Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,242,164 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Austin a few years ago, but try to keep up with the state of the transportation system in the city since it was (and remains) my largest sore spot about an otherwise impressively growing city.

This Bergstrom Expressway idea has been kicked around for a while, but seems to be gaining a bit of traction at this point. Does anyone have a bit more information on whether it seems to be getting the political traction to get built?

I remember many Austin transportation fights of the past, so it would be interesting to know the opinions of the C/D community on whether this is a reasonable response to help slow Austin's congestion issues. Thoughts?

Website for reference:

Bergstrom Expressway - A new way to get things moving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
I'd love to see what they're actually talking about, but everything I read, including a lot of the FAQ, especially what is it, talked all the way around it without ever answering that very critical question, what is it EXACTLY that you're proposing to do?

That means I can't give you an opinion except that when someone never really answers the most basic question I grab hold of my purse and any other important belongings.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,859,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd love to see what they're actually talking about, but everything I read, including a lot of the FAQ, especially what is it, talked all the way around it without ever answering that very critical question, what is it EXACTLY that you're proposing to do?

That means I can't give you an opinion except that when someone never really answers the most basic question I grab hold of my purse and any other important belongings.
Check the "maps" section on the link provided by the OP. It's a very detailed description of what the proposal is.

In short, turning the section of 183 from 290 to 71 into a free-flowing expressway, instead of the current stretch that has traffic lights.

Would it solve traffic woes across the city? Most definitely not, but it would be a significant improvement for that stretch of road.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

This is exactly the feeling I get when reading through the website - it doesn't say what is actually going on now. All I can really tell is that the EIS supposedly started in 2013 and the tolled roadway is scheduled to open in 2019, with very little detail in between.

Has there been or will there be a referendum on this?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Scroll down past maps: Maps - Multimedia, Maps, Videos & More - Bergstrom Expressway

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,378,333 times
Between it and 130 we can begin to think about (gulp) fixing I-35.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Since 183 is closer in, vs 130, it offers shorter way around DT, via 71 or continuing on SB 183 to 45, back to I35. Also a direct path to ABIA for SB travel. This modification will be especially important if and when construction takes place on 35 through the downtown core.

Removing that stretch of stoplights will divert more traffic. Just don't expect it to be toll free.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 21,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Between it and 130 we can begin to think about (gulp) fixing I-35.
Exactly. This road must be completed before you can even begin to unclog 35.

The EIS takes 2 years to complete and isn't something the average driver would notice. Construction would start in 2016 once Mopac is done and would take three years to complete.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,144,911 times
Im absolutely for it.

183, 620, 71 should be a seamless loop around the city.

Add in high speed interchanges with 360 (at 183, mopac and 71) and mopac at 183 and 71 and you get some decent additional loops.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atxroads View Post
Exactly. This road must be completed before you can even begin to unclog 35.

The EIS takes 2 years to complete and isn't something the average driver would notice. Construction would start in 2016 once Mopac is done and would take three years to complete.
Thanks for this information. It appears that unlike past road improvement projects in Austin this one is actually getting some traction (at least on C/D!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin