Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,940,178 times

Advertisements

Here is a great photostream from ABIA during F1 including some of the 747s hauling cargo, and international charter flights:

https://www.facebook.com/abia/photos_stream

A few highlights:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,993,941 times
I really enjoyed those pictures! My husband is a law enforcement pilot who is housed at the TxDOT terminal at ABIA. He was surprised that they had absolutely no different procedures or requirements during F1 this year. Last year, they had to put in special requests/flight plans in order to leave or arrive. This year, nada.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,994,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
If Austin hotel tax revenue increases were such a drop in the bucket compared to the $25 million per year, how can you assume hotel taxes way out in Waco are going to matter much at all? Wouldn't Austin, by far, have the lions share of hotel tax revenue? Wouldn't it be a safe assumption that they saw more of an increase than San Antonio and Waco together?

I don't know. That's a matter for the state analysis, when they decide if they'll actually pay $25 million from the METF.

And it's not just the hotel taxes. It's the sales taxes (the 6.5% state share, as compared to the 1% city share).

Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Compare the city expenses vs. the city benefits (we came out _far_ ahead), and the state expenses vs. the state benefits (which the state will do for the METF).

Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,994,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
The issue is the quarter billion dollars of taxes spent...not just the city's $1 million expenses. And other events happening at the track are their own deal. This isn't $25 million per year that went to the track, it's $25 million per year to convince F1 to hold its event at the track. I'm asking where in the world that is worth our tax dollars. We can hold X games, and Moto GP, and everything else and those don't require a quarter billion dollar bribe (sorry...incentive fee) for a business to run its profitable business here.
>>The issue is the quarter billion dollars of taxes spent...not just the city's $1 million expenses.

As I explained, if you're only looking at the city's direct benefits, then the only appropriate expense to look at is the cities expenses. If you're worried about the "quarter of a billion dollars" (most of which is years away), then you need to look at the entire state's benefits.

>> And other events happening at the track are their own deal.
But they, and the track, wouldn't exist without F1. F1 is what built the track, and F1 is what keeps it in business.
Come on, you can't really pretend that a 300 million dollar track (payed for privately) would have magically popped up in the middle of Elroy absent F1, are you?

Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,385,056 times
Talking about F1: The F1 blog: Postcard from Austin

People who think this is anything but a huge deal for this city are crazy.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,964,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Talking about F1: The F1 blog: Postcard from Austin

People who think this is anything but a huge deal for this city are crazy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The expenses of hosting the Grand Prix are a pittance in comparison to the recognition that is brought to Austin. This has literally put us on the map, it is an awesome event and we need to do whatever it takes to keep this event.

The expenses are also lower than what the NFL or MLB demands today from host cities, the NFL demands billion dollar stadiums and the MLB demands 300 million dollar stadiums. An F1 track is cheap in comparison.

That being said, they need to think about building some more bathrooms, there just aren't enough and FEMA trailers and portapotties just aren't cutting it. The lines were atrocious.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,083,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
How about you talk to the 57% of Austin small businesses that saw increased revenues - some rather dramatic - then come pile back on with your "I got my ass kicked in the free market" bull****.

Face it. You're bitter because your meal ticket didn't show up. You lost. Suck it up and find a way to get a piece of the pie.
How can you refer to any subsidized activity as part of a 'free market'? A free market connotes a market with NO interventions. A government subsidized event DESIGNED to drum up business and tax revenue is that antithesis of a free market.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,083,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The expenses of hosting the Grand Prix are a pittance in comparison to the recognition that is brought to Austin. This has literally put us on the map, it is an awesome event and we need to do whatever it takes to keep this event.
I am pretty sure Austin has literally been showing up on maps since the 1830s. Now, it may originally have shown up up as 'Waterloo'....

Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,626,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I am pretty sure Austin has literally been showing up on maps since the 1830s. Now, it may originally have shown up up as 'Waterloo'....
Bazinga!

Good one!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,964,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You're on a roll today darlin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin