Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 03:19 AM

39 posts, read 54,699 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I'm really considering a move to Austin with me mainly looking at living downtown. I have seen crime has ramped up in Austin, but I also hear how it is one of the safest major cities. My main concern was the homeless situation. I have heard of people's crazy encounters with them and I really didn't want to deal with that to be honest.

Homelessness has seem to be on the rise in a lot of places due to the current economic situation. I imagine it might get worse in Austin. I did read a comment on a YouTube video where it said that the homeless weren't really a problem due to setting up camps being illegal. Here is the comment:

The homeless issue was largely solved after a referendum last year that passed 57/43, making it no longer legal to camp in public parks and sidewalks.

This comment was from 4 months ago. I'm a single guy in his mid 30's looking to live somewhere decent with good people around. All in all, I do plan to visit for a few weeks to feel it out, but I just wanted to get some info on Austin. So is crime getting bad? And would you say the police are doing their job in general? And is the homeless situation that bad? Should I be worried about that? Like I said, I'm looking to move downtown and did hear the homeless situation is bad down there. Thanks in advance for any replies. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 09:30 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Everyone has their own definition of “good” and “bad” regarding homelessness. Pre camping ban there were people sleeping in front of city hall and called it “ground zero.” There are still some tents here and there in the CBD, which I’m assuming you are interested in. There are people along shoal creek. As a single woman in my late 30s I don’t feel unsafe in this city.

I’m sure others will chime in.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Everyone has their own definition of “good” and “bad” regarding homelessness. Pre camping ban there were people sleeping in front of city hall and called it “ground zero.” There are still some tents here and there in the CBD, which I’m assuming you are interested in. There are people along shoal creek. As a single woman in my late 30s I don’t feel unsafe in this city.

I’m sure others will chime in.
Ok...that sounds good. Thanks for the reply and input. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Not sure where you are coming from but Austin is still safer than most big cities.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Not sure where you are coming from but Austin is still safer than most big cities.
I was just trying to how bad the crime and homeless situation was. Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:38 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
If you are coming from certain cities on the west coast you will probably think “what homeless?” If you are coming from a smaller city in the Midwest it might shock you. Personally I have never had a problem with homeless the times I’ve been to Austin. If you are a girl Carry pepper spray, if you are a guy they probably won’t bother you as they will be too cracked out to do much. Just don’t give them money and keep walking is the best advice I can give.

Hope you like Austin, it’s a great city. Lots of my friends from high school live there and they seem to really like it.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:24 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,730 times
There's nothing wrong with the economy here or most elsewhere. Jobs are plentiful and unemployment is not bad (inflation is the problem). But homelessness has not improved in Austin since the proposition made camping illegal. Instead, the homeless have moved to creeks and woodsy areas. You can always tell where they are because of shopping carts and trash at the trail entrances. At least they're not camping by the hundreds under underpasses as much. You do see them at major intersections (panhandling) but it's been that way for decades.

Most people enjoy the good things about the city. The bad stuff is always going to be present, but it's a matter of a person's outlook.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
If you are coming from certain cities on the west coast you will probably think “what homeless?” If you are coming from a smaller city in the Midwest it might shock you. Personally I have never had a problem with homeless the times I’ve been to Austin. If you are a girl Carry pepper spray, if you are a guy they probably won’t bother you as they will be too cracked out to do much. Just don’t give them money and keep walking is the best advice I can give.

Hope you like Austin, it’s a great city. Lots of my friends from high school live there and they seem to really like it.
Sounds good. I hope I like it too. I just need to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
There's nothing wrong with the economy here or most elsewhere. Jobs are plentiful and unemployment is not bad (inflation is the problem). But homelessness has not improved in Austin since the proposition made camping illegal. Instead, the homeless have moved to creeks and woodsy areas. You can always tell where they are because of shopping carts and trash at the trail entrances. At least they're not camping by the hundreds under underpasses as much. You do see them at major intersections (panhandling) but it's been that way for decades.

Most people enjoy the good things about the city. The bad stuff is always going to be present, but it's a matter of a person's outlook.
You are right about that. You got to take the good with the bad. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,441 times
I used to live in Austin for over 25 years before I moved. They always have had the homeless. Always. They don't really bother you but I heard the camping ban is now being enforced. I moved out before the governor or mayor of the city allowed inner city camping and I heard it got really bad to the point you couldn't park under the highway in order to go partying on 6th street. I'm hoping to go visit Austin in a few weeks and I'll see if they've changed or not. I moved out 16 years ago.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I used to live in Austin for over 25 years before I moved. They always have had the homeless. Always. They don't really bother you but I heard the camping ban is now being enforced. I moved out before the governor or mayor of the city allowed inner city camping and I heard it got really bad to the point you couldn't park under the highway in order to go partying on 6th street. I'm hoping to go visit Austin in a few weeks and I'll see if they've changed or not. I moved out 16 years ago.
Something needs to be done. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin