Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,690 times

Advertisements

In desperate need of help .. moved here 6 months ago & are renting in cedar park. We are and have been looking for homes but just not a lot on the market . Our daughters both cheer. We have recently started to look in crystal falls & travisso due to lack of inventory in cedar park. We want feedback on the schools in the crystal falls/travisso area. If you speak with people in cedar park ... all schools are bad but Cedar Park.

We are looking for 4 bedroom (price point 500k-850k)
We would like a pool/or lot large enough for a pool (prefer it already there)
Family oriented neighborhood
Good schools (want to understand the demographic & why a title 1 school? Stats online say 30% free lunch demo). With the new build area is that statistic still hold true?
Also, the schools are not related highly — however online ratings can be outdated & inacurate from the standpoint of growth. If a school is 97% college ready/graduation ready there growth potential margin is much smaller.. hence a lower rating.

We have also looked in twin creeks & inventory is very low & houses are dated for the price point.

Any feedback would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
No direct experience but I have an old friend who lives in Crystal Falls and her two kids went to Leander HS (Leander Lions, right?) and had a great experience, she works for the district and could have put them in a different HS if she wanted.

Do your own research, visit the schools and talk to the principals. Don't let ill-informed chatter make a major decision for you.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:05 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
Leander has 3 high schools..

Glenn being the newest

Rouse over near Ronald Regan

Leander high over on baddad being the western most

I have neighbors that go to both Glenn and rouse.. haven’t heard anything but good things from both. I had a co-worker with a son who went to Leander and always talked highly of the school beside the football team haha. I may be wrong but didn’t the marching band won state?

Anyways, Leander has plenty of beautiful homes on all sides of the town that would fit the bill depending on which high school you’d prefer. From what I was told some of the ratings being down compared to say west Austin schools is due to in part to the higher amount of Spanish speaking students who have a tougher time transitioning. Either way, the schools offer a good education with plenty of opportunity. Can’t go wrong.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpotter7073 View Post
In desperate need of help .. moved here 6 months ago & are renting in cedar park. We are and have been looking for homes but just not a lot on the market . Our daughters both cheer. We have recently started to look in crystal falls & travisso due to lack of inventory in cedar park. We want feedback on the schools in the crystal falls/travisso area. If you speak with people in cedar park ... all schools are bad but Cedar Park.

We are looking for 4 bedroom (price point 500k-850k)
We would like a pool/or lot large enough for a pool (prefer it already there)
Family oriented neighborhood
Good schools (want to understand the demographic & why a title 1 school? Stats online say 30% free lunch demo). With the new build area is that statistic still hold true?
Also, the schools are not related highly — however online ratings can be outdated & inacurate from the standpoint of growth. If a school is 97% college ready/graduation ready there growth potential margin is much smaller.. hence a lower rating.

We have also looked in twin creeks & inventory is very low & houses are dated for the price point.

Any feedback would be great.
in your price range, why not live closer in?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM

171 posts, read 189,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Exactly. You should be able to get bigger / newer houses in Brushy creek/ Pearson place area as well in your price point. Schools are in RRISD. Heard its a bit competitive over there though.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srick123 View Post
Exactly. You should be able to get bigger / newer houses in Brushy creek/ Pearson place area as well in your price point. Schools are in RRISD. Heard its a bit competitive over there though.
I didn't see anything in the post that would suggest they wanted to live "closer in". Closer in to what?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times
Thanks everyone. I am trying to schedule sometime to go to the school and not let chatter be an issue. I felt my instincts were correct & that it was more of a demographic/transition barrier. I work in cedar park so there isn’t a need to be any closer in. My husband does commute but not to downtown, & coming from Atlanta he used to traffic honestly. He works with several people that lives in crystal falls as well, so that isn’t an issue for us.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpotter7073 View Post
Thanks everyone. I am trying to schedule sometime to go to the school and not let chatter be an issue. I felt my instincts were correct & that it was more of a demographic/transition barrier. I work in cedar park so there isn’t a need to be any closer in. My husband does commute but not to downtown, & coming from Atlanta he used to traffic honestly. He works with several people that lives in crystal falls as well, so that isn’t an issue for us.
Welcome from an ex-Atlantan(25+ years). Drove through there on the way back to the NC mountain house last summer. Yep, THAT is some traffic!!!

As you are likely aware, there is a difference among Leander the city, Leander the ETJ and Leander the Independent School District. We need to know which one folks are talking about when they say "Leander" in regards to moving, schools, etc.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srick123 View Post
When people think of "closer in" they don't think of Pearson Place, which mind as well be in Cedar Park.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Why is that some think that if you have a bigger housing budget by default you'd want to live "closer in" - Austin??

Not everyone needs to commute to downtown (for example, many of the people in my subdivision work from home, commute to Dell, or work in North Austin). Not everyone wants or needs to live in the city. And I know it's amazing, but there are expensive homes and neighborhoods in the suburbs and there are many people with sizable housing budgets that choose to live in the suburbs. The suburban cities aren't solely comprised of Austin's economic refugees.

OP, maybe you should wait a bit since it is the wintertime and pickings are naturally slim. Not discounting your post, but I find it hard to believe that you can't find anything in your price range and requirements in Cedar Park. Unless there's a school dedicated to the students of a monied subdivision, there's gonna be economic diversity in the school. Leander has various demographics, and the areas outside of Travisso/Crystal Falls probably reflect that. I'm sure the influx of Travisso/Crystal Falls people isn't a bad thing. My realtor's kids attended Rouse and all went on to fine colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin