Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2023, 06:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,562,707 times

Advertisements

I know when I first arrived in the area, I was amazed by the contrast of how courteous people were towards pedestrians in an HEB parking lot and yet when they got on the freeway, drivers treated tailgating like it was a sport (I've driven in at least 5 different states and have never seen anything like I've seen in Texas). Honestly the only time I use my horn is to warn people if they are drifting into my lane or a quick beep if they are looking at their phone and the light changes to green.

When I read about this incident, I can't say I was surprised....

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/nort...oad-rage-death

I really wonder if we're getting to a point where insurance needs to change the protocol on how accidents are reported. I really would not want my wife to have an exchange between someone driving recklessly and displaying road rage (for that matter, I'd prefer not to be involved in that situation myself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 06:57 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
I've had quite a few 'potential' road rage scenarios while doing uber, and one 'actual' road rage event. The 'smart' thing to do in a road rage event is immediately disengage, do 5 MPH under the limit in the far right lane and let the A-Hole keep carrying a fit. USUALLY they will get bored and find someone else to take out their temper on, but if they don't.. ..call 911 and keep following traffic laws as best as you can unless the aggressor escalates to a point where your life is in immediate danger.. ..TYPICALLY, bullets don't go flying unless both parties contribute to the aggression to the point where there won't be any disengagement.

..but overall I do agree with you, road rage is a serious problem in Texas..

As for exchanging insurance, ideally if someone is being so reckless to begin with, most likely you and he aren't pulling over without police assistance.. ..unless he has 'other' intentions that is..

Old 10-14-2023, 02:40 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I've had quite a few 'potential' road rage scenarios while doing uber, and one 'actual' road rage event. The 'smart' thing to do in a road rage event is immediately disengage, do 5 MPH under the limit in the far right lane and let the A-Hole keep carrying a fit. USUALLY they will get bored and find someone else to take out their temper on, but if they don't.. ..call 911 and keep following traffic laws as best as you can unless the aggressor escalates to a point where your life is in immediate danger.. ..TYPICALLY, bullets don't go flying unless both parties contribute to the aggression to the point where there won't be any disengagement.

..but overall I do agree with you, road rage is a serious problem in Texas..

As for exchanging insurance, ideally if someone is being so reckless to begin with, most likely you and he aren't pulling over without police assistance.. ..unless he has 'other' intentions that is..
Yep, when I read the article and it said pulling over to a safe, populated place... I had to wonder where that was. If people are driving at night especially off of 35, that's not going to be easy to find. Many areas are poorly lit and it's not like there are always gas stations nearby (and even those aren't always the most populated... some are only open for gas with the convenience store closed). Then there's the whole exchanging of information with someone that's likely bat s*** crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: