Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:25 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,725,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The way the weather pattern has been in 2021, it's showing similarities to the weather pattern in 2011. In February of 2011, there was 70 consecutive hours of below freezing temperatures and power outtages causing frozen/busted water pipes followed by a summer with record drought, the Bastrop wild fires, extreme heat. Sounds just like winter of 2021. The hottest summer in history was in 2011.

This article from KXAN makes a good case for a long hot and dry summer in 2021..

https://www.kxan.com/weather/warning...sters-of-2011/

( Sent from KXAN News )
This is kind of a mic drop link. It’s science. And we’ve had rough years. I was in SA in 2011 and I don’t recall this winter storm at all, but I remember it being ungodly hot in the summer and the fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe many of the systems that keep our weather in check and balance (such as Jet-streams and trade winds) are slowly, fading away... dying off like a failing wrist watch, which will lead to numerous more unpredictable weather events, and for Texas it will mean weather unpredictability on steroids.

Jet streams aren't systems in the same way that cold fronts, warm fronts or dry lines are. They are hat carry weather from place to place. They don't "die off." They will be stronger, they will move north and south and will dip and retreat north and south. I've been trying to take a step back from commenting on some things, but this is just non-sense. https://scijinks.gov/jet-stream/

Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Jet streams aren't systems in the same way that cold fronts, warm fronts or dry lines are. They are hat carry weather from place to place. They don't "die off." They will be stronger, they will move north and south and will dip and retreat north and south. I've been trying to take a step back from commenting on some things, but this is just non-sense. https://scijinks.gov/jet-stream/
This is true when not accounting for global warming, but Jetstreams can be effected both in strength and location by climate change. By dieing off I meant severely weakened, not entirely dissipated, but to be rendered non-effective.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0219152855.htm

https://www.sciencefocus.com/planet-...he-jet-stream/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_...imatic_changes
Quote:
Climate scientists have hypothesized that the jet stream will gradually weaken as a result of global warming. Trends such as Arctic sea ice decline, reduced snow cover, evapotranspiration patterns, and other weather anomalies have caused the Arctic to heat up faster than other parts of the globe (polar amplification). This in turn reduces the temperature gradient that drives jet stream winds, which may eventually cause the jet stream to become weaker and more variable in its course.[57][58][59][60][61][62][63] As a consequence, extreme winter weather is expected to become more frequent. With a weaker jet stream, the Polar vortex has a higher probability to leak out of the polar area and bring extremely cold weather to the middle latitude regions.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is true when not accounting for global warming, but Jetstreams can be effected both in strength and location by climate change. By dieing off I meant severely weakened, not entirely dissipated, but to be rendered non-effective.

If you say so.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 10,949 times
Locust and then boils....at some point first born and gnashing of teeth.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,573,697 times
I guess we should throw in the apparently never-ending upward spiral of housing costs here in cenTex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin