Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I prefer the kiosk. It's more secure.
It's not more secure than having a mail slot in your door....

Ah, the 'good ol' days'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
OK, let's take it further...why not retrofit older neighborhoods if the kiosks are so safe? Shouldn't be too tough to find a corner that would fit the bill. Does anyone here live in a neighborhood where this was done?

I can see the problem with a dozen or more boxes being hit at one time since they are grouped together. I wonder if the developer or HOA would have any input re:the 'style' of postal delivery in a new development. What about the poor folks who design and fab curbside boxes...oh, well, another lost art. On the other hand, I guess we should be thankful that the current crop of 'copper thieves' don't realize our rather large curbside box is actually made of copper! It could end up just like so many stolen a/c units.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
I like having a mailman. I lost my keys in the driveway and he found them for me. They also know what's going on in the neighborhood. You don't get that with a kiosk.

Austin is the first place I've seen that has the kiosks. My friend lives out in Hays County and has one. I thought it was pretty strange to be out in the country and have something I'd only seen previously at apt complexes.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I was told by a mailman that frequented my bar () that the post office was not installing individual mailboxes anymore for new developments. Now, I don't know if this applied only to Austin, or big cities, or whatever, I didn't ask (or don't remember, anyway). The cost of delivering to a 'kiosk' is enormously cheaper and also has some security advantages. Anyway, it is apparently not a developer choice, it is a USPS requirement.

They USPS is apparently going to deliver to houses in perpetuity, though, if they already have a mail box/mail slot.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
One of the things I really like about my old house is that it has an individual mailbox at the end of the driveway - just like I had growing up.

I can see why they are a good idea, but I don't like the locked kiosk thing at all. Picking up an armful of junk mail is already a hassle. It's even worse when you have to walk half a block to your box and then unwedge your stack of junk mail from its metal confines - then walk back home without littering you neighborhood with coupons.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I must admit, it's pretty nice to have everything delivered right to your door. In NW Hills we had that, mailbox or mail slot right at the door. Now we have the mailbox at the end of the driveway thing, which is still nice.

I guess if people all built houses individually (ie build-on-your-lot), then there would still be individual mailboxes? Although the developers don't choose the new kiosk method, it wouldn't be possible without their building method.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
We have some friends that live off 1826 (Madrone Mtn way, or something like that) and the lots are all around one to 3 acres, and I think the lots were bought from one 'developer', but the houses were built by the individual. That neighborhood also has a postal delivery 'kiosk' out by 1826, so I am not sure how the USPS decides how all that works.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Yeah, it must be up to the regional PO director, or someone like that, as we were in Elliot Ranches, today, and each house has a separate box...similar to what Trainwreck20 found, 1-3 acre sites, every house individually constructed, and very different from each other. It wasn't an old area by any stretch, either. I'd say max, five years old, as there are still plenty of empty lots and places still being built.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
OK, let's take it further...why not retrofit older neighborhoods if the kiosks are so safe? Shouldn't be too tough to find a corner that would fit the bill. Does anyone here live in a neighborhood where this was done?
My neighborhood may fit the bill...it was built in the 80s, we're unincorporated in Hays Co and we have the kiosks. I'm not sure if they were originally there or not. If so, it had to be cutting edge at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin