Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:01 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well you're lucky because that hasn't been the case with me. AT ALL. Or my neighbors.

Like I said, if you have lots of tree coverage, shrubs, and landscaping, there will be mosquitoes. We have a wraparound porch and they hang out right outside the door and in the potted ferns.

You'll definitely get eaten up in my neighborhood. Or am I just unfortunate?

I think not. If mosquitoes weren't such a big deal here, there wouldn't be a gazillion mosquito control companies.

There's plenty of mosquitoes down here, particularly A. Aegypti mosquitoes, and Texas in general has yearly cases of West Nile. Not as much as maybe Florida, but to say that it is so hot there's no mosquitoes is just wishful thinking for many people other than the folks in this topic. I am bitten up like there's no tomorrow, so please don't tell me otherwise.
Not saying you're misfortunate but from what I've seen here, there are mosquitoes but... nowhere near the amount as seen in the more subtropical states in the southeast. Here you kind of have to be in the right areas for them, there - they are everywhere...like annoyingly - everywhere.. and I actually didn't notice how bad of an issue it was until I moved here and noticed a significant decrease of them.

Austin technically is within the subtropical zone but still carries more arid climate conditions compared to everything from Houston eastward....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
The rivalry is completely one-sided these days. People in Dallas have nothing but great things to say about Austin.

I can't really comment on what Dallas was like in 1969 because I was born in '85, but I think the stereotype about Dallasites caring about money isn't completely accurate. Sure there are parts of town where that is true, but we are a huge metroplex with all types of people. It's a shame people can't see past that and just judge the city based on a stereotype.

I was describing the origins of the feud. I lived in DFW for many years (the real feud at that point was Dallas vs. Fort Worth - cosmopolitan vs. cow town, with Dallas being the one slinging mud at the "cowpoke" for not being cosmopolitan enough) before moving to Austin to get away from the money money money attitude.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:21 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was describing the origins of the feud. I lived in DFW for many years (the real feud at that point was Dallas vs. Fort Worth - cosmopolitan vs. cow town, with Dallas being the one slinging mud at the "cowpoke" for not being cosmopolitan enough) before moving to Austin to get away from the money money money attitude.
Interesting. Having lived here since '85, I never realized there was such a thing as city rivalries until I left Dallas. Then I learned that Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston all seem to talk down to Dallas for some reason. Hell, even people in Dallas talk down about Dallas.

What part of Dallas were you living in and what time period was this, out of curiosity. I'm just shocked you've had such a different experience living here.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Having lived here since '85, I never realized there was such a thing as city rivalries until I left Dallas. Then I learned that Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston all seem to talk down to Dallas for some reason. Hell, even people in Dallas talk down about Dallas.

What part of Dallas were you living in and what time period was this, out of curiosity. I'm just shocked you've had such a different experience living here.

Highland Park and Oak Lawn, mostly. With family and friends in Mesquite, Plano, University Park, and various other parts of the metro area. Moved to Arlington briefly but did the drive on the tollway when it was new most every day.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Highland Park and Oak Lawn, mostly. With family and friends in Mesquite, Plano, University Park, and various other parts of the metro area. Moved to Arlington briefly but did the drive on the tollway when it was new most every day.
Ah ok, that explains a lot. I was about to say, the Dallas you're describing definitely doesn't sound like my experiences in Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn, the Cedars, Downtown, East Dallas, or Exposition Park. The majority of places you've listed aren't even in Dallas proper, which is fine I guess, but not really an accurate representation of Dallas, IMO.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Ah ok, that explains a lot. I was about to say, the Dallas you're describing definitely doesn't sound like my experiences in Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn, the Cedars, Downtown, East Dallas, or Exposition Park. The majority of places you've listed aren't even in Dallas proper, which is fine I guess, but not really an accurate representation of Dallas, IMO.

Primarily I lived in Oak Lawn. Hippy town back then.

My sister (12 years older) lived in Dallas (and her husband worked there, though they got a house in Mesquite eventually) from the late 1950's on.

I forgot, we also lived on Live Oak when we moved back to Dallas as a young family for a couple of years. That would have been in about 1972.

And I spent some time in Oak Cliff (Dallas was not quite as split up as it is now) - great old guy named Victor Truegood had a warehouse over there full of wonderful old motorcycles and if you hung out in front of it at night and waited every cool bike in the entire area would show up sooner or later.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Primarily I lived in Oak Lawn. Hippy town back then.

My sister (12 years older) lived in Dallas (and her husband worked there, though they got a house in Mesquite eventually) from the late 1950's on.

I forgot, we also lived on Live Oak when we moved back to Dallas as a young family for a couple of years. That would have been in about 1972.

And I spent some time in Oak Cliff (Dallas was not quite as split up as it is now) - great old guy named Victor Truegood had a warehouse over there full of wonderful old motorcycles and if you hung out in front of it at night and waited every cool bike in the entire area would show up sooner or later.
That's strange. I live in Oak Lawn right now and hang around those parts a lot, and, to me, they don't feel like they have that 'money, money, money' attitude you mentioned. Interesting how you've had a different experience in Dallas than I have.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well you're lucky because that hasn't been the case with me. AT ALL. Or my neighbors.

Like I said, if you have lots of tree coverage, shrubs, and landscaping, there will be mosquitoes. We have a wraparound porch and they hang out right outside the door and in the potted ferns.

You'll definitely get eaten up in my neighborhood. Or am I just unfortunate?

I think not. If mosquitoes weren't such a big deal here, there wouldn't be a gazillion mosquito control companies.

There's plenty of mosquitoes down here, particularly A. Aegypti mosquitoes, and Texas in general has yearly cases of West Nile. Not as much as maybe Florida, but to say that it is so hot there's no mosquitoes is just wishful thinking for many people other than the folks in this topic. I am bitten up like there's no tomorrow, so please don't tell me otherwise.
It ain't bad until you see trucks spraying the neighborhood. It happens weekly in Louisiana... Never seen those trucks in Texas.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:22 PM

483 posts, read 532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It ain't bad until you see trucks spraying the neighborhood. It happens weekly in Louisiana... Never seen those trucks in Texas.

I've seen them in the Clear Lake area of Houston.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I've seen them in the Clear Lake area of Houston.
Yeah, Houston I would understand, most of the metro of Houston is marshy / swampy and a magnet for those kinds of pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin