Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 07:59 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/sav_says_/status...29817479516484

Palestinian protesters set off smoke as they shut down the streets of Austin, TX calling for a “ceasefire” from Israel today.

Where were the police?

This made me ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 08:05 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
https://twitter.com/sav_says_/status...29817479516484

Palestinian protesters set off smoke as they shut down the streets of Austin, TX calling for a “ceasefire” from Israel today.

Where were the police?

This made me ill.

If I am not mistaken the City of Austin's Leadership pretty much "Re-imagined Law Enforcement" down to the bare bones and there are not enough to respond anymore, respond in force for something this large, or respond quickly enough.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:50 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I can't help but wonder if pro-Palestine protesters truly know what they are defending. Palestine is dominated by the Muslim religion, which is highly conservative, if not just as conservative as Christianity. They do not uphold LGQBT rights or same sex marriage or even womens rights, which for many 'woke' Palestine protesters in America, comes off as a conflict of interest. I feel this is more 'anti-israel' than it is support for Palestine. Infact it can be argued that Tel'Aviv (Israel) is a much more liberal and progressive establishment than Palestine is.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can't help but wonder if pro-Palestine protesters truly know what they are defending. Palestine is dominated by the Muslim religion, which is highly conservative, if not just as conservative as Christianity. They do not uphold LGQBT rights or same sex marriage or even womens rights, which for many 'woke' Palestine protesters in America, comes off as a conflict of interest. I feel this is more 'anti-israel' than it is support for Palestine. Infact it can be argued that Tel'Aviv (Israel) is a much more liberal and progressive establishment than Palestine is.

They are either ignorant or stupid (there is a difference) or they just don't care in an attempt to "belong" and be accepted by their peers. What is occurring are these demonstrators conflating Palestinians with Hamas terrorists. As you point out there is quite a bit of hypocrisy on display by these demonstrators.

As for Islam (the religion of Muslims) it is, in an undistorted way, as valid as any other sensible religion out there. The Catholic religion until late also has not held with LGBTQ+++ or same sex marriages either. Each religion has its detraction's for some and attractions to others. It is just what it is. However every valid and sensible religion serves a very useful purposes to limit/eliminate hate and attempt to bring all together by teaching morals and values that are, for the most part, logical and good.

It is unfortunate that all religions are now under attack including Islam. I am not a religious person but do believe if religion is allowed to be perverted and destroyed then we are near the apocalyptic "End Of Days" as we know it.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
They are either ignorant or stupid (there is a difference) or they just don't care in an attempt to "belong" and be accepted by their peers. What is occurring are these demonstrators conflating Palestinians with Hamas terrorists. As you point out there is quite a bit of hypocrisy on display by these demonstrators.

As for Islam (the religion of Muslims) it is, in an undistorted way, as valid as any other sensible religion out there. The Catholic religion until late also has not held with LGBTQ+++ or same sex marriages either. Each religion has its detraction's for some and attractions to others. It is just what it is. However every valid and sensible religion serves a very useful purposes to limit/eliminate hate and attempt to bring all together by teaching morals and values that are, for the most part, logical and good.

It is unfortunate that all religions are now under attack including Islam. I am not a religious person but do believe if religion is allowed to be perverted and destroyed then we are near the apocalyptic "End Of Days" as we know it.
I have felt that these protesters are the types to immediately swoop into 'protecting the victim' mode without considering why they are the victim. But yes lately it does appear that many religions are under attack in order to bring more unity, which in irony is causing more division. Government cannot be successful at distorting the boundaries between faiths because for a Government to succeed in doing so, that party would theoretically have to play 'God'

Old 11-13-2023, 06:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If I am not mistaken the City of Austin's Leadership pretty much "Re-imagined Law Enforcement" down to the bare bones and there are not enough to respond anymore, respond in force for something this large, or respond quickly enough.
I would imagine that such is a big part of the answer, the illustration of you get what you pay for.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have felt that these protesters are the types to immediately swoop into 'protecting the victim' mode without considering why they are the victim. But yes lately it does appear that many religions are under attack in order to bring more unity, which in irony is causing more division. Government cannot be successful at distorting the boundaries between faiths because for a Government to succeed in doing so, that party would theoretically have to play 'God'

Tried to Rep you but this screwy system is weird. Anyhow you are on the mark with your points!

Old 11-13-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I would imagine that such is a big part of the answer, the illustration of you get what you pay for.

Agreed and if we take a moment to look at what is happening there seems to be a serious lack of long term version for many actions being undertaken today.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:31 AM

5,338 posts, read 4,424,945 times
Please keep this local, folks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Personally I feel its a bit deeper than that. There were large anti-police movements before the 'defunding' or 'funding reallocations' .. however you want to define it, the end result was still the same. There was far less patrol and officers were less effective at combating crime. Society in general was given a lense of perspective to view the police as the bad guy or the oppressor, and not the keeper of the law. Thus large population groups agreed with the funding reallocation for more 'peaceful' units while assuming multiple perspective viewpoints:

1. Bad police are the only law oppressors
2. Bad police considerably outnumber legitimate and dangerous criminals
3. Civilians have no impact on how a police interaction can turn out. A bad police is ALWAYS going to victimize you no matter how you behave or attempt to descelate.
4. Civilians and Police are not equally human therefore a Civilian automatically knows whats best for society or even knows local laws better then police do.
5. Racism and Social injustice can only happen with Bad Police.

The reason the left wants police out of the way has nothing to do with the social justice system or racial equality. If you move society in a direction of which they see police as the oppressor and can justify removing them, then effectively you can employ any radical group that aligns with your viewpoints or perspectives. If you disagree with that group, you essentially have no protection. This is just another form of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin