Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 04:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,127,472 times

Advertisements

So we just closed on our house in Seattle. Whew (six long months). We have been looking for a house here and it is sooo frustrating. Our realtor is doing his best but it is quite frustating. Anyone else frustrated?

Any advice on what people have ended up doing recently. We just are having a hard time finding a couple resale and keep ending up looking at new lots for houses to build on.

Our requirements
1) House on 1/4 acre
2) Pool: we will either build one but would more like to buy one with an existing pool
3) House from 3500 sq ft - 4500; optimal 3500-3900 sq ft
4) Recent build 3 years or less
5) privacy, I really don't want to have loads of people learing at my children in the pool. I understand that we will have at least side neighbors but the house backing usually has a great view.... :-(
6) good schools
7) somewhat close to 183 and Riata ( we currently live in Avery Ranch and I bike commute)

If you know of a good area we should look that would be awesome (we are looking at Ranch at Brushy Creek, Avery Ranch, Walsh Ranch).

I'm just frustrated, but the nice thing is that I have time on my side. I don't have to move right away.

Price 500k or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:16 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,985 times
Congratulations are in order on selling your home! I know how frustrating that can be!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 AM

45 posts, read 173,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
So we just closed on our house in Seattle. Whew (six long months). We have been looking for a house here and it is sooo frustrating. Our realtor is doing his best but it is quite frustating. Anyone else frustrated?

Any advice on what people have ended up doing recently. We just are having a hard time finding a couple resale and keep ending up looking at new lots for houses to build on.

Our requirements
1) House on 1/4 acre
2) Pool: we will either build one but would more like to buy one with an existing pool
5) privacy, I really don't want to have loads of people learing at my children in the pool. I understand that we will have at least side neighbors but the house backing usually has a great view.... :-(
6) good schools
7) somewhat close to 183 and Riata ( we currently live in Avery Ranch and I bike commute)

If you know of a good area we should look that would be awesome (we are looking at Ranch at Brushy Creek, Avery Ranch, Walsh Ranch).

I'm just frustrated, but the nice thing is that I have time on my side. I don't have to move right away.

Price 500k or less.
i saw some gorgeous homes in avery ranch lately that were on gorgeous greenbelt lots in your price range, but older than you want that you should really check out. you might be limiting yourself if you are only looking at homes that are no more than 3 years old and also definitely harder to find homes with a pool if they are that new.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM

We have looked at some houses from 2000. We just can't seem to find anything right yet. If you have addresses of decent possibilities please PM them to me. A greenbelt lot would be a great thing.

In Seattle we have 1.3 acres and our own woods so we are trying to adjust.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM

129 posts, read 227,139 times
Quote:

Our requirements
1) House on 1/4 acre
6) good schools

Price 500k or less.
Ya, I remember Woodinville I worked with some guys from Mackie.
Have you done the Austin MLS hunt online? If you have time on your hands it pays to be resourceful on the Internet. IMHO I wouldn't wait for an agent to know or sense the "vibe" or requirements you're looking for however, some are better than others. I hunted on the MLS like a fiend and scoured Craigslist for areas that suited us and was able to find something and close on it in within a 45 day period from a Private seller but, I did allow for a tad of flexibility in my criteria such as "recent build 3 years or less" or "183/Riata" and drove to the neighborhood to feel it out. It takes energy but, with that $$ range you should eventually find your place.

Last edited by Raziel; 05-01-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,696 times
I'd look in the neighborhoods off of Spicewood Springs Rd. west of 183. There are some nice homes there on nice lots that will fit most of your needs if you are willing to look beyond new builds. You'll definitely find some built in the late 90s there.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
I'd look in the neighborhoods off of Spicewood Springs Rd. west of 183. There are some nice homes there on nice lots that will fit most of your needs if you are willing to look beyond new builds. You'll definitely find some built in the late 90s there.
What school district is this area in?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,068,675 times
Congrats on selling your home! Now you can cut all ties

Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM

99 posts, read 421,953 times
Quote:
What school district is this area in?
Most likely that would be Round Rock ISD, with Canyon Vista as the middle school and Westwood as the high school. Further to the south, close to 360 it enter Austin ISD with Hill as the elementary and Anderson as the High.

Canyon Vista is a development off of 620, it may be too far to the west, but it is newer and has the amenities of a pool on playscapes, not sure if they have tennis or basketball courts. Great Hills is older, I think you have to join the CC for amenities. There are quite a few others tucked in that area, NW for the mls search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin