Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 11:08 AM

44 posts, read 46,869 times

Advertisements

My dad is moving in with us and we're planning to build a 900-1,000 sq ft casita/ADU with attached 3 car garage on the back of our property. We've started conversations with several builders and architects. I fell out of my chair when an architect told us $500/sq foot! In your experience, what is typical right now for $ cost/sq ft to build?

We're in Wimberley and are not looking for luxury finishes. 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath. We can plumb into city water but would need septic and propane for cooktop only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 11:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
What are the comps in the area? That’s where I would start.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:07 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
1. Per sq.ft. prices will always be higher for smaller structures. That said, the quote still seems quite high to me.

2. Have you tried a home designer as opposed to an architect? The savings can be huge, and you'll still get what you need, especially if you want something simple and not an artistic statement.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
2. Have you tried a home designer as opposed to an architect? The savings can be huge, and you'll still get what you need, especially if you want something simple and not an artistic statement.
Building on our lot is a first experience for us. What is a home designer vs. a builder or architect? We're open to any and all ideas.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:12 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
We are currently building for about $197 sq/ft.

If you don't mind doing a lot of the grunt work, essentially acting as a general contractor, you can go through UBuildIt. There's an office in Spicewood. You can speak with Tim Poole or Cheyanne Wilson.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:54 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
That $500/SF would be for an exotic structure, difficult to build, designed for artistic effect not for function, and the whole schmeer managed through the architect. You pay extra for the beret and attitude.

If you want a small house of more or less standard design, I'd say $200/SF. Use a designer/drafter, not an architect. You may have difficulty finding a builder who wants to take on such a small job; these days the custom guys are all doing 5000 SF jobs for people moving out of the cities. A good GC can do the job for you, probably. You need to find recommendations by word of mouth, which I can't help you with in that area.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:30 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
About $400/sq. ft. for building in Austin a small house including all soft costs. Your situation should probably dictate a quarter or a third less than based on my estimation. Of course there are a lot of variables like site prep, topography, geology, utilities, etc. that can add a lot to the cost.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
if you go to the facebook group contractors underground you will find contractors that can do it for less.

You can also look at a company like kanga or ma modular that specialize in prefabs.

500 is on the very high end, but a nice place is going to be at least $300 turnkey. $200 is going to be hard these days.

I do feel like if you manage it directly and get all the subs yourself you can do it for $150.

We had plumbers give 5K quotes to connect 4 things to existing lines (toilet, shower, two sinks)

I had quotes for around 60K for my master bath. Had one company come in and say I was lucky to get a 60K quote they wanted 80k.

I did it for about 15K (custom cabinets) but I did the tile and plumbing myself, hired a company to do drywall, painting, cabinets. My GC who did the rest of my house did the demo.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:54 PM

Thanks all. So much good info! We've started talking with home designers and a few builder recommendations. We'll see how their pricing comes in, but they mentioned that they've slowed down considerably and their subs are hungry for work. I wish we could consider prefab structures but our POA dictates that we have to build in place.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:02 AM

539 posts, read 439,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
We are currently building for about $197 sq/ft.

If you don't mind doing a lot of the grunt work, essentially acting as a general contractor, you can go through UBuildIt. There's an office in Spicewood. You can speak with Tim Poole or Cheyanne Wilson.
I PM'ed you with no response, so I'll ask publicly - What did you think of Tim Poole?
disclosure: I don't work for UBI, and your response is anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin