Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Instead of being mad at the state, be mad at the car manufacturers for not allowing for a front license plate. Most states require it, so car manufacturers should accommodate that. I just bought a $50K car. No problems getting the front plate on.

I was rear ended several years ago by someone who left the scene. Luckily, he left the imprint of his front licence plate on my bumper. I knew the make/model/color, but police were able to track him down by using the license plate number he unknowingly left.

A friend in our neighborhood had their car broken into. Their doorbell camera was able to catch the front license plate of the perpetrators' car. Caught him with that info. It wasn't able to get a clear view of the rear plate when they were driving away because it was too far (other side of street) but caught the front.

I'm sure there are more examples, but frankly I think front plates should be required. And I think there are more pressing problems in this state that our lawmakers should be focusing on.

This right here was what I was thinking. If 19 states don't require it, that means that 32 states DO and car manufacturers should take that into consideration.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
No law is enforced equally and vigorously. People going 5 or sometimes even 10 mph over the speed limit don't always get tickets. Sometimes they don't get pulled over at all. Sometimes they get a warning. Sometimes they get a ticket. Same with expired inspections, using turn signals, etc. etc. Should we just get rid of all of those laws too?

And this. How many people have you seen, just in an ordinary day driving around town, violating traffic laws including the speed limit that don't get a ticket because a police officer doesn't happen to be around or because they are on their way to something more important (house being broken into, domestic situation, something like that) and have to prioritize? How many people get tickets or warnings but because you don't see it happening and you don't know them, you don't know about it?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This right here was what I was thinking. If 19 states don't require it, that means that 32 states DO and car manufacturers should take that into consideration.
I think they DO consider it by making the mounting bracket available; but not drilling into the bumper...leaving that up to the buyer. Why make automakers supply something that ISN'T used in 19 states?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
And this. How many people have you seen, just in an ordinary day driving around town, violating traffic laws including the speed limit that don't get a ticket because a police officer doesn't happen to be around or because they are on their way to something more important (house being broken into, domestic situation, something like that) and have to prioritize? How many people get tickets or warnings but because you don't see it happening and you don't know them, you don't know about it?
Not quite apples to apples. Driving without a front plate is very obvious and occurs 100% of the time the vehicle is on the road. Many traffic enforcement patrols are just that...traffic...not(usually) handling violent crimes, etc.

Again, if it's THAT important, the law should be enforced and violators should be required to show proof that the world is now a better place since they FINALLY installed their front tag.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,700,020 times
Quote:
Math isn't my strong suit, but something is amiss.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not quite apples to apples. Driving without a front plate is very obvious and occurs 100% of the time the vehicle is on the road. Many traffic enforcement patrols are just that...traffic...not(usually) handling violent crimes, etc.

Again, if it's THAT important, the law should be enforced and violators should be required to show proof that the world is now a better place since they FINALLY installed their front tag.
Expired inspection/registration tags occurs 100% of the time too. But people aren't always ticketed for it. Traffic enforcement needs to prioritize too.

I have seen people change lanes without signaling, and even make illegal turns, right in front of police cars and not get pulled over. It's not specific to front plate violations.

And it's not always so obvious if an officer is behind you. If you are driving towards them, they can't readily tell if you have a temporary tag on the back. Mos cops sitting in traffic aren't going to back out, flip a u-turn, and speed down the road to see if you have a temp tag.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:51 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I think they DO consider it by making the mounting bracket available; but not drilling into the bumper...leaving that up to the buyer. Why make automakers supply something that ISN'T used in 19 states?
If you are not able to bring your vehicle to DMV requirements of your state of residency you have several options:
Keep paying traffic tickets
Change cars
Change state

Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
If having a front license plate on the front of the car or truck was really helpful in capturing criminals, then all 50 states would require it. If a front plate was a true deterrent, the State of Texas would probably not allow vehicles from states that don't require a front plate to drive that vehicle inside the State of Texas. They would probably have to stop at the border and buy a tempoary tag of some kind to put on the front of the vehicle.

My guess is 99% of all motorists who received a ticket for no front license plate, were pulled over for a different traffic violation, and the cop happens to "discover" there are no front plates on the vehicle.

It is my understanding that cameras at intersections snap a picture of the back plates only, so if that is true, then front plates are worthless even in that situation.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If having a front license plate on the front of the car or truck was really helpful in capturing criminals, then all 50 states would require it. If a front plate was a true deterrent, the State of Texas would probably not allow vehicles from states that don't require a front plate to drive that vehicle inside the State of Texas. They would probably have to stop at the border and buy a tempoary tag of some kind to put on the front of the vehicle.

My guess is 99% of all motorists who received a ticket for no front license plate, were pulled over for a different traffic violation, and the cop happens to "discover" there are no front plates on the vehicle.

It is my understanding that cameras at intersections snap a picture of the back plates only, so if that is true, then front plates are worthless even in that situation.
I'm from Pennsylvania, where front plates aren't required. It does cause issues. See link below. Pennsylvania has tried to go to a 2 plate requirement, but people complained about the expense (two plates cost more, so registration fees would increase), so they dropped it. But I think eventually most, if not all, states will go to a 2 plate requirement.

https://tti.tamu.edu/news/study-sugg...ment-agencies/

Old 03-09-2019, 10:50 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
I'm from Pennsylvania, where front plates aren't required. It does cause issues. See link below. Pennsylvania has tried to go to a 2 plate requirement, but people complained about the expense (two plates cost more, so registration fees would increase), so they dropped it. But I think eventually most, if not all, states will go to a 2 plate requirement.

https://tti.tamu.edu/news/study-sugg...ment-agencies/
Follow the money. I'm sure somebody/some business has much to gain financially by front license plate versus barcode window sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin