Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 06:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,902,700 times

Advertisements

If tech talent fled booming housing markets in a significant way, then the Bay Area would be a lot cheaper. High rents and housing costs does shed some employees to more affordable areas, but the tech business is growing so much and so fast... it makes up the difference and then some. Tech employees don't just have their salary, which can be high -- they may also have significant amounts of equity, stock options and other net worth. When they look at purchasing in Austin, not only can they afford it but it can be viewed as more like just moving equity around. They will likely even make money on the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 06:50 PM

539 posts, read 444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Yeah. Funny how that free market works when workers start realizing their value. If one day you realize your raging hypocrisy it’ll be a really funny day.
Huh??

Old 01-05-2022, 08:33 PM

11,855 posts, read 8,080,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If tech talent fled booming housing markets in a significant way, then the Bay Area would be a lot cheaper. High rents and housing costs does shed some employees to more affordable areas, but the tech business is growing so much and so fast... it makes up the difference and then some. Tech employees don't just have their salary, which can be high -- they may also have significant amounts of equity, stock options and other net worth. When they look at purchasing in Austin, not only can they afford it but it can be viewed as more like just moving equity around. They will likely even make money on the deal.
Tech generally has a high turnover for multitudes of reasons. Sometimes due to long shifts and on-call with relatively lower salaries, sometimes due to employees wanting to move up and have reached their ceiling in the specific role, sometimes the role / salary simply exceeds what’s feasible for a living standard local to the job. Honestly in Atlanta I was making a lot less than I do now and I was also commuting much further… At first I did think I was being unfairly paid … but as I gained more experience and responsibilities I began understanding why some roles pay a lot more than others in the field. I won’t deny there are definitely people getting priced out, or becoming unsustainable as far as CoL for employees but I personally have had to make these adjustments by seeking more affordable living spaces. These tech workers in question are doing similarly and making wise financial choices in doing so … but they are not ceiling’d by any stretch. Self investment is the key to success especially in tech.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:42 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,415,432 times
This is the Yogi Berra classic "Nobody Goes There Anymore, It’s Too Crowded".

The entire reason prices have risen so much here is because of highly paid tech talent. The idea that those prices are driving out tech talent is truly hilarious. Driving out artistic talent, sure. Tech talent? are you serious?

Old 01-06-2022, 07:03 AM

1,085 posts, read 696,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Huh??
Yeah. I didn’t think you’d get it.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:17 AM

539 posts, read 444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Yeah. I didn’t think you’d get it.
You don't get it either apparently. This is a forum were we discuss topics. Vague/off-topic insults have nothing to do with what we're discussing (tech talent leaving Austin).

Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM

9,959 posts, read 6,666,570 times
Here’s what’s really going on lately. Employers are having a hard time hiring talent in Texas (including Austin). Not because it’s not available but because even if someone was given that position, there’s enough jobs to go around togo somewhere else. I think Austin is in the beginning of that curve.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,746,893 times
I wouldn't call that a piece of journalism, but it would make a good email rant from one employee to another. We should instead look to job reports for the tech industry and concentrate on the numbers before going to random speculation.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:20 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times
I work in HR. I do mostly tech hiring for a federal governement contractor. Pretty much all of our positions are 100% remote and always have been.

I talk to friends and fellow HR folks and constantly shake my head at how many companies are so completely out of touch. If your staff proved that they can work from home efficiently, there is, in most cases, absolutely no reason to make them come back into the office. It makes for an unhappy workforce and just costs companies money. The money saved by having less overhead is significant. Less (or no) office space, etc. saves a boatload in rent/lease, utilities, cleaning services, and so on. Heck, even providing coffee costs way more than people realize.

The most common reason for companies to cite for making people come in is company culture. What culture is that? The one where everyone resents the fact that they're there? Why would you want to foster that culture? A happy workforce is a productive workforce and vice versa. This isn't some really insightful information; it has been proven. Also, it costs a lot more money to replace people than to retain ones you already have. So people are just leaving. Yet companies still insist on spending (a lot) more money on a less-efficient workforce rather than just let people work from home. And then they cry that there's a worker shortage. There wouldn't be if your employees were happy and therefore didn't leave. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

After working from home for a few years now, I don't think I would ever consider a job that wasn't remote, even if it paid more - even significantly more. I get almost 10 hours a weeek of my life back not having to commute, I get way more done, since I'm not constantly being interrupted, I take less time off, because I don't need to arrange for a whole day of PTO every time I have to wait on a plumber or whatever, and it's just reduced the amount of stress by 10 fold because I have so much time to get things other than work done. Companies need to embrace the change.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:26 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
It isn't so much company culture, it is mentoring that is really lost in the remote model. I am old and will likely not learn a whole lot (technically) in the office. The new hires - the ones that are actually pretty new to the work force - will most likely suffer long-term if they do not work in the office with older employees. There is definitely a long-term cost associated with the remote only model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin