Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:12 PM

944 posts, read 3,957,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I got my engineering degree and then waited tables in town for several years until I could find a 'proper' slacker job...working at the state!
The STATE? Come on, man, you know the true slacker makes money by participating in those drug-test studies, getting some tips while playing in a mediocre garage band in a run-down bar, and serving coffee to hungover slackers in extremely funky local coffeehouses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,693,423 times
Yes, I confess, I wasn't a true slacker. I even pay bills on time, most of the time. But the state job was a close as I could get to being a slacker and still buy a new car when mine was dying of old age. If it had not been falling apart, I would have kept waiting tables. I worked a fixed schedule of 5 nights a week (about 32 hours a week with Mon-Tues off). A typical day involved playing disc golf, followed by Campbell's hole or Twin Falls, then go to work, followed by volleyball at Aussies until around 3 in the morning (the manager would leave the lights on while she did paperwork). Somedays the Crown and Anchor darts would replace Aussies. Ahhh...the good old days

Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Trainwreck, please accept my apologies. You definitely qualify. Disc golf and a 32-hour-a-week job waiting tables with an engineering degree? You've definitely earned the right to be called a Native Slacker.

My hat (were I wearing one) would be off to you, sir! Keep on slacking, and keep Austin, uhhh, word? What's that slogan? Sorry, man, just smoked 47 bongloads of hydro and can't think over the blasting stereo playing Stevie Ray Vaughn..... man, I need a Mangia pizza and a 6-pack of Shiner Bock....

Old 12-02-2006, 10:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,133,259 times
Thanks for the information on the original discussion/question.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 AM

164 posts, read 728,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Come on, man, you know the true slacker makes money by participating in those drug-test studies, getting some tips while playing in a mediocre garage band in a run-down bar, and serving coffee to hungover slackers in extremely funky local coffeehouses!
And don't forget the couch surfing. You haven't properly slacked until you've evaded at least three months of rent by mooching couch time from friends.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
And don't forget the couch surfing. You haven't properly slacked until you've evaded at least three months of rent by mooching couch time from friends.
Wow, you get points for having your user name and making that post. You're the real deal!

Speaking of couches, I aspire to own a house in south Austin with a couch on the front porch. Someday.... just gotta get around to thinking about maybe earning some money somehow......

Old 12-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
just gotta get around to thinking about maybe earning some money somehow......
No need for money. All it takes is a well-worn hand-me-down. Any slacker would be proud to own a friend's refuse.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No need for money. All it takes is a well-worn hand-me-down.
True story:
Last night I had a free bed delivered. Did I tell this story already? ahh, like a true slacker I can't remember anything. But back to the story.

A few days ago I was in the Fresh Plus on West Lynn and chatted with an old buddie who works the deli counter. I was telling him about how screwed up my back is and how I need to find a cheap bed, asked if he had any advice besides garage sales and Craigslist. He didn't have any suggestions. But as I walked away, a woman followed me and said "excuse me, I'm sorry for listening in on your conversation but I have a bed I need to get rid of."

Long story short, last night she and her boyfriend showed up with a queen-sized bed that is in great shape and is perfect for my back! But it gets better: I was sitting with my checkbook saying "I'm GOING to pay you so just tell me how much" and they both insisted that they didn't want a penny for it!!!

Then it got "small world" better: I asked which charity I could make a donation to instead of paying them and they said "the Church of Conscious Harmony." I said "I know the founders of the church, I'm a friend of Heidi's." And they got all excited and said "You're Heidi's friend George???!!!" It was one of those moments where you feel like there's harmony in the universe. It was as if all the little anonymous good deeds I've perfomed came back to me in one big moment of karmic reunion. Now I feel inspired to give more of myself, not to take it for granted. I want to keep on living like this because money is pointless in a world where people are kind and everyone gets their basic needs met.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Yep, definitely got some good karma coming. Must be payback for all those drug test studies.

And I hear ya on the small world. By the way, you're not the George living in Legend Oaks, are you? I've heard about him.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
By the way, you're not the George living in Legend Oaks, are you? I've heard about him.
No, I don't live there, but I'm not surprised you've heard of someone who lives in a place called "Legend"

I'm in Barton's Mill, behind the South Lamar Kerby Lane Cafe. Hope there aren't any stalkers who randomly seek to terrorize guys named George trolling this site....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin