Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 10:25 AM

539 posts, read 441,704 times

Advertisements

I bet that some "Karen" lost her s*** and started shooting into the crowd. Probbaly from her balcony while sipping from a glass of boxed chardonnay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 12:15 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
My wife (age 75) loves cheap boxed Chardonnay (Almaden or Franzia), but she hates guns and has never fired one in her life. And we don’t have a balcony.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Just last night

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/cr...a-15242f836cce

So would you advocate for two sets of rules in Austin, one for "urban, gentrifying areas" and another for those that are not? That's the kind of thinking that has led to the homeless camping fiasco.
I said if there's criminality, call the cops out. Criminality happened, cops were called.

That would apply anywhere. The law is the law.

The car shows are a tradition if the area. If you don't like it then move to an area where you won't have to deal with it. Problem solved. I don't care for car shows, or anything bothering my peace and quiet, so I wouldn't buy or rent by a public park or in an urban area. You wouldn't see me moving into a place and then demanding that the people conform to my desires. If the cops find issues, they handle them.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:12 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I said if there's criminality, call the cops out. Criminality happened, cops were called.

That would apply anywhere. The law is the law.

The car shows are a tradition if the area. If you don't like it then move to an area where you won't have to deal with it. Problem solved. I don't care for car shows, or anything bothering my peace and quiet, so I wouldn't buy or rent by a public park or in an urban area. You wouldn't see me moving into a place and then demanding that the people conform to my desires. If the cops find issues, they handle them.
So we pretty much are in agreement which means that most weekends the cops would be called out because burnouts are categorized as reckless driving in Texas. Also the intentionally bad driving - weaving left to right - also happens most weekends and would trigger a call to the authorities. Of course this doesn't even start with the shootings and stabbings, but fortunately that is more infrequent.

See if this was the Cars and Coffee meetup at COTA, which is private property, the issues above would be non-starters since traffic enforcement is principally done on public property. At that point it would be up to the owners/managers at COTA to eject people from the property if they felt the participants were unruly. Law enforcement would only be called if they refused to leave, i.e. trespassing.

Again no one has a problem with people hanging out in a parking lot showing off their cars, its just with all of the "extras" that extend the discussion to the rights of non-participants.

And no I'm not moving anywhere. This neighborhood has come a long way in the 12 years I've been here and is on the right trajectory (to the consternation of some).

Old 04-06-2021, 01:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So we pretty much are in agreement which means that most weekends the cops would be called out because burnouts are categorized as reckless driving in Texas. Also the intentionally bad driving - weaving left to right - also happens most weekends and would trigger a call to the authorities. Of course this doesn't even start with the shootings and stabbings, but fortunately that is more infrequent.

See if this was the Cars and Coffee meetup at COTA, which is private property, the issues above would be non-starters since traffic enforcement is principally done on public property. At that point it would be up to the owners/managers at COTA to eject people from the property if they felt the participants were unruly. Law enforcement would only be called if they refused to leave, i.e. trespassing.

Again no one has a problem with people hanging out in a parking lot showing off their cars, its just with all of the "extras" that extend the discussion to the rights of non-participants.

And no I'm not moving anywhere. This neighborhood has come a long way in the 12 years I've been here and is on the right trajectory (to the consternation of some).
The people referenced in OP's article have issues with more than just the burnouts. They have a problem with the car shows themselves. I assume the large gathering of largely young black and brown males gets some of the folks nervous in their gentrified utopia. If people are doing things that break the law, yes, I do agree that cops get called out. Calling cops out because you are seeing a large group of minorities and because you don't like car shows is a waste of resources.

And I'm not advocating that you move and it's good that things are going in the right direction. The problem is when people want to remove the history and tradition of the area that they settle. The people who used to live in the area had to put up with a lot of crap and inaction by the city before gentification. They had to put up with the horrid Holly plant for years because that was the 'wrong side of the tracks.' It's a pity that it took gentrification to improve things, but that's a debate for another day. I can only speak for myself in that I am not an urban pioneer and never will be. All the money and appreciation in the world wouldn't change that.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:32 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Don’t forget the gasoline tank farm and sewage treatment plant.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:29 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Don’t forget the gasoline tank farm and sewage treatment plant.
The now closed Holly power plant?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 PM

11,831 posts, read 8,027,753 times
That’s pretty awful those people on the east side had to deal with all of that until the place gentrified.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:44 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That’s pretty awful those people on the east side had to deal with all of that until the place gentrified.
Deal with what? Something the community grew and cultivated? The car meet-ups or the violence? Or are you posting sarcastically?

Old 04-06-2021, 08:09 PM

11,831 posts, read 8,027,753 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Deal with what? Something the community grew and cultivated? The car meet-ups or the violence? Or are you posting sarcastically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The people referenced in OP's article have issues with more than just the burnouts. They have a problem with the car shows themselves. I assume the large gathering of largely young black and brown males gets some of the folks nervous in their gentrified utopia. If people are doing things that break the law, yes, I do agree that cops get called out. Calling cops out because you are seeing a large group of minorities and because you don't like car shows is a waste of resources.

And I'm not advocating that you move and it's good that things are going in the right direction. The problem is when people want to remove the history and tradition of the area that they settle. The people who used to live in the area had to put up with a lot of crap and inaction by the city before gentification. They had to put up with the horrid Holly plant for years because that was the 'wrong side of the tracks.' It's a pity that it took gentrification to improve things, but that's a debate for another day. I can only speak for myself in that I am not an urban pioneer and never will be. All the money and appreciation in the world wouldn't change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: