Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 32,650 times

Advertisements

We got into town yesterday. LOVE the city, HATE the traffic. (I've been here less than 24hrs, and I've already come to terms with the fact that I will likely be mowed down on I-35 before I see another birthday.)

We relocated for work, so right now we're in a hotel, looking for a place to lease for a while. It's kind of hard to be picky about where we rent, since I really don't know anything about the area. We're talking to some locators, which is helpful.

From what I understand, 6th street is a must-do for first timers, but I don't really have any other info other than what I've found online. Any other suggestions/ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
A friend of mine long ago moved to Austin and needed to find a doctor, so she went to several to 'interview' them (or, for the good ones, be intervied). Anyway, one of them asked her, "What is the easiest, most sure fire way to increase your life expectancy?"....she guessed not smoke, exercise, don't get into drugs... All wrong, according to the doctor. He told her "Stay off I-35".

Anyway, hard to know what you like to do...for me, I avoid 6th street now (just makes me feel old ), but occasionally go to the warehouse district (which is on the other side of congress near 4th street area). The bats might be still flying out from under Congress bridge, which is great to see a time or two, but they may have headed south for the winter, not sure. If you like hiking, try the hike and bike trail around Town lake (western end is nicer).

Mountain biking is good, if you like to imperil life and limb (like my wife). Canoeing on Town lake will be great when it warms up into the 70s again...Also, volleyball at Aussies (volleyball is great, food is...variable). Live music is pretty much everywhere......

Old 10-19-2006, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 32,650 times
Mountain biking sounds great! I'm one of those types that *needs* to stay 'into' something or another, or I'll just laze about and get chubby. (The ole man needs some exercise, too... I could care less about what he looks like, but his health isn't something I'm willing to be flexible on)

I've heard a lot about the green belts - gonna try looking into that.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,142 times
We're also new to Austin, and we really enjoyed visiting Zilker Park. I would check it out! Also you might want to drive out to Lake Travis and have lunch or something - it's a beautiful area!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM

122 posts, read 180,349 times
Go downtown one night a listen to a good band. That's one of Austin biggest perks you can always find great bands rock, country and blues its all downtown. Rent a boat if it isn't to cold and take a tour of lake Travis. Also we have some great restaurants all over the place a stop at Tex Mex restaurant is a must "Trudy's" three locations in and around downtown. The Xmas tree will be coming up at zilker always a family favorite. Also if its sunny barton springs is a good people watching place $3 at the gate. Footballlll Texas games are a great way to meet some really good people at the tail gates. Alamo draft house is the best movie joint in town and you can sit down and have a beer with your movie along with a burger our their pizza is top shelf.

I could go on for a long time (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin