Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Lakeline area is but one example that fits the bill for them.

How do you figure the entire Austin area is the "opposite"?
How so?

They’re going to do all their shopping at Target? Or try to cross that Lakeline/183 intersection on a bike or on foot to get to HEB?

Then... let’s find a 2BR rental for $1600. Ok. The M at Lakeline is exactly on budget.

Totally doable. You’ll be trapped in the boundaries of a strip mall, traversing a mile of a walk to the seldom-running train with no sidewalks.

Yep. Op. 1000 sq ft 2/1 at M at Lakeline. There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:04 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
As a native East Coaster (Philadelphia), I have to agree with the others. Austin (all Texas cities, really) is NOTHING like the cities you are used to. It's a very sprawling city with absurdly limited public transportation. Most of it is not walkable. Come down a visit (without a car) for a week and see how it goes. But I have a feeling it's not what you're looking for.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Lakeline area is but one example that fits the bill for them.

How do you figure the entire Austin area is the "opposite"?
It's in comparison to where they're coming from. There is no way any place in Austin that will provide a car free family any kind of comparable lifestyle. Even if they settled within walking/biking distance of Lakeline, then there's that pesky issue of the sorry excuse for a train and its schedule here. Or crossing 183 on bike or foot with your children. Or biking with kids when it's 103 degrees.

Or they could move to Mueller, and not have a train at all, but be close to chain store shopping and sending their kids to some of the worst schools in the city.

We need to stop blowing sunshine up people's skirts about the realities of living in Austin without a car -- especially with kids. The only place where it's fairly easy is downtown, but there are other kinds of negatives in play there, not to mention a $1600 rent budget.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
How so?

They’re going to do all their shopping at Target? Or try to cross that Lakeline/183 intersection on a bike or on foot to get to HEB?

Then... let’s find a 2BR rental for $1600. Ok. The M at Lakeline is exactly on budget.

Totally doable. You’ll be trapped in the boundaries of a strip mall, traversing a mile of a walk to the seldom-running train with no sidewalks.

Yep. Op. 1000 sq ft 2/1 at M at Lakeline. There you go.
The first two 2/1 or 2/2 apartments I found started at $1300...both complexes are newer...one directly across from the Lakeline Station. The third had three different floor plans of 2/2s $100-200 under budget...again a sidewalk trip to the train station, across the street from Target and Sam's for groceries...with a huge H Mart opening next year within walking distance.

There's no need to say it can't be done. Nobody said it would be a cake walk; but there's no reason to give out false information either.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
The first two 2/1 or 2/2 apartments I found started at $1300...both complexes are newer...one directly across from the Lakeline Station. The third had three different floor plans of 2/2s $100-200 under budget...again a sidewalk trip to the train station, across the street from Target and Sam's for groceries...with a huge H Mart opening next year within walking distance.

There's no need to say it can't be done. Nobody said it would be a cake walk; but there's no reason to give out false information either.
Where was the false information? The same Target I cited - their entire world trapped to the exact same strip mall I cited, with nothing else within a mile of there?

We still haven’t solved the how to get to work issue...

Can it be done? Sure, but it won’t be what they’re looking for and it’ll suck mightily.

Which leads the question... why?

Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesy5 View Post
Hello All,

I am looking to relocate from Baltimore to Austin, TX . Myself and my son's dad ( 30 something's) and our 7 year old little boy.

Major criteria is neither of us drive . We would need to be near train station and bike friendly areas with decent elementary schools and safe environment. Also near bike - able or (even better) walkable shopping area for groceries and other needs.
We can afford up to $1600/ month for a 2 bedroom .
Any suggestions on neighborhoods or apartments complexes where we can start our search would be greatly appreciated !
We have pockets of that, but they are quite expensive. I think you would be disappointed.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:

Typically when people talk about walkable areas, they arent talking about a mall, let alone a strip mall.

The giant parking lot and huge storefronts are barriers to walkability.

On the east cost there are many hubs in a city that are within mass transit to each other so you get many choices of parks, theaters, kids activities (soccer, baseball, martial arts, swimming etc), and restaurants.

Downtown probably is close, but is out of their price range.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:01 AM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
I'd shoot for 78704. You've got functional daily shopping places, Rapid bus routes on Congress and Lamar and can walk or bike to downtown (although, I'd be afraid to bike on most roads). Not sure about budget. It probably will be tight, but I guess there's probably always a deal somewhere.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
If you lived in one of the newer complexes in Mueller, like AMLI Aldrich or Aldrich 51, you could walk to a lot of stuff -- HEB, Best Buy, Home Depot, food, coffee. Getting to work would be tough. 2 bedrooms also start at about $1850 at AMLI. Not sure what Aldrich 51 wants for one though there are affordable programs if your income is under certain limits.

I don't really recommend it though. I grew up outside of Philly. We're moving a parent into Aldrich 51 but the only place he has to go is HEB. I'm glad it's there but it's nothing like Philadelphia.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
If you lived in one of the newer complexes in Mueller, like AMLI Aldrich or Aldrich 51, you could walk to a lot of stuff -- HEB, Best Buy, Home Depot, food, coffee. Getting to work would be tough. 2 bedrooms also start at about $1850 at AMLI. Not sure what Aldrich 51 wants for one though there are affordable programs if your income is under certain limits.

I don't really recommend it though. I grew up outside of Philly. We're moving a parent into Aldrich 51 but the only place he has to go is HEB. I'm glad it's there but it's nothing like Philadelphia.

Everyone in Mueller is pretty comparable. I checked out Aldrich 51 a while back and their studios were $1450. Like I said, they could get right outside of Mueller for their budget and bike easily. I see people do it all the time. My complex has a 21/1 for $1200 and I'm a 2 mile bike ride to the hangar and Mueller so closer to HEB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: