Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 24,282 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Austin for about a year and finally brought my mastercraft here. I am hearing that Lake Travis is completely closed to public boaters and that lake austin is too busy to use? Is it still worth going to if you go early in the am? I was also considering canyon lake since I live in south Austin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not new to boating but I am new to these bodies of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
I have lived in Austin for about a year and finally brought my mastercraft here. I am hearing that Lake Travis is completely closed to public boaters and that lake austin is too busy to use? Is it still worth going to if you go early in the am? I was also considering canyon lake since I live in south Austin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not new to boating but I am new to these bodies of water.
Travis isn't closed.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 PM

The public landings arent closed?

I was just in west marine today and they said every public landing was closed but one and they are charging 30-40 to launch

Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
landings are closed, but not the lake. If your boat is at a private dock or marina, then you can still launch.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
landings are closed, but not the lake. If your boat is at a private dock or marina, then you can still launch.
Well then I guess it being closed is a matter of opinion. I am trailering so to me it is closed and I mentioned closed to the public in the original post. If a mod wants to edit the subject please go ahead.

Anyways back to the original topic...

Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Canyon Lake is good....I was there 2 weeks ago and their ramps are open. Lake LBJ is good, and our new favorite...lake Belton. We never go to Travis anymore, mainly because it has gotten so crowded and dangerous, with dodging careless, drunken, speedy "cigarette" boats. Belton has a safer vibe and fewer show offs and looks just like Travis. Canyon Lake also seems more laid back and should be pretty full with all the rain they've had down there. And you are correct that all public ramps are closed. You can only use Travis for boating if you live on the lake and have a dock, or store your boat at one of the marinas. Lake Buchanan is also in bad shape, so skip it as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Canyon Lake is good....I was there 2 weeks ago and their ramps are open. Lake LBJ is good, and our new favorite...lake Belton. We never go to Travis anymore, mainly because it has gotten so crowded and dangerous, with dodging careless, drunken, speedy "cigarette" boats. Belton has a safer vibe and fewer show offs and looks just like Travis. Canyon Lake also seems more laid back and should be pretty full with all the rain they've had down there. And you are correct that all public ramps are closed. You can only use Travis for boating if you live on the lake and have a dock, or store your boat at one of the marinas. Lake Buchanan is also in bad shape, so skip it as well.
Belton looks nice but that is a pretty far drive. Thanks a ton for the update on canyon. If you have any ramp recommendations please let me know. Would you say lake Austin is not usable?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
Belton looks nice but that is a pretty far drive. Thanks a ton for the update on canyon. If you have any ramp recommendations please let me know. Would you say lake Austin is not usable?
lake austin is constant level. I see a lot of people launching at the launch at pennybacker

Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,777 times
U could prolly drop in at the beach area at pace bend if u got a good truck...

Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
The beach at Pace Bend was unlaunchable months ago. The water is too low, we've tried.

We launch at 360 dam and also Steiner Ranch. It's not that crowded if you're out there before 3pm on a weekday. We don't go on the weekends because it does get too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin