Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 AM

593 posts, read 470,629 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with this as long as they test the kids that are acting suspicioius like the ones that skip school repeatedly, disrupt classes, fighting all the time, bullies, ect...but there really is no need to test the regular students and the athletes since they don't deserve that infringement on their privacy.

In the end it boils down to profiling/blackballing students anyway, so why not focus on the ones that are the troublemakers and school skippers.

AND I heard on the radio this morning that Cops who shoot kids and dogs in Austin and surrounding areas like Georgetown, SHOULD be drug tested immediately for cocaine, meth and other dreadful drugs. Cops are not angels and they have more access to potent drugs than the rest of us.

So drug test the suspicious hoodlums and reckless cops is my position. what's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
By testing the 'suspicious' ones, you are going to get busted for profiling an a slew of other legal challenges. The only way you can legally run such a program is a two part system - 1) random testing (which, imho, should include teachers and admin as well as students) and 2) 'for cause' - testing if you violated a specific, written criteria - i.e. caught with alcohol or drugs, miss school x number of times, etc. You can't just do it because 'I think he needs testing'.

OTOH, I don't know that it is really that useful a program in a HS, but dunno....

Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,508 times
Targeting a group to test removes the meaning of random

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
By testing the 'suspicious' ones, you are going to get busted for profiling an a slew of other legal challenges. The only way you can legally run such a program is a two part system - 1) random testing (which, imho, should include teachers and admin as well as students) and 2) 'for cause' - testing if you violated a specific, written criteria - i.e. caught with alcohol or drugs, miss school x number of times, etc. You can't just do it because 'I think he needs testing'.

OTOH, I don't know that it is really that useful a program in a HS, but dunno....

Disruptive kids, bullies, school skippers are valid reasons to go ahead and pop those kids with a drug test. that's not profiling, ,that's noticing a negative trend and making a move on it.

If you do random tests, you will still hit legl troubles because going to public school and playing sports is not mandatory, it's voluntary since it's a public school paid for by tax money, so they can voluntarily deny the tests if they so choose. Teachers, coaches and admin on the other hand are HIRED, so they should be the ones that have the random tests on.

If it was a private school, you'd have a valid reason to do it. .

Last edited by BatWing; 06-20-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Targeting a group to test removes the meaning of random

school skippers, bullies and class disrupters are not targeted groups. they are negative aspects of kids lives. and a healthy intervention is better than a random blanket test.

what if a hoodlum sneaks crack/meth or weed into an honor students bag? whose in trouble? the hoodlum or the honor student? see the slippery slope here?

You have to focus on kids behavior in school. a random blanket test will do nothing to curb the activity. because most drug dealers don't smoke their supply, so if you test the druggies, you catch them, but you still haven't caught the distributor yet. so the drugs keep coming in.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM

And let's not forget about these reckless Cops out here shooting kids and dogs claiming self defense all the time and gettin' off without a warning? I think those Cops that shoot to kill should be tested immediately because who knows what they were on when they pulled that trigger.

I'm actually in the process of doing an Open Records request with Wilco and Travis county to see how many Cops were actually drug tested after they shot and killed a person or a dog.

For their sake, they better hope they did them.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM

198 posts, read 397,807 times
Using your words- define what a school skipper is. How many times would a child need to skip school? Define a bully- someone who is mean to another kid that you heard about through "so and so's" mom?

And hoodlums sneaking crack into an honor student's bag?....goodness that sounds like something from a Lifetime movie.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post

Parents have to focus on kids behavior in school. a random blanket test will do nothing to curb the activity.
Here. Fixed this part for you.

Quote:
because most drug dealers don't smoke their supply, so if you test the druggies, you catch them, but you still haven't caught the distributor yet. so the drugs keep coming in.
Totally. completely, horribly wrong. Particularly when you're talking about HS students.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
Using your words- define what a school skipper is. How many times would a child need to skip school? Define a bully- someone who is mean to another kid that you heard about through "so and so's" mom?

Easy -

School skipper - misses more than 10-12 days a month. a pattern is created. I used to be one of these until my dad shut me down.

Bully - Always starting mess with other kids to intimidate or controll them or just to bother them. These types are easy to spot.

Classs disrupters - needs no explanation.

These 3 types are sure to bag some social misfits. which is the aim anyway.

Quote:
And hoodlums sneaking crack into an honor student's bag?....goodness that sounds like something from a Lifetime movie.
Only if you live in a bubble. Some schools even have daycares now...REALLY? WOW?!! who knew?? sounds like a lifetime movie too

Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
You have to focus on kids behavior in school. a random blanket test will do nothing to curb the activity.
Actually, the experience when random testing has been instituted is exactly the opposite. When the military started it in the eighties, drug use was cut by 85%. The reason is, the casual user now faced a credible downside. They also had an excuse to resist the social pressure, which is real.

I understand that the "activity" you refer to is the sale. But if demand goes down by 85%, how much sale activity do you think will survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin