Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 05:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Austin at the end of February & would like to see the band, Twin Tribes in concert at a place called Mohawk in April. I've lived in Austin twice before but wasn't there long enough to have had the pleasure of visiting music venues.

I won't know anyone before the concert so before I purchase tix online, can anyone give me any info on parking, safety, etc... anything?

I don't mind venturing out on my own & did so a lot in Boston, Seattle & Atlanta, where I lived for a long time, but as a single girl, I like to be mindful of safety first.

https://mohawkaustin.com/event/?id=532452771025281280

TY, kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 11:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Mohawk is a great venue next to several other music venues on red river. Safety is fine on red river itself but some of the off streets can have a lot of homeless (the "ARCH" is a few blocks away on 7th/Neches and that's the HQ of the Austin homeless more or less..

I don't ever drive there; I will Uber usually or sometimes take the bus, but there are garages and maybe some street parking depending on the night if the week. I'd avoid driving if possible though, just because the walk to the car at night would be a bit shady as a solo female. If you have a friend to go with it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Mohawk is a great venue next to several other music venues on red river. Safety is fine on red river itself but some of the off streets can have a lot of homeless (the "ARCH" is a few blocks away on 7th/Neches and that's the HQ of the Austin homeless more or less..

I don't ever drive there; I will Uber usually or sometimes take the bus, but there are garages and maybe some street parking depending on the night if the week. I'd avoid driving if possible though, just because the walk to the car at night would be a bit shady as a solo female. If you have a friend to go with it wouldn't be a big deal at all.
This is really helpful, TY. I lived in Cedar Pk both times I lived in the Austin area for a short while... & north of Austin is where I'm focusing to live again as those areas seem to be safer communities not too far from anything... so I wasn't familiar with the downtown area.

In fact, last time I lived there, there were BLM protests & I recall aggressive & violent people jumping in front of my car when on the road, or people's cars being attacked while at stop lights by protesters or those collecting money in a bucket for BLM... I've had my car kicked, had people try to rip off my windscreen wipers, been spat at & had to run red lights a couple of times so just avoided the area near the gov't bldgs (& the many underpasses where tent cities seem to form) all together.

Good suggestion about Uber/Lyft. I think that's what I'll do. For a first visit, wandering around in the dark looking for parking or entering a garage alone probably isn't going to make me comfortable. I'm not the fearful type, but the older I get, the less I want to encounter avoidable or unnecessary challenges.

TY kindly for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: