Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 03:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times

Advertisements

Steve, what do you think about the increasing amount of out of town investors in the market? I’m slightly concerned, because they are counting on those huge appreciation numbers, that’s the only reason they are in. If even a small drop happens, I could see the investor component paring down significantly, which could add to the drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM

11,841 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Steve, what do you think about the increasing amount of out of town investors in the market? I’m slightly concerned, because they are counting on those huge appreciation numbers, that’s the only reason they are in. If even a small drop happens, I could see the investor component paring down significantly, which could add to the drop.
My guess is the investors who already possess property will probably hold off until 'on-season' before making an irrational move. It may slow new investors from snagging up properties though.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:46 PM

539 posts, read 442,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
My guess is the investors who already possess property will probably hold off until 'on-season' before making an irrational move. It may slow new investors from snagging up properties though.
Austin is still a safe bet to hold. It sounds like new investors may turn to SLC or other hot markets next year.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:14 PM

30 posts, read 17,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
I hope not, that would be a 25% decline from 2021. I don't think that's what you meant though.
My thought process was that we're not going to have a steep "fall off the cliff" level of decline. I am happy that the market is "correcting" those who are overreaching with the sales prices of their houses (i.e. the 'greedy sellers' Steve's mentioning).

Old 12-08-2021, 04:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
THL. I would suggest that you sell it to Ashbeigh for what you paid originally (adjusted in 2021 dollars) under the condition that she not tear it down.

You could also agree to rent it to ashbeigh, and only charge enough to cover your yearly taxes, which would be around $1,300/month.

Already rented to people we consider family who we know will take care of it.

Forgive me if I choose not to take advice on anything at all from you.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Already rented to people we consider family who we know will take care of it.

Forgive me if I choose not to take advice on anything at all from you.
Not exactly trying to be that guy. I empathize with the emotional aspect of your cause of Austin’s changing character, but I can’t quite empathize for the principality of someone getting upset over the rising costs on the Austin area while she’s holding onto property and selectively renting it out… no offense but… it doesn’t support your case at all if the rising costs are a big issue for you. If preserving Austin’s character is an issue then that is a better case but keep in mind places like San Francisco and Boston did very similar things by trying to retain the architecture and character of the city which hendered new inventory and we all see how that turned out in terms of home values.

If you want to preserve the old Austin, you can’t complain about how expensive this place is becoming, you’re every bit apart of the problem and in no way different than any investor in terms of the effect on the market.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-08-2021 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Quote:
Not exactly trying to be that guy. I empathize with the emotional aspect of your cause of Austin’s changing character, but I can’t quite empathize for the principality of someone getting upset over the rising costs on the Austin area while she’s holding onto property and selectively renting it out… no offense but… it doesn’t support your case at all if the rising costs are a big issue for you. If preserving Austin’s character is an issue then that is a better case but keep in mind places like San Francisco and Boston did very similar things by trying to retain the architecture and character of the city which hendered new inventory and we all see how that turned out in terms of home values.

If you want to preserve the old Austin, you can’t complain about how expensive this place is becoming, you’re every bit apart of the problem and in no way different than any investor in terms of the effect on the market.

You have no idea what rent we're charging, just for a start.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You have no idea what rent we're charging, just for a start.
It doesn’t matter what rent you’re charging. The issue is you’re holding onto a property which someone else could potentially live in. This boosts the value of available properties within its vicinity higher because your property is not available to purchase and in selective cases even rent. You have a right to do this, I’m not condemning the act, but I am explaining that it creates just as much of an ripple and effect on the local real estate market as any investor would.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,711,985 times
Quote:
It doesn’t matter what rent you’re charging. The issue is you’re holding onto a property which someone else could potentially live in. This boosts the value of available properties within its vicinity higher because your property is not available to purchase and in selective cases even rent. You have a right to do this, I’m not condemning the act, but I am explaining that it creates just as much of an ripple and effect on the local real estate market as any investor would.
Not everyone is in a financial or life position to purchase a home. (Which you seem to regularly forget). You also don’t know where in the area the home is to even guess if it’s an area where the real estate is hot. It’s serving THL just fine. (Also tried to rep you but I couldn’t). She never asked for financial/ real estate advice and was just sharing her experiences in real estate in Austin.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Not everyone is in a financial or life position to purchase a home. (Which you seem to regularly forget). You also don’t know where in the area the home is to even guess if it’s an area where the real estate is hot. It’s serving THL just fine. (Also tried to rep you but I couldn’t). She never asked for financial/ real estate advice and was just sharing her experiences in real estate in Austin.
She plainly said it was in Barton Hills. If it’s anywhere in the Austin metro we can easily assume it’s experienced rapid appreciation.

Also I havent forgotten anything. What the error is, is understanding communication… I’m perfectly aware of the problems you address but I do not argue based on emotions and feelings. Feelings are variable and too subjective to construct logical and firm arguments. They vary too widely, and most importantly, they have no foundation. I argue based on principals. In terms of principals, nothing has been stolen from these people. As I’ve stated before, housing is not an entitlement. We were never gaurunteed housing. We make adjustments necessary to obtain what we want in terms of housing. I’ve had to do this, and I came out of a hole of which I thought was practically inescapable.

If it’s serving THL fine, that’s well within her cause, but her cause does not make her better than the greedy investors she accuses. She produces the exact same effect on the RE market, just in a different method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin