Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 13,382 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So I'm in the early stages of planning a week long trip to the Austin/ lake Travis area for the end of April 2017, and am looking for some advice/tips. There's about 7 of us going. Age range is 25-55. Looking to do some boating, jet skiing, exploring Austin, and every thing else that's fun. Also looking to rent a house on the lake. We know nothing about the area, just what we've read online. I've called 4 different travel agents in Austin, but they have been no help. They only seem to do international vacations or cruises. Any way, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,765 times
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...tin_Texas.html
you can find places to rent on this site or you can try AirBnB

Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link. Are you from the area? Could you or anyone else tell me about lake Travis? What area of the lake is closest to Austin? I've read a lot about it, but not sure about the good/bad of it. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
We are out on the lake almost every weekend. Areas of the 'south' shore are generally closer to downtown, but depending on where you are going, it is not a huge difference. See the attached map.

Hudson Bend is a good location on the lake, as it is closer to most of the 'happening' areas and still relatively easy into Austin (via 620/Hwy 71). Multiple marinas on this bend. Our boat is at the Sail and Ski marina across from Graveyard Point, which has excellent access to one of the better skiing areas (west side of Hudson Bend) and several good coves for anchoring.

The Volente area across the lake from Hudson Bend is not too bad, but you are a bit further from the smoother areas of the lake that are west of Hudson Bend. The main basin and the Jonestown arm (the arm running to the north on the west side of Volente) more often can get very rough.

Lakeway marina generally does a lot of rental stuff and usually has a good staff.

Point Venture (across from Lakeway) has lots of lodging, but that will leave you a looong drive into Austin. Lago Vista is a little better and directly across from Pace Bend Park, which can be a 'happening' place.

Sorry, just kind of 'stream of consciousness'. If you are going to scuba dive, I can also fill you in on some shops/dive spots.
Attached Thumbnails
planning a guys trip to austin/lake travis-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-21-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Thanks train wreck, lots of good info. About how far a drive is the bend from Austin? If we didn't feel like driving on any particular day, are there bars and restaurants in that area?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
There are a couple on the lake that you can boat up to (maybe only the Gnarly Gar now?), although several have closed during the drought (i.e. Johnny Finn's, Carlos and Charlies). And Lakeway (pretty much all along 620 from Hudson Bend south to Hwy 71, is covered in retail, restaurants, and bars. Down to the warehouse district or other central locations is probably 40 minutes during off-hours, more like an hour during rush hour.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Ok great. If it were you, and you didn't live in the area, would it be an area you'd consider spending a week at? Or would you pick a different lake/location in Texas?

Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 PM

I would not spend a week out at Lake Travis. At most, 3 days and then the rest I'd go downtown - stay at a hotel, go to all the restaurants, bars, walk around Lake Austin, etc. If you want some recos for that kind of thing, tell us if you want fancy/swanky or casual, what kind of food, vibe, etc. You will be so bored and not get a sense of Austin at all if you spend a week out at the lake. Unless you just want to boat, play golf and drink - but even then it's too much time. And, if you've never been to Austin you'd want to take in the downtown and maybe east side scene.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:15 PM

remember it will be 100 degrees you can also do some "lake activities" on Lake Austin/now Lady Bird Lake downtown. Like SUP, kayaks, water bikes. But not jet skis and boats. You could do that though by the Hula Hut though, I think, to some extent. But for real baoting activities what Trainwreck said.

If I was entertaining friends I'd consider the following: eating out at various great restaurants downtown and on east side, going up to Mount Bonnell, doing something on Lake Austin, walking on the hike and bike trail around Lake Austin, catching a classic movie at the Paramount, or a movie at Violet Crown or Drafthouse, hearing jazz at Elephant Room, looking up live music shows and picking based on music you like, walking/eating/shopping/people watching along South Congress, walk around and in the Capitol, drinks at the Four Seasons bar, eat lots of breakfast tacos, Umlauf scuplture garden, take a dip at Barton Springs Pool, etc.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Thanks clarksvillemom. Reco's would be great. We're a laid back casual group. We might do one fancy dinner, but for the most part, cool bars, good eats, live music, beers and fun are what were about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin