Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 04:06 PM

539 posts, read 439,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
best thing you can do, is move back to nashville
They already live in Nashville, and I'm sure there are disgruntled people living there, as well.

I visited Nashville last November, and had a great time. Broadway was a mix of Fremont (Vegas) and South Congress (Austin). We don't have a Printers Alley, but we have a bigger version called 6th St, aka "Dirty 6th".

We don't have Nashville Hot Chicken, but instead we have Texas BBQ, which is some of the best in the country, and some of the local Pitmasters are really proud of their brisket judging from the accolades and the price tag. We have rivers, which we call lakes because we dammed them up, with Lady Bird Lake (downtown) being much more developed and used than the Cumberland. Lady Bird is a huge draw for the childless, dog owning, urban crowd. We don't have the Predators or the Titans, but we have MLS (Austin FC), and the Longhorns. Many people here lean towards being Cowboys / Astros / Spurs fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 11:06 AM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
We don't have Nashville Hot Chicken, but instead we have Texas BBQ, which is some of the best in the country, and some of the local Pitmasters are really proud of their brisket judging from the accolades and the price tag.

I don't think Nashville Hot Chicken should even be in the same conversation as Texas BBQ, one is an art form and the other is fried chicken with hot sauce. The proliferation and popularity of it and "Mike's Hot Honey" which is just cayenne and sugar, baffles me.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:54 AM

592 posts, read 589,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I don't think Nashville Hot Chicken should even be in the same conversation as Texas BBQ, one is an art form and the other is fried chicken with hot sauce. The proliferation and popularity of it and "Mike's Hot Honey" which is just cayenne and sugar, baffles me.
Was just passing by this thread but was compelled to respond. Sure Texas BBQ is good and stands up on it's own as a regional food dish but to dismiss hot chicken as merely "fried chicken with hot sauce" shows you don't seem to know much about the dish much less how it's prepared. The issue we have here is that hot chicken seems to have gotten popular overnight which has led to a proliferation of different hot chicken shacks opening across the country with their own spin on the dish (which most places seem to prepare it incorrectly) I'd suggest doing your own research on hot chicken and it's roots in Nashville's black community.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 8,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
They already live in Nashville, and I'm sure there are disgruntled people living there, as well.

I visited Nashville last November, and had a great time. Broadway was a mix of Fremont (Vegas) and South Congress (Austin). We don't have a Printers Alley, but we have a bigger version called 6th St, aka "Dirty 6th".

We don't have Nashville Hot Chicken, but instead we have Texas BBQ, which is some of the best in the country, and some of the local Pitmasters are really proud of their brisket judging from the accolades and the price tag. We have rivers, which we call lakes because we dammed them up, with Lady Bird Lake (downtown) being much more developed and used than the Cumberland. Lady Bird is a huge draw for the childless, dog owning, urban crowd. We don't have the Predators or the Titans, but we have MLS (Austin FC), and the Longhorns. Many people here lean towards being Cowboys / Astros / Spurs fans.
I bolded the relevant part here: It's seemed to me a huge travesty that Nashville can't think about proper usage of the river.

We've enjoyed Nashville just fine; it's struggling with similar issues Austin is from what I can tell (transportation, explosive growth, political mismatches as the capital city of a conservative state, etc). Austin will be much closer to family.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:20 AM

14 posts, read 8,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Was just passing by this thread but was compelled to respond. Sure Texas BBQ is good and stands up on it's own as a regional food dish but to dismiss hot chicken as merely "fried chicken with hot sauce" shows you don't seem to know much about the dish much less how it's prepared. The issue we have here is that hot chicken seems to have gotten popular overnight which has led to a proliferation of different hot chicken shacks opening across the country with their own spin on the dish (which most places seem to prepare it incorrectly) I'd suggest doing your own research on hot chicken and it's roots in Nashville's black community.
Can confirm - there's no hot sauce on hot chicken. Not sure what the person was eating...

Old 02-15-2024, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Don't be afraid of an older home unless it seems disheveled. I mean, I just put in an offer on a home built in 1950 and it passed the inspection (other than radon, which won't be in till tomorrow) fine. I mean, a house is only as old as the plumbing, electrical, roof, etc. There were a few issues but nothing godawful. I mean, of course there were a few issues - the house is 74 years old! But the current owners have lived there for over 20 years and taken very good care of the house, and also really took good care of everything they owned and they put in upgrades to live with, not to flip the house. To me, that's important.

Just some encouragement.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:21 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Nashville has White Castle

Old 02-16-2024, 06:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Nashville has White Castle
Well f*** that settles it then. Austin it is

Old 02-17-2024, 12:32 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackbox View Post
Hi folks - We are moving from Nashville to Austin in a few months and have begun the agonizing house hunting process in a city we've never spent much time in before, so we'd love some insight into the different neighborhoods we're considering. (Originally from Houston, so TX isn't new, but only ever visited Austin a handful of times.) We are trying to prioritize the school district while keeping in mind commuting distance to downtown Austin; we have had 45 minute commutes in the past and aren't looking to go back to it, definitely unwilling to go over it. Our kids range from elementary all the way through high school age, so every level of schooling is important.

Eanes is the obvious choice based on what we've read thus far. Can anyone share what the Cuernavaca neighborhood is like these days? It seems like a severe mix of older homes and brand new construction. I couldn't find any posts within the past few years on the forum about it, but that seems to be where the majority of the inventory is right now.

The eastern side of Lake Travis ISD is the furthest out we think we'd want to be, and trying to stick close to 71 might prevent the commute from going over 45 min, right? I'm wary of trusting Zillow's commute estimates. Does Lake Pointe have a good community feel to it or is it too close to the busyness of all the shopping?

We're also looking at the Westhood HS zoned areas. We haven't owned a home older than a 90s build before, so we're a bit nervous about some of the inventory we are seeing in that area. Are there still young-ish families in those neighborhoods?

Are there other neighborhoods we should be looking at? Thanks for any and all insights you might have!
The population center of austin is around 51st and burnet. Lots of new restaurants on the east side and south side. Most tech jobs are north and north west of the river. Most asian food is north and northwest. There are two bigger centers for asian food, airport/lamar and chinatown center (north lamar)

The thing I dont like about cuernavaca is lack of access to the whole of austin. You have one road to get into town - 2244. Getting to zilker and downtown isnt too bad though. Not a lot of interesting restaurants on that side of town.

Along yaupon (laurel mountain/canyon vista/westwood) are homes that were built around 2000 some were built even later, maybe 2011. The westwood neighborhoods have good access to 360, 183, and decent access to mopac. The domain, Q2 stadium, ice skating, roller skating etc are more centered to the north and northwest. The homes in great hills are probably half the price of cuernavaca homes. Laurel mountain is around 60% asian (half are south asian and half are east asian)

A little closer is northwest hills. The homes feed into doss/hill, murchison, anderson. You also can attend the AISD magnets kealing and lasa. LASA is by far the best high school in town but is on the east side. Northwest hills has older homes, but many remodels. It has a decent feel with lots of people walking around and huge halloween street parties.

I personally wouldnt send my kids to eanes because of all the rich kids and racists. Same goes for vandegrift and lake travis. There is an instagram page called racists of westlake. https://www.instagram.com/racismatwestlake/

Old 02-17-2024, 03:32 PM

539 posts, read 439,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The population center of austin is around 51st and burnet. Lots of new restaurants on the east side and south side. Most tech jobs are north and north west of the river. Most asian food is north and northwest. There are two bigger centers for asian food, airport/lamar and chinatown center (north lamar)

The thing I dont like about cuernavaca is lack of access to the whole of austin. You have one road to get into town - 2244. Getting to zilker and downtown isnt too bad though. Not a lot of interesting restaurants on that side of town.

Along yaupon (laurel mountain/canyon vista/westwood) are homes that were built around 2000 some were built even later, maybe 2011. The westwood neighborhoods have good access to 360, 183, and decent access to mopac. The domain, Q2 stadium, ice skating, roller skating etc are more centered to the north and northwest. The homes in great hills are probably half the price of cuernavaca homes. Laurel mountain is around 60% asian (half are south asian and half are east asian)

A little closer is northwest hills. The homes feed into doss/hill, murchison, anderson. You also can attend the AISD magnets kealing and lasa. LASA is by far the best high school in town but is on the east side. Northwest hills has older homes, but many remodels. It has a decent feel with lots of people walking around and huge halloween street parties.

I personally wouldnt send my kids to eanes because of all the rich kids and racists. Same goes for vandegrift and lake travis. There is an instagram page called racists of westlake. https://www.instagram.com/racismatwestlake/
Racism, or the perceived prevalence of it is not a monopoly held by rich white kids. My children were in AISD (at a Title 1 school, no less) prior to moving to Eanes, and they received teasing for being white kids when they were the minority. I think kids find anything and anyone to pick on that is different. Hair color, teeth, eyewear, weight, interests, clothing, complexion, behavior, height, and also their skin tone.

I am not defending the behaviour, but it exists in every school where there is a majority of kids from a specific ethnic group. I will also say it's not as widespread as it's made out to be. The examples given in the Instagram link were not date stamped, and could have happened a decade ago. How many happen each year? That would be relevant.

As for Westlake, do the math. There are 2700 kids, spending about 200 days together at about 8 hours per day. That's over 4 million hours for someone to say something to someone.

Last edited by cheeva; 02-17-2024 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin