Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 PM

39 posts, read 47,713 times

Advertisements

Hello ya'll,

I am a female in my 30's, and I am considering relocation to Austin for a possible job opportunity.

A couple things that I was told about Austin:
1. It's expensive.
2. It can have a college town vibe.

So... I wanted to know what "expensive" really means. What is the price range of an average one bedroom apartment for example?
and also, would it be a good city to move to in my current status? (I'm single and hoping to meet people my age / date).
I've been to TX a few times but never to Austin. What is this city alike? I read somewhere here that it's like SF, which to be honest, surprised me...
I'd love to hear your educated answers / opinions, and anything else that you'd like to share with me.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Where are you coming from? Some of this is relative. If your coming from somewhere like NYC, then it won't seem expensive. If you're coming from Iowa, it will.

Prices vary drastically depending on where you live, so if you know what part of town you'l be working in and what things you are looking for nearby, people can make suggestions. The average rent in Austin for a one BR is about $1,000 a month. The average rent downtown for a one bedroom is about $2,500. So where you want to be will make a big difference.

Check out this site. It's not perfect, but it will give you some idea:
https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren.../us/tx/austin/

Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise2015 View Post
Hello ya'll,

I am a female in my 30's, and I am considering relocation to Austin for a possible job opportunity.

1. It's expensive.

So... I wanted to know what "expensive" really means. What is the price range of an average one bedroom apartment for example?
and also, would it be a good city to move to in my current status? (I'm single and hoping to meet people my age / date).
I've been to TX a few times but never to Austin. What is this city alike? I read somewhere here that it's like SF, which to be honest, surprised me...
I'd love to hear your educated answers / opinions, and anything else that you'd like to share with me.

Thank you!
Use the real world and not the internet. As Yogi Berra once said, believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 47,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Use the real world and not the internet. As Yogi Berra once said, believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read.
It is actually what I've heard from real people in real world (minus the SF thing, I just read this here...)
People that either live there or used to and moved away.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Hello ya'll,

1. It's expensive.

Thank you!
I've lived in Austin since 1977, and visited SF 3 times. I do not think that Austin and SF have all that much in common, except on a superficial level. Austin is a moderately liberal community in a very conservative state, so its only slightly liberal in comparison to San Francisco which is an extremely liberal community in a very liberal state.

The population of the Univ. of Tx. Campus is around 51,000, in a city of almost 1,000,000... more when you include the suburbs. My point is that U. of Tx is a small part of the city. They days when it had a huge impact on the feeling of the community are long gone.

The one part of town that still has the feel of the college party crowd is the atmosphere in 6th street.

Expensive is also relative, Washington D.C. is far more expensive than Austin.

You can look up specific data for comparisons between communities here in the City-Data statistics pages: https://www.city-data.com

For example:

Austin: https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $308,500
Median gross rent in 2016: $1,194.

Washington, D.C.: https://www.city-data.com/city/Washin...-Columbia.html
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $576,100
Median gross rent in 2016: $1,376. They do not say how big a "Median gross rent" unit is, but I suspect its considerably smaller in DC.

You really should read this, you will learn a lot about Austin. https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...fo-thread.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-13-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:

Thank you!
What is expensive? Depends on what your income is. For me, making $42kish a year anything over $950 is expensive. For someone in tech making $100k a year expensive is probably closer to $1700.

Dating is not a problem in Austin. Finding a LTR is.

Come and visit in the summer. Then come back and ask your questions.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

Come and visit in the summer. Then come back and ask your questions.
And Summer starts this Friday, it seems.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 AM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
As Yogi Berra once said, believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read.

It is reported that quote is from Poe.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
It is reported that quote is from Poe.
Hey, but that doesn't mean he didn't once say it .

Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 AM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hey, but that doesn't mean he didn't once say it .
I think Yogi gets credit for a lot of stuff he never said.

But one thing's for sure, you never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin