Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM

539 posts, read 441,103 times

Advertisements

Interesting read:

https://www.kut.org/education/2021-0...uring-pandemic

AISD was singled out.

In spring 2021, 60% of students in third through eighth grades passed their STAAR reading test, and 48% passed their math test.

This is a significant drop from spring 2019, the last time students took the test. Then, 73% of third-through-eighth-graders passed their reading test and 74% passed their math test.

Wow - math scores plummeted in AISD from 74% down to 48%

Before you make excuses about COVID and how everybody did worse, there was an EXPECIALLY pronounced deterioration in Austin ISD.

Compared to the statewide results:

The drops are reflected statewide. Sixty-seven percent of students in third through eighth grade passed the reading test and 61% passed the math test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 02:08 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Everyone declined. It was a 4% drop across the state, per what I read (I’ll have to find that article). AISD gets pulled apart because it is the city of Austin’s district. I’d love to see the numbers for other districts., too. Not to mention kids could opt out of testing without the consequence of not being promoted this year. There are so many variables here. But nothing I say will change your opinion, Cheeva, so I’ll back out of responding to you after this post.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 06-29-2021 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 02:11 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
AISD got computers to kids. They drove busses equipped with wifi out to apartment complexes in parts of town where kids were likely to not have internet connections. AISD made sure there were meals prepared and drove THOSE out to drop off sites within the neighborhoods so kids wouldn't go hungry. AISD did everything they could have done. It's a pandemic.

You're seeing clear results that the majority of kids do not do well with virtual instruction.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Everyone declined. It was a 4% drop across the state, per what I read (I’ll have to find that article). AISD gets pulled apart because it is the city of Austin’s district. I’d love to see the numbers fir other districts., too. Not to mention kids could opt out of testing without the consequence if not being promoted this year. There are so many variables here. But nothing I say will change your opinion, Cheeva, so I’ll back out of responding to you after this post.

Austin ISD had much worse than a 4% drop. This is not about my opinion. This is about AISD and it's STAAR test results plummeting relative to everyone else, and what the recovery plan is for AISD, or if it's too late.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:22 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Austin ISD had much worse than a 4% drop. This is not about my opinion. This is about AISD and it's STAAR test results plummeting relative to everyone else, and what the recovery plan is for AISD, or if it's too late.

I'll need to see "everyone elese's" scores to compare.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:30 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
A huge number of Austin area students did not take the STAAR - namely, the parents that could afford to keep their kids at home for the whole year. Those that could not keep their kids at home sent them to school and they took the STAAR. This is most likely a reflection of the schism between economic groups.

Curious as to the level (HS, MS, ES) differential - more ES went back and very few HS went back, relatively speaking.

My daughters scores were up slightly in Sci and Reading and flat in math, fwiw.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
AISD got computers to kids. They drove busses equipped with wifi out to apartment complexes in parts of town where kids were likely to not have internet connections. AISD made sure there were meals prepared and drove THOSE out to drop off sites within the neighborhoods so kids wouldn't go hungry. AISD did everything they could have done. It's a pandemic.

You're seeing clear results that the majority of kids do not do well with virtual instruction.
what AISD didnt do was start in school instruction in a way that worked. Suburbs did it just fine.

AISD did in school instruction that was still virtual, while other schools had actual classes

Old 06-30-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
what AISD didnt do was start in school instruction in a way that worked. Suburbs did it just fine.

AISD did in school instruction that was still virtual, while other schools had actual classes
That was a huge unforced error on the part of AISD. With the retention problem it already had, it probably accelerated the loss of students by 3-4 years.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
You really got a boner for AISD don't you lol..

test scores plummeted just about everywhere...

Not all kids are cut out for virtual learning, despite a district's efforts. Our charter had an excellent online option. My elementary schooler has done well but my high schooler flunked her second semester, despite being a good student the year before. Not much teachers (or the online program) can do when the kid lost motivation, hated logging in to a computer, and overall dealing mentally with a pandemic. It was very challenging for teachers and students alike. My daughter went to summer school in person and did virtual instruction there (with teacher interaction) and there was immediate improvement.

so no duh test scores sank. finger pointing does nothing. all one can do is try and move upward and onward.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:11 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
First, as a former educator, I can tell you that the STAAR test is absolutely, positively not an accurate measure of academic ability. In fact, it's absolutely abysmal.

Second, every district had a decrease. And as a previous poster mentioned, A LOT of kids didn't even take the test, so the numbers are an even less accurate respresentation. My own kids, who normally score in the 95% or above, didn't take the STAAR this year. You know who did? Kids who were 100% in-person. Most of those kids were in-person for a reason - they have an IEP or 504 and require special services and accommodations. Those kids generally don't score as well. Also economically disadvantaged kids whose pareents can't afford a tutor or nanny, who also don't generally score as well.

They should have absolutely just scrapped the STAAR test this year like they did last year, since the "data" is not accurate at all and basically useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: