where we live, barking at the deer would be considered unusual.

I agree with reverse about working with Katie to stop her barking. Perhaps it's the fence and a territory issue. Your neighbors will appreciate your efforts to modify her behavior so they can enjoy the beauty and quiet of the green belt too.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Thanks for the replies! For now, it's too flippen' hot for the Katie-girl to stay out for long; so, the barking doesn't last but a minute or so--then, she is happy to return to the A/C! Maybe it's the deer 'stare' that gets to her...they don't seem at all bothered by her and are happy to make eye contact for minutes at a time.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,771 times
Deer and dogs. You've been given good advice, imo.

I don't play a deer expert on TV, but have been around them long enough [over 60 years] to form an opinion. The UK deer I've seen are somewhat similar in nature to many of the deer close in to Austin. Same as those around Yosemite and Pebble Beach, and many other developed spots with "green belts". Nobody hunts them so they grow up comparatively unafraid of humans and our attendant critters [dogs]. Deer in outlying areas, though, those that are hunted in season, can grow up to be quite skittish.

Also some dog breeds are natural hunters, and will immediately go on the attack at the glimpse of a big game animal. Additionally, something deep inside those "suddenly attacked but formerly tame" roe switches on their "panic" modes and they start to run away. The attacking dog then speeds up and the race will be on.

Long story short the sight late one night of an adult Rhodesian Ridgeback in full pursuit of a yearling stag in and around the streets and surf of Cannery Row is both chilling and invigorating, unless you're the dog's owner. Talk about two hours of action and mayhem. No harm and no foul, eventually, but the two critters sure worked up a lather.

Good luck on teaching your lassie to not bark.

Last edited by Franklyn; 07-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin