Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 11:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times

Advertisements

The H.O.M.E. initiative is seeking public input:

https://publicinput.com/Customer/Fil...3-f0bb75273935

The group behind this proposal that pretends to be an initiative for affordable housing are -California transplant high-tech billionaires (CTHTB) Please read this incredible article that uncovers a lot of the truth.
https://theaustinindependent.org/cal...r-online-today

Behind them are: Texans for Reasonable Solutions:
https://www.texansforreasonablesolut.../research-faqs

One of these supposed Texans Advisors to the Board is Claire Boucher A.K.A Grimes, Elon Musk's Baby Mama twice over.

Another name-John Mackey, “a vocal member of the Libertarian Party” — and “a strong supporter of free market economics.”

Along with Grimes a Non-Texan on this advisory board is: Charles Blain, a New Jersey native who now lives in Houston. I guess he is a Texan, since he lives here now this minute?

One longtime Austinite, Planning Commissioner Pee Wee Greg Anderson "He also frequently taunts opponents with social media posts like one where he posted a statement from people opposed to the Pool initiative and headlined it “the latest from boomers who bought their homes in ‘81 for 11 raspberries.”"

The basic issue i have is that this initiative gives lip service (an avowal of advocacy, adherence, or allegiance expressed in words but not backed by deeds) to helping house the average salaried / homeowner by providing affordable housing YET the very people speaking for it - the developers are giving out figures for these units they build to be about 400K-700K per 2-3 bedroom house. This is not affordable. I read through the PLANNING COMMISSION RECOMMENDATION 20231114-02 and it seems to me this is a "brainstorming" list of things that don't necessarily work together. If this initiative had a central body with a goal in mind and they could restrict the bad parts of the initiative while allowing the good parts to be passed, that would be great. Austin does not seem to do this, it seems it often has initiatives that are too broad and then pass to the detriment of the majority.

More troubling info from the article at the top:
"To put that charge in context, although the Pool initiative is promoted as providing affordable housing, it does not ban using the additional units as short-term rentals."

I am tired of people saying they are one thing and acting like they are "our pals" but really they are out for themselves.

Please read thru these and file a protest here/below if you wish-I will be.
https://publicinput.com/v1473#3

Old 11-29-2023, 01:48 PM

their data is flawed

Old 11-30-2023, 10:11 AM

539 posts, read 439,958 times
God forbid Grimes isn't from Austin. John Mackey, the native Austinite, and founder of Whole Foods: God forbid he's a libertarian.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:13 PM

Default I think you missed the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
God forbid Grimes isn't from Austin. John Mackey, the native Austinite, and founder of Whole Foods: God forbid he's a libertarian.

Grimes is part of a group representing themselves as "Texans" and she has no known knowledge of property or developing for affordability-it is weird she is on that board.

Mackie, his being libertarian can be part of why he is wanting to build Austin up and not really care, pretending to be "for" affordable housing. It is not a condemnation.
Thank for reading and please look more into what is happening.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:36 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
For those concerned with democracy-82% of the Austin citizens spoke AGAINST the initiative that day and yet some council members let it be known they would be voting yes even before the citizens have spoken. This means they did not represent us. They were autocratic.
Curios why you think turnout and % for/against should matter? Sounds ike you think the most vocal side should "win". That's a terrible metric to use.

I walked over and listened to some of the speakers since I live a few blocks from City Hall now. There were good arguments for and against, but mostly uninformed emotion-based blah blah blah. Good entertainment though.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:22 AM

539 posts, read 439,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Curios why you think turnout and % for/against should matter? Sounds ike you think the most vocal side should "win". That's a terrible metric to use.

I walked over and listened to some of the speakers since I live a few blocks from City Hall now. There were good arguments for and against, but mostly uninformed emotion-based blah blah blah. Good entertainment though.
Good point. I would suspect that the majority of speakers at any city council hearing are AGAINST whatever is being proposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin