Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,913 times

Advertisements

I would think this is something car insurance covers. Debris on a highway or any road for that matter does hit and damage windshields. It's just a fact of driving on roads. It happened to me when there was no construction around. Gieco covered it 100%, new windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I would think this is something car insurance covers. Debris on a highway or any road for that matter does hit and damage windshields. It's just a fact of driving on roads. It happened to me when there was no construction around. Gieco covered it 100%, new windshield.
He already said he has no comp coverage.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM

207 posts, read 464,220 times
I swear the "you can't prove it was us!" line just makes me want to get a dashcam on my new car, given how many aggregate haulers around here don't bother to secure their load or clean their trucks. The 290 construction was especially awful.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
I swear the "you can't prove it was us!" line just makes me want to get a dashcam on my new car, given how many aggregate haulers around here don't bother to secure their load or clean their trucks. The 290 construction was especially awful.
Ok so you do that and your dash cam shows a rock flying from the roadway as a big truck passes over it. You still can't proove it was their fault the rock was there. The video is meaningless.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM

207 posts, read 464,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Ok so you do that and your dash cam shows a rock flying from the roadway as a big truck passes over it. You still can't proove it was their fault the rock was there. The video is meaningless.
If the rock came from the road it isn't their fault. But I was thinking of a specific occurrence which I've seen or been hit with multiple times: The truck is driving with debris all over the wheel wells or the rear gate not secured, then it hits a bump and you see gravel and dirt fall down, bounce along, and then smack into your car or the car next to you.

If they don't just pay and you have to take it to small claims, a preponderance of evidence is all you need. A video of the debris falling from their vehicle and impacting yours is more than enough.

I'm really confused as to why it is such a common occurrence around here though. "Secure and inspect your load" is one of the fundamentals of hauling. Most CDL schools drive the point home by showing a russian dashcam video that in 30 seconds makes every single Wheels Of Tragedy/Mechanized Death driver's ed shock video seem like Sesame Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin