Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's not a kneejerk decision. We've been thinking about it for years. My youngest has one more year of high school. We were considering downsizing then anyway.

Both of my kids were born and raised in Austin and never lived anywhere else. My oldest daughter didn't apply to a single college in Texas because she had no desire to stay here. My youngest has said the same thing. And trust me, we tried to talk them into it, for financial reasons, if nothing else. Both of my kids will leave Texas before we do, if we do, by their own choice.

I realize that it affects everyone, and that I am sort of the odd man out, seeing as I'm the only member of my family who is not from Texas. But I wasn't the one who brought any of this up. Actually, my husband was. And my kids are obviously totally onboard.

There is no timeline. It will depend on factors like the real estate market, etc. I work from home and can work from anywhere in the US. My husband's job is not so flexible, so there's that to consider too.

There are other good, even better, prosperous parts of the country.
That's good you're taking it day by day and not rushing into anything. It's alot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 10:54 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
My wife and I spent 20 years living in Sonoma County specifically Sebastopol and Occidental. Upon retiring, for 10 years we owned a home in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Austin. It would be hard to say one is better than the other. Western Sonoma County is still a very rural environment whereas Austin is a big city although (at least not yet) affected by as many urban problems as its larger counterparts. For us the biggest differences were cultural. The thing I really appreciated about Austin was the proximity to the UT campus and entertainment venues. The Sonoma Coast is gorgeous and rough reminiscent more of Ireland than SoCal or Florida. We now live between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe to be closer to family in our old age. If I had to choose between Sonoma County or Austin today, I would just toss a coin knowing that we would be happy in either place.
California has better health care overall and a better social safety net for elderly people, I believe. That -- alone -- would make it less of a coin toss.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:05 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Don't think it can't / won't happen. It has before. Texas was once Democratic, and California was once Republican.
Interesting paradigm you've cited there.

Also, though, I'd say back when California was "Republican", so were Oregon, Washington, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois and Connecticut. Republicans back then were often fiscally conservative, but socially moderate-to-liberal, much like Democrats today.

Conversely, Democrats were more conservative but blue-collar oriented and supported Southern white workers, conservative Catholic steelworkers in the Northeast, as well as people without education. States like Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky were staunchly Democratic.

The parties, by and large, have flipped.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:28 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
If money is no object and job security is firm, it would be hard to imagine choosing Austin over Sonoma.

If money is now or will ever be an object or if you may need to find another job, it would be hard to imagine choosing Sonoma over Austin.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:14 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If money is no object and job security is firm, it would be hard to imagine choosing Austin over Sonoma.

If money is now or will ever be an object or if you may need to find another job, it would be hard to imagine choosing Sonoma over Austin.
One huge intangible difference between the two states:

"You just can’t live in Texas if you don’t have a lot of soul." Doug Sahm

Old 04-12-2024, 01:23 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
One huge intangible difference between the two states:

"You just can’t live in Texas if you don’t have a lot of soul." Doug Sahm
I dont know about that. Ever been to Southlake?

Old 04-12-2024, 07:56 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Interesting paradigm you've cited there.

Also, though, I'd say back when California was "Republican", so were Oregon, Washington, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois and Connecticut. Republicans back then were often fiscally conservative, but socially moderate-to-liberal, much like Democrats today.

Conversely, Democrats were more conservative but blue-collar oriented and supported Southern white workers, conservative Catholic steelworkers in the Northeast, as well as people without education. States like Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky were staunchly Democratic.

The parties, by and large, have flipped.
Democrats between the early 1900's through the modern era have had a slow transition into becoming more liberal when it comes to civil and economic matters and from ~1940 onward they were considered to be left of their Republican counterparts despite meeting opposition from more conservative 'dixiecrats' (primarily in the south). I agree that the Republican Party did initially start off as the more open minded party when it came to economics, but it becomes questionable when it came to civil and human rights.

Abraham Lincoln for example, (the first Republican President during the era of the foundation of the Republican party) main goal was to keep the union intact as the North was becoming rich off of the South. He even stated “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that”. His primary objective had little to do with civil human rights, it just turned out abolishing slavery would weaken the confederacy (who already hated him because he wanted to prevent slavery from spreading to the north).. While I will agree in terms of humanism he did have more characteristics than the dixiecrats of his era as he and his party did believe slavery was immoral, he too would be labled as a racist by todays standards.

He did not believe blacks and whites were equals
He did not support black / white marriages
He also did not want free blacks to intermingle with U.S. Society and made multiple attempts to send blacks back to their originating countries.

So with all due respect I disagree that the Republican society of yesterday was any more open minded than either party of today.

Now here is something I find rather interesting when it comes to heirlooms and open-mindedness:

https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...reuters-2023-6

Old 04-12-2024, 08:08 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
California has better health care overall and a better social safety net for elderly people, I believe. That -- alone -- would make it less of a coin toss.
IMO your analysis is too broad.

Older people tend to need, or at least do better with, high intensity medical care close by. There is no universe in which Sonoma has better high intensity HC than Austin. It does not sound like the OP needs a social safety net either.

So far as I know Santa Rosa has the nearest Level II trauma center to Sonoma.......that's what around 45 minutes by car?

Austin & Roundrock have at least 3 (maybe 4) Level I trauma centers and all the associated docs, nurses, neuro-critical care, eldercare, ID and other specialized services right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin