Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times

Advertisements

We just got our home value Appraisal from Travis County, and am shocked at how much the appraised value increased compared to last year. Of course, the assessed value is capped to a 10% increase over last year by our Homestead exemption, but still the increase is a lot.

Is it just us, or did most people get large increases this year? Any options on protesting this increase? Do people protest on their own, or through a separate company such Five Stone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 01:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
We just got our home value Appraisal from Travis County, and am shocked at how much the appraised value increased compared to last year. Of course, the assessed value is capped to a 10% increase over last year by our Homestead exemption, but still the increase is a lot.

Is it just us, or did most people get large increases this year? Any options on protesting this increase? Do people protest on their own, or through a separate company such Five Stone?
It's my 1st year in Austin (or TX even) and we are using Five Stone. Will report back on how it goes.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:23 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I have successfully protested my taxes on my own every year for the past 15 years, with the exception of last year, since Travis County didn't change assessed values from the year before.

No way will I be able to argue that my house is overvalued this year. Ours went up substantially, but it's still far less than market value. Usually I can dig up a few comps to make my case. No way I can do that this year. Every comp would just prove it's actually undervalued.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:43 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Yikes, just looked, and holy cow, that was a massive increase. Did the first several protests myself, but later switched to a company. It's not a massive amount of time to do it yourself, but it's enough that the cost/benefit swung in that direction.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Good luck with your protests. A condo like ours just sold for $150K(~50%) over the appraisal value of our unit.
That's nothing compared to some of the sales prices of SFH in various parts of the metro.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:10 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Ours went up by 30%

Old 04-21-2021, 12:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Not wasting my time. What coukd I bring as documentation? Not much. When our home was appraised it aligned with Wilco’s valuation.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:14 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Not wasting my time. What coukd I bring as documentation? Not much. When our home was appraised it aligned with Wilco’s valuation.
the one thing that I have heard works is pictures of the condition. If the condition code of your house is higher than the current condition then that is a reasonable way to get a reduction.

Actual sold prices of related homes can help, but they need to be similar size. I had a neighbor house that was larger and valued at less. They refused to use it as a comp because it was larger.

I was like how can my smaller house be more than a larger house?

Old 04-21-2021, 07:54 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the one thing that I have heard works is pictures of the condition. If the condition code of your house is higher than the current condition then that is a reasonable way to get a reduction.

Actual sold prices of related homes can help, but they need to be similar size. I had a neighbor house that was larger and valued at less. They refused to use it as a comp because it was larger.

I was like how can my smaller house be more than a larger house?
There is no rhyme or reason to their initial decision during a protest. I went through a process some 12 years ago or so that felt like something out of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' or something. The logical dysfunction was amazing! I think they were basically playing a game of chicken to see if you would force the issue to a hearing and they were trying to find out how little they could give before they you would escalate it.

But that was back in the last big recession when values were actually going down a bit. It is going to be very hard to get comps that help in any way, shape, or form this time around.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Yikes, just looked, and holy cow, that was a massive increase. Did the first several protests myself, but later switched to a company. It's not a massive amount of time to do it yourself, but it's enough that the cost/benefit swung in that direction.
I hired a company one year, and they got it lowered by about $1,000. Every year I did it myself, I got it lowered by $10K+. It was a time investment, but it paid off.

Curious to see how TCAD is handling protests this year. Two years ago, they changed it so that everyone protesting had to go in person to argue their case in front of a panel. I'm sure that has nothing to do with them hoping less people would protest because they didn't want to or couldn't do that in the middle of a work day, but I digress. Wondering if COVID will prevent them from doing that this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin