Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Austin from Philadelphia. My job will be in Round Rock. I was looking at the Domain but I am reading mixed reviews on threads here about that area. Is there a good walkable area to move to for singles? I lived downtown for 6 months on a project and love it but traffic Im sure will be a nightmare daily to Round Rock. Are there any suburbs that are recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 09:19 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,714,030 times
Price point?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
Philly native here. I really like the Domain. The commute here sucks, no doubt. It doesn't help that public transportation is abysmal.

Austin is NOTHING like Philly. NOTHING. So if you're looking for something similar and walkable, you'r not really going to find it. But the Domain is a good alternative. It's also really pricey, so beware of that.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:23 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,622 times
Domain is like a nicer cleaner version of King of Prussia. Way more walkable and hotter.

(assuming you renting)

Old 05-20-2021, 02:10 AM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Only walkable areas are islands separated by car dependent networks. Domain, Downtown, Mueller. Keep in mind that traveling outside of those areas will require a car. That stated, Downtown or even Domain to Round Rock is a reverse commute. You will be going against (not with) the flow of commuters so it is much more doable.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:06 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,138,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevroletnavy View Post
I am relocating to Austin from Philadelphia. My job will be in Round Rock. I was looking at the Domain but I am reading mixed reviews on threads here about that area. Is there a good walkable area to move to for singles? I lived downtown for 6 months on a project and love it but traffic Im sure will be a nightmare daily to Round Rock. Are there any suburbs that are recommended?
what kind of mixed reviews about the domain? If you want walkable the domain would be pretty fun.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:22 PM

Right now I am paying $2500/month for a 2 bed 2 bath here. Conshohocken, Phoenixville, and Manyunk are what I’m trying to find in Austin area. The domain seems to be perfect but I was not sure if there is a different area just as good and walkable. I lived downtown Philly for one year but the traffic outbound to work in the mornings was too bad.

Phoenixville, Conshy, and Manayunk is walkable and has almost everything you need. I’m not sure of an Austin suburb like those

Old 05-29-2021, 08:18 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevroletnavy View Post
Right now I am paying $2500/month for a 2 bed 2 bath here. Conshohocken, Phoenixville, and Manyunk are what I’m trying to find in Austin area. The domain seems to be perfect but I was not sure if there is a different area just as good and walkable. I lived downtown Philly for one year but the traffic outbound to work in the mornings was too bad.

Phoenixville, Conshy, and Manayunk is walkable and has almost everything you need. I’m not sure of an Austin suburb like those
You're not going to find anything like that here. The Domain is cool, but it's nothing like what you're looking for. The Domain is basically a big outdoor upscale mall with apartments and a Whole Foods. You can walk all around the Domain, but as soon as you want to go somewhere else, you have to drive. The public transportation system here is abysmal.

You're not going to find anything like Manyunk, Conshohocken, or Phoenixville here. I'm from Media, so I get exactly what you're looking for, and you're not going to find it in Austin.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 4,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You're not going to find anything like that here. The Domain is cool, but it's nothing like what you're looking for. The Domain is basically a big outdoor upscale mall with apartments and a Whole Foods. You can walk all around the Domain, but as soon as you want to go somewhere else, you have to drive. The public transportation system here is abysmal.

You're not going to find anything like Manyunk, Conshohocken, or Phoenixville here. I'm from Media, so I get exactly what you're looking for, and you're not going to find it in Austin.
Ditto this. I've been here (Round Rock, 'burbs of Austin, maybe 20 mins from Domain) for 5 years now, coming from East Vincent (right outside of Phoenixville). As mentioned, the Domain is nice, but it is... manufactured... in comparison. If you have an apartment there can you grab lunch, dinner, or a drink and not need to drive? Sure, but it will be at a chain. There's nothing independent like Majolica (although I've heard they have closed ), Bluebird, etc. And definitely no Blobfest!

And downtown Austin definitely is not Philly. We will fairly regular hop in a car to San Antonio (2hrs), Houston (~2.5-3hrs) for a day trip on a whim. Definitely would not have done that in SEPA... because you wouldn't need to for "stuff".

Doesn't mean we don't like it here (we do), but it's most definitely different - the northeast more or less has a couple of hundred years of development vs here.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Thanks for this. I guess the Domain will be the closest thing. I didn't realize Austin did not really have many suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin