Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM

90 posts, read 368,129 times

Advertisements

Are Austin drivers smart enough to stay out of the far left lane to let the faster traffic go by?

Here in Denver it's 50/50. In Washington DC, they're pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:46 PM

124 posts, read 563,969 times
not usually.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:00 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
No, I'd say Austin is much worse than your average city for that problem.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM

412 posts, read 1,752,095 times
Nope! lol

Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
Are Austin drivers smart enough to stay out of the far left lane to let the faster traffic go by?

Here in Denver it's 50/50. In Washington DC, they're pretty good.

We stink here! and it bugs me big time

Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Unfortunately, that is a quality Austin drivers lack. Expect to be annoyed by people driving slow in the left lane.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
you think that is a problem? what about bad drivers and speeders ...those are the worst.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:18 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
Nope...but it's a problem everywhere, and in Oregon, it's so much worse, if I described it, you'd not believe me.

I understand, now, why over the years, I've seen so many vehicles with west coast license plates driving at higher-than-average-traffic speed in the right lane.

Speeding will be less and less of a 'problem' as fuel becomes more and more expensive. Speeding, as long as it's with the overall flow of traffic, isn't much of a problem in causing accidents. It's the rogue moron going 93 when everyone else is going 70 who's the problem. It's not speed, per se, which causes problems, it's difference in speed. If the agreed upon speed is 40, fine. If it's 90, that's fine, too. However, regardless of speed, you've gotta pay attention, and it's obvious to me, driving has become the secondary, or lower, priority when people are in the driver's seat of automobiles. Yell at the kids, chase something on the floor, eat, be on the phone, whatever...all more important than paying attention to where you will be in the next five seconds, and what may happen between now and when you get there.

The term 'bad drivers' covers a disturbing, to me, percentage of the driving populous. I used to drive for a living, a tour bus, and I continue to be shocked more people don't die purely from not thinking ahead. They're not necessarily stupid, just ignorant as all get-out.

Then again, we have out-of-state plates on both of our cars, so we're, by default, "bad drivers". Yeah, whatever. Once you've driven a 58' long combination of a 40' diesel motorhome and tow car through both NYC and SF, you don't get fazed by pretty much anything.

Sorry for the rant. I've driven probably close to a million miles, pretty much all over the N. American continent, two wheels, four wheels, six wheels, and ten wheels, yet to this day, I can't believe how poorly people pilot 4-6 thousand pound projectiles. I guess what surprises me is it isn't getting better, but worse.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
you think that is a problem? what about bad drivers and speeders ...those are the worst.
I am a good driver and a speeder

Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
One thing that is important to remember is that "slower traffic keep right" means traffic driving slower than the speed limit is to keep right, not that the speed limit is nonexistent in the lefthand lane. All too many people seem to have the mistaken impression that if they're in the lefthand lane they have tacit permission to drive as fast as they want, and that's just not the case.

This is not to say that I never speed; that's hardly the case, and I wouldn't pretend that it is, it would be hypocritical for me to do so. However, I never try to pretend that it's the other person's "fault" and that they are doing something wrong if they are driving at the speed limit in the lefthand lane; it's my fault for thinking that the laws of the road don't, or shouldn't, apply to me, and pretending that they're the ones causing the problem because I want to set the speed as higher than the posted limit doesn't change that and would just make me look foolish. (Now, if they're poking along in the lefthand lane below the speed limit, that's another matter, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've observed that occuring in my entire driving career of some 42 years.)

I, personally, prefer to let the people who have such a misconception go zooming by in the lefthand lane, myself - then I go on past and refrain from waving as they are sitting by the side of the road talking to the nice man in the uniform, having taken the fire for me in their hurry to get someplace 15 seconds faster than I will. (Or, not quite as satisfying, pulling up next to them at the traffic light because they made SO much better time than I did by going so fast.)

Mostly, on a 3 lane road, I drive in the middle lane, letting the speed demons pass on the left and letting people merging onto the freeway do so without worrying about me coming up on them (or me having to worry about what they'll decide to do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin