Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,820,052 times

Advertisements

....and will be almost double the original budget.

This is another reason we vote down rail projects. The last one was proposed at $1.3 billion and we all know it would end up double that amount.

Capital Metro: Costs rising for new downtown MetroRail station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,625,467 times
They're just following the MoPac plan

Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,993,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
....and will be almost double the original budget.
Nope, not in the slightest.

Ben Wear is an idiot who never knows what he's talking about.

The estimated original cost, in 2014:

https://www.capmetro.org/About-Capit...es/4294968766/

"The new station configuration is estimated to cost between $30 million and $35 million"

The estimated cost now $39M, including $3 added for the water pipe (paid for by the city).

Old 11-03-2017, 07:28 AM

15,308 posts, read 35,791,034 times
Curious about the disconnect, I looked into it a bit (mind you, just briefly)...

It appears that TxDOT approved a $22 million grant for the station that was proposed to cost $30-$35 million. The difference was to come from 'local partners', although it doesn't say who that is...CapMetro, I guess?

Anyway, it appears to be completely untrue that the cost was ever proposed to be $22 million - that was just he amount of 'free' money allocated to the project.

Which, btw, is a huge misrepresentation by the author.

http://buildingatx.com/2015/02/the-m...orail-station/

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-03-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,993,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Curious about the disconnect, I looked into it a bit (mind you, just briefly)...

It appears that TxDOT approved a $22 million grant for the station, that was proposed to cost $30-$35 million. The difference was to come from 'local partners', although it doesn't say who that is...CapMetro, I guess?

Anyway, it appears to be completely untrue that the cost was every proposed to be $22 million - that was just he amount of 'free' money allocated to the project.

Which, btw, is a huge misrepresentation by the author.

Building ATX » The Making of A New Downtown MetroRail Station
To give Wear a (small) benefit of the doubt, no doubt it was in Capmetro's best interest to emphasize the grant number (look at this great thing we did, we got transit money out of historically anti-transit TxDot). But they weren't completely silent on the larger number.

And potentially they explored some interim ideas of scaling down the proposal to something closer to "free" (perhaps once it looked like no local partners would come on board, I'm guessing they had hopes of CoA to pitch in some).

Old 11-03-2017, 09:05 AM

15,308 posts, read 35,791,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
To give Wear a (small) benefit of the doubt, no doubt it was in Capmetro's best interest to emphasize the grant number (look at this great thing we did, we got transit money out of historically anti-transit TxDot). But they weren't completely silent on the larger number.

And potentially they explored some interim ideas of scaling down the proposal to something closer to "free" (perhaps once it looked like no local partners would come on board, I'm guessing they had hopes of CoA to pitch in some).
All quite possibly true, but won't that make for interesting content in the article? Was this ever 'advertised' as 'free' by CapMetro? I would be curious to know. The relatively modest differential (<10 million) between proposal and reality (even with some expansion of scope) was never really up for a vote or anything, was it? I don't recall, maybe it was. And despite the rather sensational headline, there is some relatively good information about the changes in scope since inception.

And in the larger picture, new sources (at least at the article level) almost always seem to pick a side and only support arguments for/against something. There is almost never a 'balanced' article that lays out the pros and cons. If the reporter at least did that, I would not feel so insulted if they then 'took a side' at the end of the article, rather than the beginning (i.e. the headline, even).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: