Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times

Advertisements

We have a house on just under two acres in Oak Hill. We wanted more land, but found the perfect compromise just eight minutes from hubby's office. Our lot has given us ample room for privacy with a large garden plot, a chicken yard, a barn, a gazebo, a large meadow with a natural spring, and a couple hundred feet of creek frontage. We have over a hundred trees on the property and wildlife is ample here. No sidewalks or streetlights, either. It turned out to be just right size-wise for us. It takes a lot of work to keep up!

I wouldn't underestimate the rural-feel value that even just an acre affords. If we hadn't have opened our search to smaller lots, we'd have never found our little paradise here. There are several neighborhoods out here in Oak Hill that put you on a lot that size ... and only 20-25 min from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM

484 posts, read 534,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We have a house on just under two acres in Oak Hill. We wanted more land, but found the perfect compromise just eight minutes from hubby's office. Our lot has given us ample room for privacy with a large garden plot, a chicken yard, a barn, a gazebo, a large meadow with a natural spring, and a couple hundred feet of creek frontage. We have over a hundred trees on the property and wildlife is ample here. No sidewalks or streetlights, either. It turned out to be just right size-wise for us. It takes a lot of work to keep up!

I wouldn't underestimate the rural-feel value that even just an acre affords. If we hadn't have opened our search to smaller lots, we'd have never found our little paradise here. There are several neighborhoods out here in Oak Hill that put you on a lot that size ... and only 20-25 min from downtown.

That sounds really nice, I mean that sincerely. But a quick search of the greater oak hill area shows that it doesn't exist for new buyers for less than $400k+, and it barely exists at that price point with most being $500k+ and many being over a million. I don't think the OP had that price range in mind.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
That sounds really nice, I mean that sincerely. But a quick search of the greater oak hill area shows that it doesn't exist for new buyers for less than $400k+, and it barely exists at that price point with most being $500k+ and many being over a million. I don't think the OP had that price range in mind.
Well, that's surely becoming the case for the most part, I agree. We bought in the beginning of '08 and got a steal of a deal. But there *are* still some exceptions, particularly if one is willing to compromise with a smaller lot and a fixer upper. The point I was trying to convey is that you can still enjoy a more rural feel out here even on smaller lots, which will cost less. Our house is a '78 build and needed close to everything redone. Solid built home though, as are many of the same era out here. It was worth it. I did a quick 78736 search and found a house on .35 acres for 279k. There's a few more too with a bit more acreage out there. We have one in our neighborhood in the 378k range on an acre. Yes, the 250k steals may be gone. But if you concentrate your search and be willing to compromise a little, the country-within-the-city vibe is alive and well out here without totally breaking the bank.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Well, that's surely becoming the case for the most part, I agree. We bought in the beginning of '08 and got a steal of a deal. But there *are* still some exceptions, particularly if one is willing to compromise with a smaller lot and a fixer upper. The point I was trying to convey is that you can still enjoy a more rural feel out here even on smaller lots, which will cost less. Our house is a '78 build and needed close to everything redone. Solid built home though, as are many of the same era out here. It was worth it. I did a quick 78736 search and found a house on .35 acres for 279k. There's a few more too with a bit more acreage out there. We have one in our neighborhood in the 378k range on an acre. Yes, the 250k steals may be gone. But if you concentrate your search and be willing to compromise a little, the country-within-the-city vibe is alive and well out here without totally breaking the bank.
Yea. We live on a half acre and while the area is not really rural but definitely suburban, you still get that remote/"out in the middle of nowhere" feel. One of the main entry points involves going down a very now, barely paved tree-lined country road parallel to Brushy Creek. All along brushy creek there's still unspoiled, wild country. Right next to our thirty year old subdivision are ranches and clear privately owned land. Lots of wildlife and trees, but still close to lots of amenities. I don't mind seeing neighbors, as long as there's good space between the neighbors.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yea. We live on a half acre and while the area is not really rural but definitely suburban, you still get that remote/"out in the middle of nowhere" feel. One of the main entry points involves going down a very now, barely paved tree-lined country road parallel to Brushy Creek. All along brushy creek there's still unspoiled, wild country. Right next to our thirty year old subdivision are ranches and clear privately owned land. Lots of wildlife and trees, but still close to lots of amenities. I don't mind seeing neighbors, as long as there's good space between the neighbors.
Brushy Creek is another jewel of a neighborhood that feels rural. I love the combination of having neighbors *but* everyone is spread out, and there's mature trees everywhere. You can do a lot with a third or a half acre, too. We're in the ETJ out here so no city ordinances, which makes keeping livestock much easier. We only have a couple horses in our neighborhood, but it's really nice to occasionally see one clopping by. There's several neighborhoods in Oak Hill that are only 1/2 to 1 acre in lot size, but are situated around a lot of natural features and are well spread-out.

They probably feel more rural to me too because I was born and raised in SF and lived there until my early thirties. All the space and light out here really put a zap on me.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
Here is a search on austinhomesearch.com for > 2 acres, < 250,000, > 2000 sq ft. There are a lot out east and NW

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM

53 posts, read 61,866 times
I bought a house with 2.5 acres in Leander-just barely outside Cedar Park in 2013. Only takes me about 20-25 minutes to downtown (with no major traffic of course). The house is older and I have remodeled about 2/3rds of it, replaced the 2 air conditioners, water softener, hot water heater. Next year the kitchen will be remodeled. I love not seeing my neighbors, the quiet nights and the wildlife. It is a lot to take care of and the taxes have almost doubled since I bought it, so likely will sell in the next few years. I definitely will be asking much more for it than I payed as I have put a great deal of work into not only the house, but have also completely landscaped the front and backyard (one of my hobbies). It does have a pool which I really don't enjoy-just another expense. The houses in this neighborhood have 2.5 acres to 5 acres and most sell for over 500,000. I think the days of 250,000$ or less houses with land are gone, unfortunately.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
I live here in Texas and I've been looking for land too. Tbh Texas land is ridiculously high priced. Just go to zillow and put something simple like say 40,000 for max price and then zoom out and you'll see property everywhere except tx. The only exception is out west near El paso where land is cheep but its cheap because it's all desert and not good for farming or anything else really. They say that Texas land is around 3,000 an acre but that is a load of bs. That is an overall estimate including the land out west that noone wants thats why it says its lower than it actually is. Really land is more like 6000 and acre here. I'm gonna start looking at other states because tx has just become too expensive. Give it 10 years and it'll be as bad as California prices. Dont get me wrong y'all I love tx and I'm not talking badly about it. Tx is amazing. But its getting harder and harder for people to survive in america and that includes tx

Old 06-28-2021, 07:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay8137 View Post
I live here in Texas and I've been looking for land too. Tbh Texas land is ridiculously high priced. Just go to zillow and put something simple like say 40,000 for max price and then zoom out and you'll see property everywhere except tx. The only exception is out west near El paso where land is cheep but its cheap because it's all desert and not good for farming or anything else really. They say that Texas land is around 3,000 an acre but that is a load of bs. That is an overall estimate including the land out west that noone wants thats why it says its lower than it actually is. Really land is more like 6000 and acre here. I'm gonna start looking at other states because tx has just become too expensive. Give it 10 years and it'll be as bad as California prices. Dont get me wrong y'all I love tx and I'm not talking badly about it. Tx is amazing. But its getting harder and harder for people to survive in america and that includes tx
OP should check the prices NOW if they thought it was bad four years ago!!!

Old 06-28-2021, 09:45 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
Current asking prices around my acreage is pretty ridiculous.... $6/square foot! for under 30 acres.
The 50 acres next to me sold last year for $2.5 million.
Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin