Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,449,644 times

Advertisements

As long as I've lived here, I've never been to this. But I'd like to take the kids this year. Is it ridiculously crowded? What about parking? Parking there is a mess on normal days. Are some days less crowded than others? How early do we need to get there? Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 PM

997 posts, read 1,314,418 times
I found parking across the street last week no problem. We got on the dinner waitlist at HulaHut and then went to Mozarts for coffee. Pager went off 40m later and back to HH.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM

535 posts, read 1,298,014 times
We just went Wednesday night. We got there right around 6pm and we found parking right in the lot, but not very easily. I understand there is parking right across the street from it if you can’t park in the lot.

Folks were starting to pack in as we were leaving around 7pm. I’m pretty sure the weekends are ridiculously crowded, so I would suggest a weekday if possible.

My advice would be to get there around 6pm on a weeknight to avoid a larger crowd. The place is pretty small though, so it’s kinda hard to avoid ‘crowds’.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 AM

85 posts, read 92,475 times
We drove by last weekend and it was HORRENDOUSLY packed. Go during the week.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,120,996 times
They do the light show every hour on the hour, until 11 pm and the crowd gets lighter later in the month.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,587,643 times
The light show itself isn't all that special in my opinion, but the fact that it's at Mozart's makes it pretty cool. Having a hot coffee on a cool night on the deck with the light show gets you into the Christmas spirit. It'll be crowded, but I've never had trouble finding parking across the street. Mozart's crowds tend to level off once it reaches a certain threshold since people are driven away by the crowds. If you go late on a weeknight, it should be pretty pleasant.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,157,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
They do the light show every hour on the hour, until 11 pm and the crowd gets lighter later in the month.
They changed the format up a little from previous years:

What’s New This Year?

Unlike in the past, you don’t need to be there on the hour for the light show. This year, there’s an on-going experience all evening long from 6-11 p.m., but not a scheduled show. Visitors can expect to be surrounded by more than one million LED lights, some of which have been sculpted into giant iconic objects, custom-made in Greece, such as a dozen guitars, a Disney-like carriage, a giant coffee mug and a tree filled with presents. Plus, there’s a new audio-activated wall of lights that the kids can enjoy.

In addition, more than 20 choirs from local schools and community groups are scheduled to perform Christmas songs that range from traditional to “rock-the-deck” tunes.

We went for the first time last year (during the week) and my wife had a broken foot so we just pulled up and parked right out front in a handicap spot. Somehow I don't think it'll be so easy this year.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,573,697 times
Not that I will go to any of them; but here's a list of other "displays":

10 best places in Austin to watch enchanting holiday light displays - CultureMap Austin

Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,120,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
They changed the format up a little from previous years:

What’s New This Year?

Unlike in the past, you don’t need to be there on the hour for the light show. This year, there’s an on-going experience all evening long from 6-11 p.m., but not a scheduled show. Visitors can expect to be surrounded by more than one million LED lights, some of which have been sculpted into giant iconic objects, custom-made in Greece, such as a dozen guitars, a Disney-like carriage, a giant coffee mug and a tree filled with presents. Plus, there’s a new audio-activated wall of lights that the kids can enjoy.

In addition, more than 20 choirs from local schools and community groups are scheduled to perform Christmas songs that range from traditional to “rock-the-deck” tunes.

We went for the first time last year (during the week) and my wife had a broken foot so we just pulled up and parked right out front in a handicap spot. Somehow I don't think it'll be so easy this year.

wow, good for them I guess but I have to say that a continuous show sounds less appealing and more frantic to me.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,449,644 times
Thanks for the info. I think we may try sometime next week. I asked about parking because even on typical weekends, parking's an issue - even across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: