Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:02 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
San Antonio got 2.5 times more gas than usual. This gas shortage is self-made by idiots panicking.
The mayor responding in the same type of panic doesn't help any. Has there been any type of statement made by the mayor here in regard to the panic?

I was up way too early at 5:30 this morning and saw several tankers delivering gas between north Austin and New Braunfels. I stopped and got gas for $2.39 at Buc-ees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
We just came through Bastrop on our way home from La Grange and Buc-ee's on 71 was almost out of fuel.

Not buying the "there's no shortage" bit any longer. It's a minor issue, but one worth staying on top of til things sort out. It's not really fair at this point to call people "idiots" for filling up. My daughter got home late last night from Dallas and Allandale stations were still out.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM

44 posts, read 43,857 times
If there is gas available at the terminals when the tankers are going to fill up to deliver to service stations, then there is no shortage supply (and that hasn't happened yet according to everything I've read). This is purely a spike in demand at stations that are not able to schedule more tanker deliveries with such drastic increases in demand. I was in Dallas this past week and watched the insanity until Saturday/Sunday when it finally calmed down. Fear and greed are incredible motivators.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We just came through Bastrop on our way home from La Grange and Buc-ee's on 71 was almost out of fuel.

Not buying the "there's no shortage" bit any longer. It's a minor issue, but one worth staying on top of til things sort out. It's not really fair at this point to call people "idiots" for filling up. My daughter got home late last night from Dallas and Allandale stations were still out.
These places are out because people are purchasing two to three times the amount of gas they would normally purchase, and gas stations were not prepared. If people bought gas as they normally would, there wouldn't be so many gas stations out of gas. If San Antonians were able to get their hands on 2.5 times the amount of gas they normally need for several days, then there is obviously no real shortage. People sitting in lines that are blocks long and fighting at the pumps when they don't even really need gas are idiots. They're only making it difficult for those who actually need gas to get it.

As mentioned above, these gas stations are being filled right back up the next day, so people are sitting in line for hours for nothing. They think the trucks are going to stop all of a sudden, but they keep coming back. I got the gas I needed at 1:30 am to avoid the gullible and those of low intelligence. I couldn't imagine going through life always panicking over non-existent issues. It must be highly stressful.

Last edited by L210; 09-04-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Here's more evidence that consumers are driving this gas shortage. Inconsiderate hoarders are filling up multiple gas cans and illegal containers, which is dangerous!

Hoarders blamed for aggravating run on fuel - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-04-2017, 10:43 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
I don't think Austin being 12% more educated really makes a difference. The same scare is happening everywhere not just San Antonio!

Dallas's gas panic was totally preventable. Here's why - Aug. 31, 2017

Old 09-04-2017, 10:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
The issue is one of terminal capacity and refinery shutdown. As the refineries wound down in advance of the hurricane, they stopped being able to pump into the pipelines that deliver gas to various terminals around the state. Normally, Houston steps up when Corpus is hammered, and vice-versa. This time BOTH got hammered - so there wasn't anyone able to restart the pipelines. They DO have the fuel - but it's at the refineries, so the trucks are having to go from Austin/SA to Corpus, and D/FW is able to get to SOME Houston terminals - otherwise, they have to hit Corpus as well (or LA). It's the transit times that are killing 'em - not enough trucks to overcome the increased transit times. Couple that with all the folks topping off every 50 miles, and yeah - supply can't keep up with demand.

Fear of running out of gas doesn't know demographics.....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin