Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 09:14 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,539,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Funny how it's different for all of us.

I still run when it's that hot, so I can "handle it", but I just don't enjoy being outdoors when it's over 95 or 100. 90, though, is perfectly fine.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, so maybe that's why it affects me so. Who knows why we all experience it differently.
When I'm not at the office, I'm outside a great deal as well. During my free time, I'm slogging in the garden, where I am exposed to the heat often for hours. So it does affect me. I don't even need to know the temperature - I start heading in when it gets near 94. The humidity really does it to me.....because you feel it whether there is or isn't shade. And you're right...who knows why we all experience temperatures differently. My mother, who moved down here from NY six years ago, feels uncomfortable at 90.

Quote:
Let's hope that October's reputation as the second wettest month kicks into gear. ACL is around the corner, shouldn't that bring rain?

It IS amazing how that one rainstorm last month turned my brown garden green. But it's getting brown again...
LOL.

And yeah, the effect of the rain on my garden was amazing to behold. Started to show signs of life again. But yeah, now it's returning to brown again. Irrigation can't hold a candle to actual rain. Rain is life and there is a noticeable lack of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 10:24 AM

5,646 posts, read 4,980,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
When I'm not at the office, I'm outside a great deal as well. During my free time, I'm slogging in the garden, where I am exposed to the heat often for hours. So it does affect me. I don't even need to know the temperature - I start heading in when it gets near 94. The humidity really does it to me.....because you feel it whether there is or isn't shade. And you're right...who knows why we all experience temperatures differently. My mother, who moved down here from NY six years ago, feels uncomfortable at 90.

LOL.

And yeah, the effect of the rain on my garden was amazing to behold. Started to show signs of life again. But yeah, now it's returning to brown again. Irrigation can't hold a candle to actual rain. Rain is life and there is a noticeable lack of it.
Kind of amazing that the first known civilizations (Sumeria, Egypt, Indus Valley) were irrigation-dependent, have been located in desert areas.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:48 AM

2,256 posts, read 1,426,982 times
Quote:
Funny how it's different for all of us.

I still run when it's that hot, so I can "handle it", but I just don't enjoy being outdoors when it's over 95 or 100. 90, though, is perfectly fine.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, so maybe that's why it affects me so. Who knows why we all experience it differently.
I spend a ton of time being outdoors year-round, but the activity is adjusted based on the time and season. If it's over 95 I want to be in the water. I can generally cycle year round as well (the breeze you get from moving goes along way). A lot of other activities I'm gonna save for the mornings and evenings.

I would *not* want a job that involved manual labor in the summer heat of this climate, that's for sure. I try my best to do yardwork in the early mornings and late evenings. Otherwise I wear long sleeves to block the sun and just accept that I'll be soaked in sweat.

The difference at 95 vs 102 for me is that in the former I'm perfectly comfortable sitting in the shade, whereas in the latter I'll be needing AC after 10 minutes or so. I also find that when it's a 95 high, the nights are beautiful, whereas when it's 102 it's still quite hot at night.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:51 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,539,837 times
If the humidity is high, shade does nil.

But different strokes and all.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:57 PM

11,876 posts, read 8,112,887 times
I’ve done some jogging here and there when it’s 95+ … not great but … not too terrible either. High humidity gets me faster than high heat does. So I could probably tolerate manual labor in our heat so long as I had a constant supply of cool water… …that same water has a harder time keeping you cool when it’s humid though.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:57 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,120,857 times
I've been enjoying the cooler nights and the dry heat weather we've been getting, during the past few days I've been going out for lots of walks and bike rides, this is the weather I've been waiting for for weeks!

Old 10-01-2022, 09:49 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,746,726 times
Had my best “long run” since maybe April today. I took off a solid minute and a half (maybe two) off my pace. That’s about an average heat acclimation thing, so it’s not surprising. I can’t wait for my nine mile run tomorrow. It’ll be gorgeous again. Now, to kick it in gear for the Houston full marathon in January,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin