Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,752 times

Advertisements

Howdy! I'm planning to relocate from Baltimore, MD to Austin. No vehicle, some cash. I'm a hard-working professional. Where to? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 01:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,161,740 times
And you plan to remain car free? Can you drive, are you licensed? All of Texas is very hard to live car-free, Austin is no exception. Do you have a job lined up? Job location will determine all, finding a job and place to live all served by public transport . . . regardless of budget will be hard lift.

https://www.capmetro.org/

Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM

18 posts, read 18,223 times
I live in Texas, have been to Austin dozens of times and can't imagine living there without a car. Austin is not some small town, lazy and quiet. It's crowded, hot, a bazillion younger people per square mile eating, laughing and blasting music everywhere. Parking lots are jammed with cars. If you want to walk try a mall. At least you wont get run over.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,752 times
Thanks folks.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:55 AM

12,993 posts, read 13,459,147 times
I don't know why every person who posts these "Coming to Austin" threads don't seem to see the "Welcome to Austin" sticky thread at the top. It's packed with good information for newbs.

Plus they never post much of anything about their own details to clarify their possibilities.

But good luck to you Woodlawn.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 AM

895 posts, read 1,245,367 times
Some cash.. no car.. okay that seems like an incredibly bad idea. Austin has almost no viable public transportation. Do you have a job? You haven’t researched enough to have a general idea of where you would want to be? Working professional .. okay so what field?

Austin isn’t very cheap. If your looking for an apartment/rental it’s very competitive just like the housing market and it’s not cheap.. not probably compared to Baltimore.

Why austin? I mean When we made the move we had jobs, a place to live lined up, cars, and such. I just couldn’t imagine moving here with nothing but some cash. Seems dangerous and how people end up living under bridges after a few months.

Anyways good luck- do more research I’d say.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,082,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122woodlawn View Post
Howdy! I'm planning to relocate from Baltimore, MD to Austin. No vehicle, some cash. I'm a hard-working professional. Where to? Thanks.
I'd recommend getting a job first, then working from there to find an apartment. As others have mentioned, ATX ain't fun to get around without a car (believe me, that was literally me when I first moved to Austin). If you stay in central Austin, you can zip around via the bus lines, but its not preferable.

You say that you are a hard-working professional, that is good, but what field are you in?

Personally, I'd say get a job lined up so that when you move to Austin you can show apartments that you are making 3-4x the amount of rent (or look for places that need a roommate).

Also, what are you looking to get out of Austin? Are you just moving since the city is "fun"? There's plenty to do, but depending on your line of work, there are going to be a lot of people who are also moving to ATX that will be looking to do what you do. Anyhow, not to be a shatterer of dreams, if you do move to Austin, hope you like it!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM

254 posts, read 283,112 times
Another vote for you need to know where you are going to be working first if you want to be car free. Having a real high tolerance for heat and being willing to walk or bike ride a couple of miles will open up options a little more, but I don't think this is a really safe town to bike ride in.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM

436 posts, read 573,992 times
Without a car you will be looked over for most office jobs, they want someone who they know can show up reliably when the weather reminds us that this is Texas, not the north. Without knowing what line of work your resume outlines though this is a moot point. The good news is we have several large homeless camps that always seem to have more room, so you will have that going for you.

Get a bike, that would help a bit. A scooter or small motorcycle would help a lot more. You can get all over town on 250cc. Our rainstorms however will humble you.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,429,402 times
The only places in Austin you can live without a car are places like downtown or the Domain. And that is only if you live in those areas that you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: