Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rose trail View Post
This is not a casual walking/biking trail. It is a part of a major transportation corridor across the city. So it would be quite like having a new road behind your house.
"A major transportation corridor".......... as in nothing that would appear as such, because it's for cyclists and pedestrians, no motorized vehicles. No pollution, no oil runoff, no noise, no out of control 4000lb missiles shooting through your backyard.

Ideally, lots of cyclists will use it for transportation. If a steady stream of cyclists pedaling through the woods bothers you, then I suppose you would then not like it.

Please do not shoot down something that would finally give cyclists a safe, enjoyable, efficient route through Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rose trail View Post
This plan is in the Westcreek Neighborhood. The information on the Violet Crown Website is old. The Urban Trails people want to put a multiuse trail behind greenbelt homes in the neighborhood, in the watershed. Everyone who lives along the greenbelt is frantic. The trail would be 20'-30' from some houses. It would be up next to the property line for many homes. This is not a casual walking/biking trail. It is a part of a major transportation corridor across the city. So it would be quite like having a new road behind your house. Newer information puts the size of the mini road at 12 feet paved, and 2'-5' clear cut shoulder on each side. Since the green belt is quite narrow, that would pretty much take the green out of the greenbelt. Therefore it would devalue the property that was purchased for a higher price because of the view. A few folks might find it an attractive option, but covering up the watershed in a flood zone does not sound like a good idea
I still own a property in Westcreek, purchased new in 1981. I really can't see any part of Westcreek likely being part of any "major transportation corridor across the city", at least I can't see it along any of the creek greenbelt alignments.

However, as I have already expressed in an earlier post. I would be extremely annoyed and opposed to the City suddenly decided, after years of neglecting maintenance of the greenbelts, and not only neglecting but opposing transportation needs in the SW Austin area, that they now wanted to put in hike/bike trails right up against my back yard. I have no question that it would devalue my property.

And I absolutely agree, given the years of CoA restricting the impervious cover on our residential lots to 45% to suddenly feel that they are entitled to install a 10'wide impervious asphalt road through the greenbelt is not only absurd, its hypocritical.

Count me in if the Westcreek neighborhood needs my support.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 PM

658 posts, read 2,007,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Really? Everyone? I got the impression that the OP lives along that green belt, and while he/she is appears to be seeking information, I don't sense 'panic'.
I, myself, am not in a panic yet. I don't like the idea of this "trail" that will clear cut a 21 foot wide strip through the greenbelt. It is probably only 30 feet or so to the creek edge behind my house as it is.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,456,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Can't see how the City could do that; could be a HOA restriction I guess.
it was the city

Old 08-08-2014, 06:08 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
it was the city
There are only two subdivisions in the City of Austin "off 1826", and I know one of them has gates from backyards to the greenbelt. So, which subdivision are you talking about?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

And I absolutely agree, given the years of CoA restricting the impervious cover on our residential lots to 45% to suddenly feel that they are entitled to install a 10'wide impervious asphalt road through the greenbelt is not only absurd, its hypocritical.
So a path that is probably less than 1% cover in the greenbelt (if that, it's probably a non-linear response) makes limiting owners to _45%_ cover (plus the 100% cover of the roadways those owners use) hypocritical?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
The hand-wringing in this thread over what will be an incredibly attractive amenity is both hilarious and so-typically Austin. CAVE people never cease to amuse me.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The hand-wringing in this thread over what will be an incredibly attractive amenity is both hilarious and so-typically Austin. CAVE people never cease to amuse me.
Well, I think reasonable people can disagree about whether a backyard hike/bike path is desirable or not. It's a subjective matter, and I can see how some who like the "nothing" that they have now would prefer it stay that way.

Then there is the separate question of impact on the value of those homes.

In new-builder neighborhoods where the entire master plan is already laid out, including homes for example that may back to the Brushy Creek Trail in exactly the same way these will, those lots cost a premium and still sell faster than interior lots. Whether they sell for more than a lot backing to dedicated "forever" greenbelt is a tossup because many do in fact prefer accessibility to the trail system while others value privacy.

Steve

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, I think reasonable people can disagree about whether a backyard hike/bike path is desirable or not. It's a subjective matter, and I can see how some who like the "nothing" that they have now would prefer it stay that way.

Then there is the separate question of impact on the value of those homes.

In new-builder neighborhoods where the entire master plan is already laid out, including homes for example that may back to the Brushy Creek Trail in exactly the same way these will, those lots cost a premium and still sell faster than interior lots. Whether they sell for more than a lot backing to dedicated "forever" greenbelt is a tossup because many do in fact prefer accessibility to the trail system while others value privacy.

Steve
The same people bitching about the City installing "impervious cover" will be bragging about what an incredible trail they live on. Everyone who's worried about this should do themselves a favor, load up the bikes and take the family to visit the Walnut Creek Trail to see how amazing these urban trails are:

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...ompressed_.pdf

Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Well, when I lived up there, Walnut Creek park was known for its 'drug central' status - everyone went there to buy their drugs :P. Maybe it has changed since the late 90s....

The trails were great for biking, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin