Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 65,372 times

Advertisements

Austin Energy (AE), used to be a reasonably smartly run and progressive utility. For example, their program to propagate solar energy use was pretty cutting edge when it was in place a decade ago. Their programs to enhance home efficiency was also great as was their Green Choice program in which they were among the leaders to purchase clean wind energy for long term contracts at very low rates, which allowed them to be very profitable.

15 years later, I am no longer not so sure!

I've been trying to have solar installed at my home for almost a year, to no avail. Out of that 12 months, it took the solar company over 5 to receive the parts. Given the supply chain issues that we are all aware of, this was no one's fault. That was over 6 months ago. So why has the company not been able to instqall my solar? Basically, AE needs to shut off power to my home so that the solar company can install the panels etc. Unfortunately, it looks like their scheduling is done by a part time Grinch who spews random dates without checking with you. Over the past 6 months, they gave me two dates, none of which worked as I was travelling. All said and done, it will be 8 months before I get my solar installed. This cant be good for Austin's solar installers as it invariably means that they are left holding inventory for months.

On another note, have you tried switching to electric cars? Well good luck! If one looks at AE's billing, the rates are tiered - the more you consume, the higher the rate (per unit of energy). Many water utilities do the same as in theory, it should help increase conservation, which is good. The problem is that EV's can use as much if not much more energy than your home! This means that you automatically get bumped into a much higher tier as the meter does not know if the energy is being used towards your car or your home. Many utilities resolve this, by offering off-peak rates - for example, by having lower rates at night, when demand is lower. AE does not offer this option at all. They do offer off site unlimited charging for $50 a year, which is a deal, but it requires that (a)the chargers work and (b)finding one that is available and (c) you have plenty of time to wait, as it can take 6-12 hours to charge a car, as they are slow chargers.

AE is playing a double game. They claim to be in favor of clean energy, EVs, conservation, blah, blah. However, their actual polices suggests just the opposite! Should I have expected any better from a government protected monopoly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 05:01 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,448,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
Austin Energy (AE), used to be a reasonably smartly run and progressive utility. For example, their program to propagate solar energy use was pretty cutting edge when it was in place a decade ago. Their programs to enhance home efficiency was also great as was their Green Choice program in which they were among the leaders to purchase clean wind energy for long term contracts at very low rates, which allowed them to be very profitable.

15 years later, I am no longer not so sure!

I've been trying to have solar installed at my home for almost a year, to no avail. Out of that 12 months, it took the solar company over 5 to receive the parts. Given the supply chain issues that we are all aware of, this was no one's fault. That was over 6 months ago. So why has the company not been able to instqall my solar? Basically, AE needs to shut off power to my home so that the solar company can install the panels etc. Unfortunately, it looks like their scheduling is done by a part time Grinch who spews random dates without checking with you. Over the past 6 months, they gave me two dates, none of which worked as I was travelling. All said and done, it will be 8 months before I get my solar installed. This cant be good for Austin's solar installers as it invariably means that they are left holding inventory for months.

I doubt it was a random date selection. Most likely those dates fit with other installations in the area and they are trying to maximize the efficiency of their crews. A company can not be blamed for trying to prevent more road time for crews (hopping back and forth) that wastes the crews times. I would also expect the company is not connected to your electronic calendar to determine when you travel, take time off, get sick, etc.

On another note, have you tried switching to electric cars? Well good luck! If one looks at AE's billing, the rates are tiered - the more you consume, the higher the rate (per unit of energy). Many water utilities do the same as in theory, it should help increase conservation, which is good. The problem is that EV's can use as much if not much more energy than your home! This means that you automatically get bumped into a much higher tier as the meter does not know if the energy is being used towards your car or your home. Many utilities resolve this, by offering off-peak rates - for example, by having lower rates at night, when demand is lower. AE does not offer this option at all. They do offer off site unlimited charging for $50 a year, which is a deal, but it requires that (a)the chargers work and (b)finding one that is available and (c) you have plenty of time to wait, as it can take 6-12 hours to charge a car, as they are slow chargers.

And the reality of EV's is now becoming apparent to many.

As you said "EV's can use as much if not much more energy than your home". AE does not sell gasoline for automobiles and instead deals in electricity. If EV's consume that much energy, and they are trying to drive energy conservation, why would they even consider offering other than a tiered usage rate? That would be counterproductive to their efforts. I would expect instead they are pushing the use of mass transit which uses other energy efficient methods.

AE is playing a double game. They claim to be in favor of clean energy, EVs, conservation, blah, blah. However, their actual polices suggests just the opposite! Should I have expected any better from a government protected monopoly?

AE is not a government protected monopoly, it IS the government of Austin. Here too the realities of government run/operated anything are becoming apparent.

Responses in blue above. It is interesting that for someone who appears to want to be part of the Green Energy/conservation movement that you have doubts about it now?

Old 12-21-2022, 06:26 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,398,677 times
CoA is just run by incompetents at the top levels, that’s all.
Residents get what they vote for.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,588,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
CoA is just run by incompetents at the top levels, that’s all.
Residents get what they vote for.
Let's see if anything changes in the next couple of years.
Not holding my breath; but...

Old 12-27-2022, 05:05 PM

319 posts, read 347,411 times
Keep in mind that there are competent engineers at Austin Energy. But they can't speak out.

COA has great pay scales and a retirement plan way better than state or county employees. Would you risk your future by pointing out the false nonsense from the environmental ignorant people in charge?

Old 12-28-2022, 06:28 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Keep in mind that there are competent engineers at Austin Energy. But they can't speak out.

COA has great pay scales and a retirement plan way better than state or county employees. Would you risk your future by pointing out the false nonsense from the environmental ignorant people in charge?
Here here!
(or is it hear hear?)

Old 12-28-2022, 01:01 PM

319 posts, read 347,411 times
The latter. It's a British thing.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,588,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here here!
(or is it hear hear?)
Hear HERE!!!

Old 01-03-2023, 08:49 AM

1,108 posts, read 532,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post

Yea right like anyone actually get fired from a city or state job including your so called ignorant people in charge.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:27 AM

486 posts, read 536,200 times
I suspect AE revenues are being used as a slush fund into the general budget to pay for the city's endless social engineering and pandering initiatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin