Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 555,113 times

Advertisements

Having visited both cities and have friends who live in both places, I just want to share my opinions on the differences. Austin gets the reputation of being the party city, where as Houston is known as the working city. This doesn't mean that there is nothing fun to do in Houston or there aren't any lucrative career opportunities in Austin, as it seems that people are primarily driven to move to Austin for its festive lifestyle, where people are more inclined to move to Houston for career opportunities.

For example, unless you are visiting family or going to a sporting event, nobody picks Houston off the map as a vacation destination like Austin. With that being said, I believe that on this forum, there is lot of resentment for the dreamers who haphazardly flock to Austin from other parts of the country, and scrounge to get by from Uber or waiting tables, just so they can have the opportunity of live in Austin. Am I correct?

For my wife and I, I am in education and she is in international business. We were thinking that if it is unrealistic to move to Austin, then maybe Houston as a fall back option. To me, where Houston is nowhere near as exciting as Austin. But, Houston may be the ideal place for someone to live if they just want a nice steady job and a nice suburban home to come back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
Move to Houston, visit Austin often.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I have in-laws family living in Houston and seem to like it fine. They do however live in areas that were not badly flooded in Hurricane Harvey.

Many people in Houston were not so fortunate. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ne-harvey.html

The terrain in Houston is largely low and flat, so many areas are prone to flooding. Also that area of Texas has some of the highest records of rainfall intensities in the entire USA. See the link to the graphic below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-intensity.png

Below is a map of rescue requests made during hurricane Harvey. https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphic...ue-map-720.png

I spent a couple of months in Houston earlier this year and I can assure you that their traffic is far worse than Austin's.

Houston is #30 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average humidity (population 50,000+)"

Austin is not on that list and is not quite as bad.

Houston .................................................. ...................................Austin

None of this means that you can't live a decent life in Houston. But you had better pick where you live very carefully. Houston is still struggling to recover from the flooding, many people lost their homes and no doubt that has impacted both the availability and cost of housing there.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
Having visited both cities and have friends who live in both places, I just want to share my opinions on the differences. Austin gets the reputation of being the party city, where as Houston is known as the working city. This doesn't mean that there is nothing fun to do in Houston or there aren't any lucrative career opportunities in Austin, as it seems that people are primarily driven to move to Austin for its festive lifestyle, where people are more inclined to move to Houston for career opportunities.

For example, unless you are visiting family or going to a sporting event, nobody picks Houston off the map as a vacation destination like Austin. With that being said, I believe that on this forum, there is lot of resentment for the dreamers who haphazardly flock to Austin from other parts of the country, and scrounge to get by from Uber or waiting tables, just so they can have the opportunity of live in Austin. Am I correct?

For my wife and I, I am in education and she is in international business. We were thinking that if it is unrealistic to move to Austin, then maybe Houston as a fall back option. To me, where Houston is nowhere near as exciting as Austin. But, Houston may be the ideal place for someone to live if they just want a nice steady job and a nice suburban home to come back to.
Maybe you can also consider San Antonio, it has more or less the same working city vibe as Houston and you'll be closer to Austin and further away from hurricanes.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:37 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Houston is a pretty nice city, really. It has a 'hangover' reputation from the years of bad pollution, but much of that has been improved and it is localized anyway.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Maybe you can also consider San Antonio, it has more or less the same working city vibe as Houston and you'll be closer to Austin and further away from hurricanes.
Cheaper, with more history and better tacos.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
tropical storms & flooding aren't going to get any better over the years

Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I like Houston, but most people think of Austin and DFW first in Texas probably due to their presence in tv / media.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I live in Austin and like it just fine but Houston is fantastic! The food scene is off the charts, the museums and opera are top-notch, plus pro sports. It is a city of neighborhoods and there are some great ones. We love to visit Houston!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times
When we first contemplated moving to Texas, Houston was where we were originally looking, then a friend who used to live in Austin told us how outdoorsy Austin is (we love hiking/biking and the parks) and upon further research learned it was also very homeschool friendly.

Not that we don’t like Austin, but now that we have lived here for over ten years and have visited Houston many times, I feel like we would have been just as happy there as we are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin