Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
texas is probably the wrong place. The state level will continue to attack transgender rights. Any place affordable will probably not be that accepting.
Hmmm. I have friends/clients who moved here from the Northwest, who were two women married to each other at the time and then one of then made the move to transgender after they moved here. They don't seem to have a problem, and they live in Elgin (though a lot of their socializing/private school for their kid is in Austin). In fact, they talk about how they had certain stereotypes and were a bit worried about making the move to Austin because of those and got here and it took about a day for them to figure out that those were stereotypes and not the reality they would experience here.

Neither is a teacher in a public school, however, though one teaches voice privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
I know there are a ton of threads out there about which city to move to in the triangle

Been here nine years and never heard of a "triangle" in Texas. I almost moved to the Research Triangle area of North Carolina back in the '80s; but didn't know we had one here in Texas.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM

743 posts, read 1,375,465 times
Austin isn't low cost, but St. Stephen's Episcopal is a very open-minded school. Being transgender would be a non-issue, or even celebrated. Several teachers live on campus because of the school's boarding population, so that would help with cost of living. But I think may be a waitlist among staff for campus housing.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,188,392 times
Default Don't pretend everything is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hmmm. I have friends/clients who moved here from the Northwest, who were two women married to each other at the time and then one of then made the move to transgender after they moved here. They don't seem to have a problem, and they live in Elgin (though a lot of their socializing/private school for their kid is in Austin). In fact, they talk about how they had certain stereotypes and were a bit worried about making the move to Austin because of those and got here and it took about a day for them to figure out that those were stereotypes and not the reality they would experience here.

Neither is a teacher in a public school, however, though one teaches voice privately.
Sometimes you have to face the reality that Texas is just plain wrong on many issues, and our fearless leaders have made a lot of hay for themselves getting ignorant and fearful Texans to waste their time and votes on stuff that just doesn't matter. Like the anti-transgender bathroom bill that occupied so much of the legislature's time that they didn't get important work done such as public school funding.

Here's just one background article on the topic. There are many others:https://www.austinchronicle.com/news...state-attacks/

PS, When I travel out of state and out of the country, I get tired of having to explain to others "it's not really as bad as it looks," etc. We Texans have to look at ourselves in the mirror and admit we're a bunch of dumb bunnies on the wrong side of many important social issues, I'm sorry to say.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I know there are a ton of threads out there about which city to move to in the triangle

Been here nine years and never heard of a "triangle" in Texas. I almost moved to the Research Triangle area of North Carolina back in the '80s; but didn't know we had one here in Texas.
This, too. I thought originally that the OP had put it in the wrong forum and intended it for the North Carolina forum.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,419,031 times
Quote:
I know there are a ton of threads out there about which city to move to in the triangle:
You have never heard of the Texas Triangle? The area that encompasses DFW, Austin, SA, Houston, back up to DFW which roughly makes a triangle and encompasses nearly 20,000,000 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalext View Post
Gabetx, thank you. I don't mind living in a conservative area, and I have nothing against conservatives. Some are pretty socially liberal. It depends on the person. It's work that I'm worried about. I just don't want to live in fear of losing my job if someone happens to find out for some reason. Could you give me an estimate of how long a commute that might be (from the areas you mentioned)? I'd appreciate it.
What would be nice about living and working in these areas is that you will be less effected by rush hour commute and wont have to venture much into Austin itself, aside from the east side maybe. From any one of these suburbs to another you are looking at a commute as short as 5 minutes, assuming you live and work in the same suburb, or one up to 35 minutes, assuming you live in the furthest suburb to the furthest school district, (Del Valle to Pflugerville, vice versa).

Other affordable areas I would recommend checking out that are in suburban Austin are Kyle, which has a large ISD in Kyle/ Buda, (Hays ISD), Jarrell, (getting extremely far north), and Lockhart.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
You have never heard of the Texas Triangle? The area that encompasses DFW, Austin, SA, Houston, back up to DFW which roughly makes a triangle and encompasses nearly 20,000,000 people.

What would be nice about living and working in these areas is that you will be less effected by rush hour commute and wont have to venture much into Austin itself, aside from the east side maybe. From any one of these suburbs to another you are looking at a commute as short as 5 minutes, assuming you live and work in the same suburb, or one up to 35 minutes, assuming you live in the furthest suburb to the furthest school district, (Del Valle to Pflugerville, vice versa).

Other affordable areas I would recommend checking out that are in suburban Austin are Kyle, which has a large ISD in Kyle/ Buda, (Hays ISD), Jarrell, (getting extremely far north), and Lockhart.
Nope, not in my 67 years of living in Texas (East Texas, DFW area, and Central Texas, with friends and family in San Antonio and Houston).

Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

OH...you mean the Texaplex???????????

Good golly, statisticians have WAY too much time on their hands. Lumping 20 million people from such diverse cities into a blob the size of Georgia and giving it a name?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 AM

254 posts, read 281,961 times
I've heard of the Dallas-San Antonio-Houston triangle in the story of how Southwest airline was created. Never heard of it used outside of drawing it on a cocktail napkin.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,188,392 times
Quote:
OH...you mean the Texaplex???????????

Good golly, statisticians have WAY too much time on their hands. Lumping 20 million people from such diverse cities into a blob the size of Georgia and giving it a name?
It's where the job growth and innovation happens, speaking generally. Texas outside of that area is, well, just Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin